Thread: resonant bass drum head

User Info Menu

Default resonant bass drum head

do I need this on to make my bass drum sound better? its been off ever since i bought my kit...

User Info Menu

i see a lot of drummers not have it, maybe itll make it louder, for like punk and stuff, but i think all drums have a more singing quality to them with the resonant heads on---

i guess it all comes down to the music you play and what effect u want

i know i saw the ramones kit once with no resonant head on the rack toms, and the mic stuck way up inside it--and i even saw some separate toms (a few of the many) on neil peart's kit without em, so im sure there's times for no resonant heads...

User Info Menu

Some drummers take them off during recording.

Basically without a resonant head, you have no resonance. No note per se. Which is fine if you want your bass drums to sound like a dull thud. However, if you want them to sound really deep and powerful. Then you should use the reso heads.

All about experimenting though. So if you like the sound, make it become your sound.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I see now, resonant head takes away the reso, well im gonna try putting it on right now. but tell me, does 2 pillows in my bass drum sound like a bit much? people always say, wow... you have a closet in your bass drum, i think 2 pillows? thats not much, and iv tried more and less pillows and blankets and im happy with just 2 pillows, mabye its my bass drum skin, it doesnt have its own muffler, like some bass drums, i dunno what it is..

User Info Menu

I advise keeping the resonant head on. Even if you have pillows inside, at least you'll have some "body" to the drum sound. Otherwise, it's too dry. From their, you can continue to experiment with muffling.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    I see now, resonant head takes away the reso, well im gonna try putting it on right now. but tell me, does 2 pillows in my bass drum sound like a bit much? people always say, wow... you have a closet in your bass drum, i think 2 pillows? thats not much, and iv tried more and less pillows and blankets and im happy with just 2 pillows, mabye its my bass drum skin, it doesnt have its own muffler, like some bass drums, i dunno what it is..
    I use 2 pillows. Works just fine

User Info Menu

yeah, I took a pillow out, tuned my reso head tighter then batter, then the other way around and it was still to dry, so i opened the reso again, put a second pillow in, and then tuned the bass drum again, I made the batter quite tight this time, and its got a nice clear thump to it. I was puzzled, because my batter was pretty tight, but im not complaining, i did get a better sound out of it, and when i get my superkick, it will probably sound leaps and bouns better.