Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I Stop Drum ring w/out damping?

User Info Menu

Default Can I Stop Drum ring w/out damping?

I have just watched a Ginger Baker video Drumbledore posted on the rudiments thread which was very helpful. However the ringing his drums make is exactly the sound I want to avoid. I like a really definite sound, to be honest, my electric kit has the perfect amount of 'ring'!! On my acoustic kit when i do a triplet between foot and hands I hate the way the drums 'mush' together, when the sustain from the first washes over the next. Can I get a very singular note without resorting to dampening? Maybe a combination of batter and reso heads? I've thought about hydraulic, but thats kind of the same as damping. I'm thinking there is no way around it other than moongel or the like!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can I Stop Drum ring w/out damping?

Tuning skills and the choice of combo heads goes a long way to obtain a satisfying drum sound, also remember that you want your kit to sound good from the front from 10 yards away, not from the driver seat perspective, 9 times out of 10 a kit which sound reasonable from the seating POV will sound dead from the audience.

Experiment with head combos and tuning, with patience and dedication you'll find the sound you're looking for.

You can also use Remo's Zero ring on the kit when you're practicing alone, they can be easily removed when playing with other musicians or in a live situation.

Also, remember that electronic kits have processed drum sounds, it's not like a real acoustic drum sound with no effect whatsoever.

Good luck, you'll get there eventually.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with throwing a moongel or two on there. I've seen QUITE a few professionals use them live and in the studio.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Moongel, tissue and tape, nothing wrong with dampning to get the sound you want.

User Info Menu

Back in the day guys used to go into a studio session and stick their wallets on snares to damp em just right. It only became a real problem when they'd leave em there.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That ring /overtones is what allows your kit to be heard in a live situation, so if you playing with a band and you do not have mics and you mute your drums they will be lost in the mix.

I tend to kill a little ring when recording but live without mics, let it fly ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Moongel is a good damper. Easy to put on or off. I used it a lot then discovered Evan's EC edge control built into their heads. To me EC2's sound like the G2's with moongel on it.

User Info Menu

Moon gels all the way......

User Info Menu

coated reso's do it for me.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Back in the day guys used to go into a studio session and stick their wallets on snares to damp em just right. It only became a real problem when they'd leave em there.
    I do this...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I have some snares that ring more than others, and I like using an Evans Genera HD Dry batter head on those snares. I like using coated single ply heads on my toms, but if wanted an even warmer tone, you could go with a 2-ply coated head.

I also agree with BTM, that tuning is a big factor. Making sure the head is evenly tuned will do a lot to cut the overtones.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Snare drum= popsicle stick

User Info Menu

Let 'em sing. Someone else said it here earlier. What sounds good from the driver's seat, not always so good out front.

User Info Menu

Another idea is to tune lower, as you'll notice a bit less of the sustain you tend to get from high poppy tunings. You can also get a head such an a ebony pinstripe or a hydraulic that is built to handle sounding good at these tuning ranges, because technically you're not adding any external dampening - it's already integrated in and part of the head itself. It's another type of dampening, but you wouldn't have any clutter on the head. Besides, if it gets you the sound you want - why worry how you got there?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i did see a long time ago, something about tuning one tension rod much lower than the others would help with lessening sustain. do you know anything about this? i have had a go but couldn't get it to tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Rick, I still have to try that............do you have a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post
    i did see a long time ago, something about tuning one tension rod much lower than the others would help with lessening sustain. do you know anything about this? i have had a go but couldn't get it to tune.
    Never heard of that for reducing overtones..............maybe for some sympathetic snare buzz.

User Info Menu

Can you explain how you do that Rick or is it a secret.

User Info Menu

I do this all the time not just for ringing but for tonality and over tones. I don't detune a tension rod much though, just maybe 1/4 turn. I also find that on some snare drums if I loosen the resonant head more it reduces the over bright ring to a more fat round throaty sound that is more pleasant. I find this to be more common on metal snares. I hate to dampen snares, usually only do so for recording or small venues. Have had reasonable success with moon gel provided it doesn't fly off the head, masking tape, tissues, my wallet, and a Pearl drum key that is encased in a leather type pouch. I have used those remo rings, they bounce and move too much for me. My old rogers snare and my vintage luddies have mufflers. I can slightly or severely dampen with them if needed but rarely do so.

try loosening a snare side rod slightly furthest from your playing area, for me that is at the 11 or 2 oclock position from my playing position and I only detune one lug there and experiment with the ones at the snare bed and if needed closest to me. It is easier with 10 lug drums to fine tune, but 8 lugers are faster to hear results and need slightly less tweaking

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=longgun;527868]Rick, I still have to try that............do you have a pic?

Look at my snare in 1 of my vids, you can see where it is through the head.

User Info Menu

Can you explain how you do that Rick or is it a secret.

No secret at all. I've shown that to a lot of drummers over the years.

You take a popsicle stick, break it in half, sand the broken edge smooth, then tape it to the batter head and move it till you have no overtones. After you find that spot, tape it to the underside of the head in that spot. I use clear packing tape that I cut so that I have about 1/2" of tape around the stick.

I've been using them for 50 years. You can see it through my snare head on all of my vids.

User Info Menu

Rick, is there any reason as to why you use a popsicle stick or lolly stick as we call it here? Is there anything else that would work just as well? Oh, I can't seem to be able to find your videos, can you direct me to them. Thanx mate

User Info Menu

Newer members may have missed it, but towards the bottom of the main page above all the announcements and drumbum stuff is a sub-section called more drumming topics and at the bottom of that area you'll find the drum videos category. In there you'll find threads posted by members doing their own drumming, covers, band stuff, etc. It looks like this:

Alternatively, for quicker reference you can hit the new posts button highlighted in white at the top of the main page, or click on someone's name and search for posts or threads by that user.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Rick, is there any reason as to why you use a popsicle stick or lolly stick as we call it here? Is there anything else that would work just as well? Oh, I can't seem to be able to find your videos, can you direct me to them. Thanx mate

My first snare was wood, so there wasn't much of a problem with ringing.

After that, all my snares have been metal. Black Beauty's and Supras. Needless to say, the metal snares ring, and I tried a lot of different things to kill the ring yet not hurt the snare sound. Tried the popsicle stick 50 years ago, and have been using it ever since.

Russ wrote where to find them, and you will see (hear) that I can have a good snare sound and sharp rim shots without the ringing.

User Info Menu

might want to try taking the reso off. If not totally opposed to dampening do what Ringo did. you won't have any ringo gauranteed
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Take an old head and make a ring out of it to fit on top of the backside of your reso head inside your snare and/or tom. That way you will have muffling but you can't really see it unless you use clear heads. Plus you won't get the ring hooked on your stick anymore. I really hate that. Most of the time using just different tuning methods doesn't produce the amount of dampening one might desire.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 04-08-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash