Thread: Does Having different types of Cymbals matter?

User Info Menu

Question Does Having different types of Cymbals matter?

I have been drumming two years now and I have a Tama Stage Star Kit. The Cymbals that came with that were pretty crap. So I bought a set of PA Meinls, which had Hi-Hats, Crash and a ride. Then i went out and bought a 10 inch Sabain Splash cymbal. Then finally I was given a 'Rockem' China cymbal. It isn't brilliant but it does the job for a light gigging drummer like me. But my real question was ... Does it matter that my cymbals are not all Sabian, or all Meinls?

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter at all Andy. The most important thing (and this matters more if you're a working professional) is to keep the tones from cymbal to cymbal complimentary to one another. In the same manner that you want your individual tom sounds complimentary.

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't think so. I am evaluating my cymbals right now, and trying out various cymbals at the music store where I am taking lessons. I may be a relative newbie, but I have found that I like Zildjian A series cymbals, all in all, but I also found that there are a couple of Wuhans, and a Sabian that I really like, so I don't think it is important to stick with a lable. It's a sound that I look for.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

BTW, Andy TAMA, welcome to DrumChat. I wonder what kind of kit you play! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It doesn't matter at all Andy. The most important thing (and this matters more if you're a working professional) is to keep the tones from cymbal to cymbal complimentary to one another. In the same manner that you want your individual tom sounds complimentary.
    Thanks for the help. I do try and keep my cymbals and toms, as it is, sounding complimentary to each other. Infact that is what me and my drum teacher are currently working on. But I still can't seem to get it just right. Do you have any advice for me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    BTW, Andy TAMA, welcome to DrumChat. I wonder what kind of kit you play! LOL
    Thanks for the welcome. And actually I have two kits, a Tamastage star and a Yamaha DTXplorer (I gave my Mum a head ache.)

I do know you were being sarcastic. LOL

User Info Menu

Andy, check out my sig. I use Sabian, Zildjian and a Wuhan China - mixed breeds all. I go for the sound rather than the name. If it sounds good for the application, I'll use it. Unless some cymbal company wants me to endorse them and give me free cymbals - then all bets are off! I'll still go for the sound though. Welcome to DrumChat!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

I wonder what kind of kit you play! LOL
    He plays Pearl. Duh??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    He plays Pearl. Duh??
    Oh! That's what I thought he played!

User Info Menu

geez PB, even on his first post it says he uses pearl

User Info Menu

I don't think it matters either, I prefer Zildjian over anybody else, just really like there sound and reliability, but I also really like my Wuhans ALOT, it is just a matter of preferance.

drums-rock Guest

i Use Sabian Paiste gettin a wuhan and i got a crappy session pro one that im getting rid of 1 so your not the only 1

User Info Menu

naw, it dont matter at all. IMO some cymbals play better together than others. example i dont think paiste really mix well with anything but paiste. but zil. and sabian blend nicely.

User Info Menu

i didnt know sabian and zildjain sound nice togeather, thanks for the tip

User Info Menu

Cool

It In Yer Ears Ya Know....i Use Sabian.paiste.zildian A Customs,sabian Cs Sig Cras(for Aride) Sabian B8 And B8 Pros,as Well As An Old Zildjian Band Cymbal And The Bottom Of 15" Zildian A Hi Hats.....explore The Possibilities Let Y- O- U- R Ears Be Yer Guide...ENJOY THE JOURNEY

User Info Menu

I love my Camber cymbals!....they really match my trash bin outside. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

i have an old zildjian schimitar that would go great with that set middleman.

User Info Menu

my freind has a old chimitar cymbal.. it sounds pretty bad.. especially the hi-hat!

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't think so. I am evaluating my cymbals right now, and trying out various cymbals at the music store where I am taking lessons. I may be a relative newbie, but I have found that I like Zildjian A series cymbals, all in all, but I also found that there are a couple of Wuhans, and a Sabian that I really like, so I don't think it is important to stick with a lable. It's a sound that I look for.
    Which kind of A Customs do you have, PB?
    I thought that they each had a different sound when I tested them out at GC. And I don't mean as in each size sounded different, but almost like different cymbals altogether.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I have a Zildjian A custom projection pack, hi-hats, crash, ride, and 10inch splash that I absolutely love. They really do project a peircing sound though, so my sound intolerant wife isn't a fan, but they're my best cymbals! Has anyone on here done the research behind Sabian and Zildjian history? The CEO's of each company are actually brothers I think, and Sabian only split off recently (within the last like 50 years) from 300 year old Zildjian. They sound so good together because they're made from almost the same metal, and using the same processes.

User Info Menu

For the record, I'm sticking to Paiste Sig's for the duration of my career. Not only because they're incredible (best lol) but for endorsement bonuses and sponsors as well, which would come into play later on.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

If you like the sound that's all that matters each ear is different, I play mostly Zildjian three rides 22" A 20" A 20" K Jazz ride which is my favorite just bought a 17" K hybrid is really cool have a 17" medium A, 15" custom thin A, a 16" medium thin A, 12" A splash. Have two sets of 14" quick beat hi hats and three sets of regular 14" A hi hats, have a 18" zilco used to have rivets in it but they've been cut off sounds surprizingly really good, have a 12" sabian splash sound similar to the zildjian. Have a 22" super ride got with my vintage yamaha's don't really like the sound to thin and washy for me but was a bonus with the kit. also an old ufip cymbal still trying to find out the age of this, is really different. plus a couple of other cymbals laying around i use once in a while at practice just to change sounds. other than the super ride i pretty much like all the cymbals i have.