Thread: Another Newbee

User Info Menu

Default Another Newbee

Hi everybody

Another newbee, despite having posted already, but I thought I better do a proper introduction.

I'm pretty much a complete beginner (at 26yrs old) having only picked up my first electronic kit (DTXplorer) four weeks ago.

Can't get enough of it at the moment, although university coursework is kinda getting in the way a bit at moment, so roll on summer holiday!

So far I have been pretty much noodling every night for at least 4 hours. Spend most of the time playing along to stuff, mainly blues and rock, such as SRV, muse, linkin park, metallica and The Who.

Really need to touch up on my skills with counting 16th notes (Hemidemisemiquaver as my guitarist friend told me last night lol)

quarters, eighths are a piece of piss, just the 16ths. Also hihat control is another issue but considering i've been going 4 weeks without picking up an instrument before it's a good start.

I find I end up speeding up towards the end or miss a few or both.

I think I need to invest in a practice pad with a metronome, so I can practice in my bedroom in front of the pc. So any recommendations? Ideally quiet as possible. Seen ones with headphones?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another Newbee

Hi Dominic, I hope you're enjoying the start of your (endless) journey that is playing drums. I'm back playing after a while away and can't believe how much I've missed it.
    Anyway, if you have an Android phone there are two really great apps for drums, 'Andronome' is a really good metronome that uses an audible click, visual flash or vibrates to show time, as does 'Meganome'. Either of these are really useful. Also an app called 'Rude' is available again on Android and has 40 Rudiments. Theres also a facility to show examples. I'm betting they'll be available on I-Phone too. Oh, and they're all free.

User Info Menu

You spelled "newbie" wrong. But we'll let it go this time.

Welcome!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Dominic!

Drum Bum (who supports this site) has a Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer that would do what you want. Might want to check it out. When I looked, it was on sale.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC! Great site. Pull up your drum throne and jump in.

Tex

User Info Menu

hemidemisemi what?

Lets talk drums for a second here

Counting 8th goes... 1 And 2 And 3 And 4 And... You may see it written as 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

16ths we count as... 1 E And A (pronounced Uh or Ah). So 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a.. is how we would count 16ths

Triplets, theres two common ways.. 1 Trip Let, 2 Trip Let.... or 1 + a 2 + a.

hope that helps a bit
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

thanks guys.

Apparently Hemidemisemiquaver is taught predominately in classical music. Says it all really.

I did try 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a and was just about coping then tried...

"tea and coffee" which I found easier to count with. lol

Just checked out the Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer. Looks perfect! I've just been checking it out on youtube. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Dom, is that Oxford u.k. you're from?

User Info Menu

yeah. :-)

User Info Menu

Very limited UK suppliers but I managed to buy one (Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer) from a seller on Amazon tonight - New.

User Info Menu

can you let me know how you get on with it.

User Info Menu

Welcome dom this is an awesome forum

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC Dominic, hope you're find playing on an electronic kit as fun as an acoustic one (I certainly do, I started with and still play acoustic drums, but I also have a helluva lot of fun with electronic drums and percussion as well. Very handy for practice and teaching here at home, especially late at night!)

Ok, one thing I'll share with you, the "classical definition" of 16th notes isn't hemidemisemiquavers.....I'm afraid your guitarist mate put too many prefixes in that word there, hehe. It's semiquavers. Here's a table of note 'subdivisions' with the various classical terms and their numerical equivalents, which us drummers and percussionists tend to use. (I'm familiar with these as I often have kids come in from school and say that their teachers prefer them to use the classical terms, rather than what we use when I'm discussing drumming with them.....why??? Your guess is as good as mine, lol.)

Some you'll already know:

semibreve: whole note
    minum: half note
    crotchet: quarter note
    quaver: eighth note
    semiquaver: sixteenth note
    demisemiquaver: thirtysecond note
    hemidemisemiquaver: sixtyfourth note

Other names, such as triplets, quintuplets, sextuplets and septuplets, are common to both notation systems.

Just my two cents worth. Cheers.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-03-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

ah cool. I'll tell him that. Well... rib him for it as well, considering he studied music at university.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange
    can you let me know how you get on with it.
    Mine arrived today. First impressions are that it is a very well built piece of kit.

There are so many different settings and functions I'll have to spend a few hours just to go through it.

Also comes with a lifetime guarantee, which is a good sign.

I'll post up more once i've fathomed it all out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Hi everybody

Another newbee, despite having posted already, but I thought I better do a proper introduction.

I'm pretty much a complete beginner (at 26yrs old) having only picked up my first electronic kit (DTXplorer) four weeks ago.

Can't get enough of it at the moment, although university coursework is kinda getting in the way a bit at moment, so roll on summer holiday!

So far I have been pretty much noodling every night for at least 4 hours. Spend most of the time playing along to stuff, mainly blues and rock, such as SRV, muse, linkin park, metallica and The Who.

Really need to touch up on my skills with counting 16th notes (Hemidemisemiquaver as my guitarist friend told me last night lol)

quarters, eighths are a piece of piss, just the 16ths. Also hihat control is another issue but considering i've been going 4 weeks without picking up an instrument before it's a good start.

I find I end up speeding up towards the end or miss a few or both.

I think I need to invest in a practice pad with a metronome, so I can practice in my bedroom in front of the pc. So any recommendations? Ideally quiet as possible. Seen ones with headphones?
    Doesn't your E-kit have a built in click track / metronome?

User Info Menu

it does, but the kit lives down in the garage.

Nice to have something I can practice in and around the house with.