Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Reads Music?

User Info Menu

Default Who Reads Music?

It really comes in handy sometimes. Of course it depends on the playing environment you're in. I'm glad I learned long ago. I've been able to use it with teaching, in some bands that use a book, and writing my own charts for new songs.

User Info Menu

I read music...It opens up so many more opportunities for playing and teaching

User Info Menu

Drummers read music?!?

User Info Menu

I've always just learned by ear... I'm good like that...
    I think the drummer should sit back there and play some drums, and never mind about the tunes. Just get up there and wail behind whoever is sitting up there playing the solo. And this is what is lacking, definitely lacking in music today. - Buddy Rich

User Info Menu

For set, Music is crap. you need to take a song and make it your own stile.
    -Chance S.
    -I Live My Life By Psalms 150:5

User Info Menu

Reading music is essential. It's part of being a musician. It can only make you better. Without it, you'll always be one step behind being "your best". Isn't that what we all strive to be ?

User Info Menu

im with drum head, i mean i was in the school percussion in the 3rd grade, so i can read the music, the hi-hat is the line with the x and snare is like dead center, but i feel you have to memorize the song to really be able to play it well on the set... and when you memorize, what good is actually "reading"?
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

If you're in it to be a professional, reading is essential. There are many gigs that you'll go to play (or sub for) and they'll throw a chart in front of you. If your sight-reading isn't up to par, you're dead in the water.

User Info Menu

thanks for the tip tom...i shall take that into consideration
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

All true statements....reading music makes you much better and more flexable however unless your required to play exactly as some one else wants then you should only use the music as a starting point and then go above and beyond the page to play something much more unique and beautiful

User Info Menu

I think Utopia hit it. I learned years ago and it only helped me. I think it's more important then non-readers give it credit for. I do, however, learn songs by ear and practice. If you take a book like, "Stick Control" and practice it with your hands, then apply it to your feet, and then in combinations of hands & feet, you'll be surprised where it'll take your abilities.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    All true statements....reading music makes you much better and more flexable however unless your required to play exactly as some one else wants then you should only use the music as a starting point and then go above and beyond the page to play something much more unique and beautiful
    well put
    max

User Info Menu

Thank You!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Is there not a difference between Drum charts and drum notation?

User Info Menu

as i said in the other thread about this .It`s really not nescessary except for things like rudements .(if you bother with them,personally i don`t anymore) ...i`m a great lover of people that join a band (yeah just ONE band all you band hoggers out there) .If you can`t give one band 100% dedication you are not playing at your best and you`ll get pretty much no-where cos you`ll have 2 or 3 bands ringing you up saying "we`ve got a gig " and you`ll have to say "sorry !!" .If you join a band with the intention to stay together for a long time you don`t need a piece of paper to tell you what to hit when .

User Info Menu

I agree with DRUMMER & BOO. I hadn't read music sinces high school. I knew what it all ment on a chart, but not doing it for many years, I needed time to work it out all over again. I was unprepared. You can be a great player, but your chances at doing studio work will be affected dramaticly. Your playing styles will be limited to just keeping the beat and throwing in a roll here and there. Hopefully in a jam you will find the correct rhythm with the bass player. Also ACCENTS. When you play with a Big Band with a brass section, piano, etc.and you are not familiar with how the music or songs are supposed to go you will humilate yourself. You will lag. I remember back in the day. I was about 1/2 beat all through some of the songs that I had not heard before. With a big Band. Some of the songs were originals written by some of the band members that I was performing with that night. NOT MY BRIGHTEST HOUR. I was called in on short notice. That can piss people off. I felt at the end of the night that I wasn't worthy of even being payed. I was embarrassed and worried about my reputation as a good pocket drummer. That was a very valuable learning experiince for me years ago. I couldn't play comfortably as a band member. I was out in Right Field so to say. Didn't sound tight and familiar with the music. You need to be ready to accent along with the band with either hand when it's called for. Your never to young or old to learn and brush up on your reading.
    Last edited by Timer; 07-27-2006 at 12:39 PM.

User Info Menu

You're right on the money Timer. I would even sometimes join a band that used charts to simply keep my reading chops up because many of the bands I played with through the years didn't require it. It paid off in the long run. I was able to hang with "the big boys" on some scary fusion gigs or the occasional big band. I was never the strongest reader but my drumming skills overall would keep me on their A list. If I didn't read, I would have never had the opportunity to work with such great musicians.

I may have mentioned it earlier but I also supplemented my income for many years by teaching drums. And of course you have to know reading well to teach it to others.

User Info Menu

Yea chart reading does really help in drumming, especially for those who want careers in it.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Who Reads Music?

Timer, drummer--you're spot-on about reading music, especially big-band arrangements. The rudiments are important--but not all arrangements are neat little three-measure-and-a-break patterns...

I don't read as well as I should, but that's a challenge to me to learn and force myself to expand myself!

User Info Menu

as my first instrument was piano, i found it very easy just to transfer readin 1 type of music to another, and drum musics so simple, as it usualyy gives u a key of some form, or is just obvious becos of its structure, that it doesnt rle require learning as such...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    Reading music is essential. It's part of being a musician. It can only make you better. Without it, you'll always be one step behind being "your best". Isn't that what we all strive to be ?

well said i agree
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I'm a believer in being able to read music. Some people may be just fine without it, but I think when drummers start working with others to form a band, reading music allows all the members of the band to communicate. Talk about leaving a good impression on band mates! The other issue is that if your reputation helps in getting that next job, having a reputation for being able to read music, and communicate with band mates, has to be a positive on the ol' resume.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i read music, its not very hard to do at all, its pretty much like a tab with tails on the notes

User Info Menu

my sight reading is for sure not where it should be. as far as reading i am pretty much self taught, a pretty long process. it takes me a long time to decifer a page, but i am getting better and it is my main focus of learning right now. my playing is pretty much good enuff to get me by in what i'm doing but to reach my goals as a drummer i know i have to be able to read on sight. the good thing is that a good part of the high paying gigs that require chart reading use very easy charts. its not like having to read frank zappas black page.

User Info Menu

I really cant read drumset music, like, i can never do it exactlky how the paper wants me to, so i just kinda make it my own in jazz band

But on line, half of our kids cant read music, and its so hard, they just play by ear

Like my first thing with the highschool band, was a parade, and we needed to play the fightsong, nobody wrote it out, and none of the kids knew what i was talking about going, so theres a 16th drag here?

They just kinda looked at me like i was stupid when i asked for music, and the director acted like i was heaven on earth