Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Mark vs. Vic Firth

User Info Menu

Default Pro Mark vs. Vic Firth

I play Vic Firth 5As. But my freinds all play pro mark. And I must admit even though I told them I didn't like them (after an arguement we had just had over which type of sticks were better) they actually felt really comfortable. But, I didn't find them as hard hitting as My pair of Vic Firths. But then at a gig I was playing I got a pair of Vater's to play. I hated the feel of them. So which do you think is better?

User Info Menu

Eventually, after you break several dozen sticks and find yourself going broke on lumber (the non nylon tipped sticks do make great kindling), you'll realize that the best value are the stick bricks, where you get like 10 pair for $10. I got sooooo tired of paying $3, $4, $5 for a pair of sticks - I tried Vater, I tried Pro-Mark, I tried Vic Firth, 5A's and Rock N's. I tried the nylon/plastic sticks, I tried the metal sticks with the nylon ends... man, I've been through more sticks than I can even imagine - hundreds of dollars worth. Ya know what? Sticks are a means to an end - getting your hands/arms to make a sound on the drum without breaking your hands/fingers by hitting the drum with them. I've found it doesn't really matter the brand... if it fulfills the means to an end, it works. No one is going to be able to tell what kind of stick you hit the drum with. Size IS important... whether it's 5A, 5B, etc. That's where comfort and grip comes in but the make? Don't waste your money... get a stick brick and save the bucks for something more important. That's my opinion and I'm "stick"ing to it.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Vic Firth. My first ever pair of drumsticks were a pair of Vic Firth 7AN, I have tried many other sticks, and I can't find anything that beats them for usability and durability. I use 5a, 5b and 7an.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Eventually, after you break several dozen sticks and find yourself going broke on lumber (the non nylon tipped sticks do make great kindling), you'll realize that the best value are the stick bricks, where you get like 10 pair for $10. Stix
    Hey Stix518, 10 sticks for $10.00? Where do you get that deal? The best I've ever seen is 12 for $24.00 through Musician's Friend.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use the 3 dollar nylon 5A's, and the wood is mixed, so its considered a cheap drum stick, I havnt tried anything else yet. yo stix, your talking about 10 pairs of sticks for 10 bucks? that beats what im paying, can you order em in? also, im thinking of switching from nylon to wood, good idea? I know nylons leave marks on your cymbals, (which I hate), and i find when im using my hi-hat its to much of a bright ringy sound, thats why i use my hot rods, but their break'n up too.

User Info Menu

Guitar Center, boys. Stick Brick. 5A's. That's what I use. I think they have 5B's too. 10 pair/$10.99. Called just that, too - Stick Brick. Got sick and tired of paying big $$ for sticks then breaking them. Would break a pair a gig. Now, if I break em, I burn em. No biggie. Keep about 6 pairs in my stick bag and replace them as I need them.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

awsome, ill check in see what they got next time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Guitar Center, boys. Stick Brick. 5A's. That's what I use. I think they have 5B's too. 10 pair/$10.99. Called just that, too - Stick Brick. Got sick and tired of paying big $$ for sticks then breaking them. Would break a pair a gig. Now, if I break em, I burn em. No biggie. Keep about 6 pairs in my stick bag and replace them as I need them.

Stix
    Thanks, Stix518! I check it out, too!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Hey Stix518, is that the Muscians Gear 10 pack for $9.99? That one says that they can give you a mix of sticks. Is that the one you get? I wondered about that one, because I prefer the all wood stick, so I wouldn't really want the nylon tip.

User Info Menu

I hear ya on the money thing. But not being that technical of a drummer, and a hard hitter. I do tend to absolutly destroy cheaper sticks. I've broken brand new cheapos counting a song off (in practice thankfully). So, for me, I like promark 5a hickory with wood tips. For me.

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firth 7A/N have been thinking of switching to 5A's though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I use Vic Firth 7A/N have been thinking of switching to 5A's though.
    I play both depending on the song I am going to play. I find 5As are my most used though. But when Im playing The Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff I use my 7A/Ns.

User Info Menu

7ANs - Though personally I haven't settled between brands just yet. The Vic Firth 7As seem to have a fatter shoulder to them than the Pro Marks, which should make them more durable.

But every pair of Pro Marks I've had seems to outlast them - weird huh?

I'm still experimenting to find what I like more.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I find the PROMARKS more durable and ive tred both.
    On the subject of stickbricks the cheapest ive seen is 10 pairs for 500kr.

(úse stevos currency converter cos im to damn lazy)

User Info Menu

I just really like the feel of Vic firths, I use danny carey signatures and just started using 7A's.

User Info Menu

I was thinkin bout switchin to 7A too! although I was concered about them breaking.

User Info Menu

I haven't broke mine yet, still playing the same stick and I have been using them about 1 mth now.

User Info Menu

do you notice a difference in tone when you change from 7A's to 5A's?

User Info Menu

I just sort of got into Vic Firth sticks when I started playing. That's what the local music store had in stock. The place I go to now has both Vic Firth and Pro Mark. My drum teacher says he started with Pro Mark stick 40 years ago, and he's just never changed, but I did check out a pair of Vic Firth sticks that he said he really liked. They're Carmine Appice signature sticks. It feels like a cross between a 5A and a 5B. It has a 5A tip at one end with a "large heavy tip at the butt end." If you want to see it, because explaining it doesn't do it justice, here's the link to Vic Firth. http://www.vicfirth.com/products/signatureseries1.html

I noticed that the it has a heavier finish on it too, and it's a slightly shorter stick. Played with them tonight, and I really liked the feel. I don't know for sure, but I may have found my sticks.

User Info Menu

the 7a's are alright, they're kinda thin and small but i'll use them occassionally, i perfer the 5b model better, i havent tried pro-mark yet, but i use AHEAD and VIC FIRTH and those work pretty good
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    I find the PROMARKS more durable and ive tred both.
    On the subject of stickbricks the cheapest ive seen is 10 pairs for 500kr.

(úse stevos currency converter cos im to damn lazy)
    Yay i finally come in handy for something! :> Woot!
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I personaly like Vic Firth 7A's better
    If you want to win you cant be afraid to lose.

User Info Menu

Like I have mentioned in other posts... I play the cheap "brick" sticks for band rehersal and solo practice. But... you get what you pay for. They are not very good... Rarely are they straight, evenly weighted, and never pitch matched.

In my opinion... the best sticks I have ever played are SilverFox. Beautifully made and super durable.
    I will always use them live... to prevent having to worry about mid-song-breakage.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firths because they feel good. Whenever I pick up a pair of Pro Marcs, they always feel really badly weighted and unbalanced. I know they're a good brand, so maybe it's in my head. But they feel funny.

I think you should be weary about using really cheap sticks. They tend to be made out of cheaper materials, poorly weighted and often warped. Unless you're getting a real bargain and they're comparable to something worth more, they could very well be stopping you from being as good as you could.

User Info Menu

Danny Carey Signature Vic's ALL THE WAY
    I don't think I could play another stick now.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy