Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The breaking point

User Info Menu

Default The breaking point

Do any of you feel snares can get a little unreasonably expensive? Like maybe it shouldn't be priced as high as it is? How much is too much to spend on one? Or cymbals for that matter? Do you ever feel like there's a point where companies are just taking advantage, and selling the drum/cymbal/gear for far greater than it's actually worth? Are companies going too far and price hiking to exploit fans of that company?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: The breaking point

Each one of us probably has a different "breaking point", based upon our budget, our financial means, our personal behavior in terms of compulsive buying or un-disciplined financial decision processes.

As far as what is too much for a manufacturer to charge for a product? The consuming public dictates that I think. If we buy it in enough volume that they are happy with, then its the right price. If they price it so high that nobody buys it.....then there is your answer.

User Info Menu

I can't get over the sticker shock so I'm doing the major drum kit upgrade once. I took it in the shorts selling my entry level/intermidiate kits to make up some cash flow. I'll never go this route again. I should of saved and spent the money on what I really wanted instead of compromising.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, any snare that isn't custom shouldn't be over 700. Black beauty run you a about 600 in my store, which I think is plenty.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    Black beauty run you a about 600 in my store, which I think is plenty.
    Close to what I paid for mine, $590 + tax. I got lucky and found my USA Custom snare as a used demo unit at my local indie music store. That sucker cost me as much as the new BB.

User Info Menu

I think in general that sound quality with snares tops out at around $500 and around $1500 for a 4 piece shell only kit. After that you are paying for looks and non-essential features. All this excludes solid shell stuff that is probably way more expensive to produce.

User Info Menu

I have only bought high end snares used for this reason. I got my top end snare for $380. Until I'm far better off financially I won't pay more than 400 for a snare.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Do any of you feel snares can get a little unreasonably expensive? Like maybe it shouldn't be priced as high as it is? How much is too much to spend on one? Or cymbals for that matter? Do you ever feel like there's a point where companies are just taking advantage, and selling the drum/cymbal/gear for far greater than it's actually worth? Are companies going too far and price hiking to exploit fans of that company?
    Yes.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

You guys know that drum companies only spend like $2 or $300 maybe even less to make a drum set. The rest of the price is basically just to make a profit. I've been told this by people who work in drum manufacturers.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

A decent snare sound is about $100. The rest is looks, workmanship and/or brand name and status. I only really look for a good throw off. Other than that, I can make just about any snare sound good.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    A decent snare sound is about $100. The rest is looks, workmanship and/or brand name and status. I only really look for a good throw off. Other than that, I can make just about any snare sound good.

all the best...
    The rest is just brand name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    You guys know that drum companies only spend like $2 or $300 maybe even less to make a drum set. The rest of the price is basically just to make a profit. I've been told this by people who work in drum manufacturers.
    I would hope they can make a drumset for less then they cost.
    @OP This is how I feel about zildjian K's and K Customs. They aren't hand hammered, and are just marked up way too much.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

If you think $600 is too much to pay have a look at the Brady price tags ... $1400

Makes you wonder how much is markup and why you need a Brady badge to make you feel complete

User Info Menu

I bought my Pearl snare last year,14" Master 7 ply Maple. I got it for just over $300.I have seen the price of the same snare go up 2 times since I got mine.The are now over $400. I have to wonder what made the price go up on the same exact snare I have.
    I also think some companies do run the price up.I thin k Paiste is one of them.The quality is sub par at best and I say this because others I have talked to who have played far longer then I have already went through the Paiste cymbals and said never again because of how brittle they are.
    Sabian I would have to say is pretty fair when it comes to pricing vs quality.I see more and more drummers switching to Sabian or Meinl cymbals in the last few years.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

The problem is that there is more to pricing than simple manufacturing costs. Transport costs are rising all the time, and then there is that little annoying thing called supply and demand. Now, we all know that sometimes a manufacturer will create their own shortage in order to drive up price, but there is also the honest run on particular items that make them more valuable, too. Also, some things are mass produced, other things are made entirely by hand, and then there is a whole range that falls in between those two.

Keep in mind there are many people that are price driven when they buy (that group would necessarily include me), while others have the income that lets them make a range of other buying decisions. Some are willing to support true artisans, and will buy higher priced gear as a result. I'm just glad that there is a range of good gear out there, and I have the opportunity to buy quality gear in the range that I can afford. For those who want to be more discriminating, I say good for them.

The sad part of the current economy is that price is rising faster than salaries. This is simply of fact of life in inflationary economies. Generations before us have experienced it, and weathered it. We can do it too. It's really all about delaying gratification, and taking the time to save for the things that we want. Here in the US, this is not something that recent generations have done very well.

I guess we're learning.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It's ridiculous how expensive some snares can get. The most expensive snare I've ever seen was a 24 karat gold-plated Ludwig steel snare selling for $10,000.

The most expensive snare I've seen that isn't some kind of special/limited run was a Tama snare made of solid cast brass. It was like $3,000...think it's discontinued now.

Even if I had the money to spend (which I don't) I wouldn't drop more than $500 on a snare.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Drumming is pretty expensive any way you look at it. Heads, sticks, cases, hardware, pedals, and the drums, cymbals and other things we hit. I have found that over the years better and better products keep croping up. Years ago if you didn't buy one of the brand name sets or cymbals you had real junk. Today there are many companies that originaly made marginal stuff that just got better and better. So you can get some great gear at relatively modest expense. I have set specific limits on what I will pay for any gear. It is somewhat capricious but just a point where I just say no. My artisan snares are great instruments. Are they better then less expensive snares? No. They have specific attributes that I appreciate and enjoy using them for. It is simply my pleasure. The listening audience wouldn't know if it was a craviatto or a Joyful noise. But I do. . What everyone is best doing is setting a budget for any equipment they want and auditioning a large array of products within that budget. I remember lusting after a 70'ish cuda hemi and was offered a used one for 3 grand. I really couldn't justify the expense at the time. If I had, and kept it in nice shape it would have been worth about 100k or more today. I bought my crav about 8 years ago and could sell it for more then I paid for it. I have no desire to do so however, I love it.

The companies are in business to make money, you are in the business of making music the price of their admission is set by them but decided upon by you. There are many great snares out there at all kinds of price ranges including used ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I would hope they can make a drumset for less then they cost.
    @OP This is how I feel about zildjian K's and K Customs. They aren't hand hammered, and are just marked up way too much.
    yep, those dw performance series sets i believe are made for less than $200. imagine how cheaply made snares are, yet the price on some can range as much as a performance series and are made with less materials.

User Info Menu

$200? That seems way low, considering costs to open factory, pay workers, the material costs, etc.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The cost of instrument is more than the cost of materials. You have to consider all the overhead, including rent, tools, shop supplies, marketing, shipping, taxes, and especially labor costs. If a product is made overseas there are import duties and tariffs to pay as well. Small companies that make instruments predominantly by hand (Craviotto, Brady, Joyful Noise) have substantially higher cost to manufacture than those which are mass produced. Small companies also typically work with very high grade materials, which cost more money. It's called economy of scale. Keep in mind that everyone in the chain needs to make a profit to survive. The manufacturer, distributor, and retailer all have to make money on the deal before you get to take it home.

Cymbals are expensive because copper is very expensive right now. There are certain companies that put a premium price on perceived value, like Zildjian, but that's more an exception than a rule.

In the end, a drum is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and there are those who are willing to pay premium prices.
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.

User Info Menu

I guess for everyone it's different but my limit on any given snare would be some where around 300 bucks. I personally wouldn't pay more than that.

Every so often I look for a steal on a BB. I know at that price it would be a steal, but I would never pay more than 3 or 350 for one. I'll find one someday at that price.

Now for kits...1500 to 2k is about my mental limit right now. I wouldn't pay more than that for any kit. My buddy just got a new SJC kit and got what he said was a massive discount and still paid nearly 3500 for it. No way I'd ever lay down that kind of cash.

User Info Menu

I'm talking about things priced so high that it's almost a practical joke. Tama Bell Brass snare, Vinnie Paul's ddrum kit, Zildjian constantinoples, Pearl reference snare, Paiste signatures, Paiste spirit of 2002 snare, JeffOcheltree TreeBronze snare, that kinda thing. Like okay guys come on be fair, give us a little break on the prices. Make it realistic to play and own these things in our lifetimes as drummers! Wouldn't it help the companies more to help us a little more? I mean they'd get more buyers right?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

$600 for a snare drum sounds like a bunch of money.............but then again, the snare drum is an obvious priority component of your kit............so it has to be something you love (not just live with). So that means if I had to, I would spend what it takes to get a snare that I love.

I currently own three snare drums...............one I can "live with" and I use it for most of my practice.

My gigging snares are both vintage drums that I love and I was also fortunate enough to get them for less than they are worth...........I just waited for the opportunity.

I have a 1958 Slingerland classic and a 1954 Gretsch round-badge.

Both are 5.5X14 and both are maple.........and both sound very (VERY) good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

u should consider seriously buying used and decide wether u want a wood snare or metal it seems that metal snare produce a more of an "attack" style sound when compared to a wooden one. You should also remember that heads & tuning play a role in sound u can make any snare sound good i play on a real crappy set no name brand u can buy my kit online now for less than $220 it isnt the name brand of what u play its "how u play" dont even no y we say play its more like "DO". Check your local Craigslist listings and anywhere where your willing to drive to to get a deal look and u shall find

User Info Menu

I get as far as admitting the only fun thing about expensive gear is reading about it. I have the similar notion of " you gotta' be kidding, who the heck is buying this stuff ? " The claim that here in lies the latest in bells, whistles, and whatnot. This might all the well be true. Still not sure how it sells that merchandise. Now, that said, it may lead to onlookers exploring similar products from the same manufacturer. Marketing strategy, not exploitation.

Two vendors are side by side selling hotdogs and everything about the hotdog including the service are identical except one was selling their dogs at half the price of the other. So, now the question is the same as in any business...Are we in the business to sell hotdogs or make a profit ? The answer is sell hotdogs since without first making a sale there would be nothing else. Profits come in time inevitably at the expense of the consumer.

It's hard to imagine where they come up with the price of the expensive products. And I say expensive because in many cases it is not really what a person can afford that makes it expensive. The prices are just downright, too high. It's not good business strategy. That's the way I see it.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.