Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else label their sticks?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone else label their sticks?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone did the same thing I do whenever I buy a couple new pairs of sticks. By label, I mean mark each pair separately, like so:

I like to keep each pair together, because the difference in pitch bugs me. But I might just be ridiculously picky

Anyone else do this with their sticks?

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone else label their sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by ZildjianKid234 View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone did the same thing I do whenever I buy a couple new pairs of sticks. By label, I mean mark each pair separately, like so:
    I like to keep each pair together, because the difference in pitch bugs me. But I might just be ridiculously picky

Anyone else do this with their sticks?

ZK
    Nope. What happens if you drop one? Will the numbering get all screwed up (i.e. playing with pair #1 and you drop one and grab one stick from let's say pair #4?)

User Info Menu

Nope. The sticks I get are pitch pared from the factory (as most are now). I know that each pair has a different pitch. So if I'm in a situation where I need to have a pair matching in pitch (and there aren't really many in any situation...maybe in the studio) I simply tap them and match them (if they are not in their original packaging. If I'm playing out and drop one no big deal, having sticks pitched the same doesn't matter live.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nope. What happens if you drop one? Will the numbering get all screwed up (i.e. playing with pair #1 and you drop one and grab one stick from let's say pair #4?)
    Well, that's fine, I'd just go back to using pair one after the song once I have a chance to pick it up. I wouldn't say it's a very important thing, I just like using one pair at a time, usually. I feel its better when a pair of sticks ages together too. Wouldn't want one really raggedy old stick paired with a new one, I feel like they would each produce different sounds.

ZK

User Info Menu

Nope I just throw them in my stick holder or bag and grab when needed.

User Info Menu

Yes I do.
    I realise it probably makes no difference to the actual playing, I think it's just part of my CDO.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    Yes I do.
    I realise it probably makes no difference to the actual playing, I think it's just part of my CDO.
    That's make primarily makes me do it. Playing with one old, semi-chipped stick and one new one would just bug me, so I choose to do this so the sticks age the same (hopefully). Think of it as tire rotation? I dunno.

User Info Menu

Nope.

Sticks pitched? Malarky!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've marked the ends with an X for those pair that match brand... because I would often use a few different brands/sizes that look the same on the butt end so at a glance, if I wanted to switch up, I would see the 2 X's in the stickbag and it would make it easy.

User Info Menu

Nope. I only notice the difference in pitch on the practice pad or when I'm looking for it. A lot of unnecessary hassle to me.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Pitch matched sticks?? When did drummers become such diva's??? Ive played gigs with two sticks that were different brands and sizes lol.

User Info Menu

I don't mark mine either. I try to use the same pair and rotate them in order to try and age the same but if I drop one,I just pick the one closer to me up. It doesn't really bother me that much about using matched sticks.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

When one stick breaks, I grab another...can't worry about matched numbers. Although this might be good for different sizes...etc.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-04-2013 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Ive played gigs with two sticks that were different brands and sizes lol.

That's because you're a redneck. You're just living up to your reputation.

User Info Menu

I don't mark them, but I try to keep a pair together or at least two that have roughly seen the same amount of use because like, ZK, I don't like having one really chipped, busted stick and one new one.

User Info Menu

I have about 15 pair and I marked them all with an "X"...
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

I do since I use different size sticks for different music, from 5a to Swing and Jazz labeled sticks.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

nope, i buy them 6 pairs at a time , i just put them in my stick bag and take out some of the more beat up sticks and use them for kindling for my fireplace...i buy all the same kind of sticks
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Pitch matched sticks?? When did drummers become such diva's??? Ive played gigs with two sticks that were different brands and sizes lol.
    ++++++++++++++++++++infinity 1. Pitched paired makes almost no difference at all in your playing. No one is gonna go " hey your using a 5b with a slightly lighter 5b" and odds are most of you guys can barely tell the difference unless your looking for it really hard. But when I'm playing a song why would I be listening to see if my sticks aren't pitch paired!?!
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    ++++++++++++++++++++infinity 1. Pitched paired makes almost no difference at all in your playing. No one is gonna go " hey your using a 5b with a slightly lighter 5b" and odds are most of you guys can barely tell the difference unless your looking for it really hard. But when I'm playing a song why would I be listening to see if my sticks aren't pitch paired!?!
    Yeah I can see where you're coming from with that. It's not as much about the pitch for me as the weight. Pitch is just the word I came up with. I can play with whatever sticks I have available, I just prefer keeping the individual pairs together. Vic Firth pairs them like that for a reason.

I mean, it probably doesn't matter at all, really. I just like thinking it does. But then again it could just be me being overly OCD. Either one.

ZK

User Info Menu

I use stick wrap on my sticks, and I just use a different color to identify the different sizes that I have. Other than that, I don't worry about it as long as I can get sticks of the same size. There was one night that I had a case of the drops (3 times during my first gig), for various reasons, and I just grabbed whatever stick I could grab. At one time, I was playing with mismatched sizes, and everything still went fine.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    nope, i buy them 6 pairs at a time , i just put them in my stick bag and take out some of the more beat up sticks and use them for kindling for my fireplace...i buy all the same kind of sticks

this.... but 12 pairs at a time

User Info Menu

I don't bother. If I happen to have two pairs of the same stick, I'll just use any two out of the four…
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

So I bet you keep track of which stick is the right hand or left hand stick as well, right? What would happen if you break one of your #2 sticks? Do you grab a #3 and....gasp....pair it with the #2? Or retire the remaining #2 stick? Just keep them in their own little cardboard holder, that way you don't have to number them, right? I also think that the only way you can tell if it's a different pitch is if you have dog ears. And there is no way that you can physically tell that one of the same style sticks is lighter or heavier than the other without using a tri scale. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I give my sticks names. Then I talk real nice to them and tell them they should stay together.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!