Thread: Micing drums live 1st time | Recording Drums

User Info Menu

Default Micing drums live 1st time | Recording Drums

Hey guys,

new band needs drums mic'd when outdoors, most of the indoor gigs are too smal to require it. I am going to get some mics and was told that a nice small mixer should be used too so i can tune my sound and then run into a PA.

I am kind of new to this side of the aisle and would love to keep everything below $400 if I could. I do not need super duper $800 mics or anything, most gigs are less than $100 each and a freebie here and there as well.

I am thinking of spending the bulk of the money on the mixer, and just getting some cad-7 mics what are your thoughts. I can get a nice used Mackie 1402VLZ PRO mixer in great condition for $175-$200.

I have heard some cad-7's run through a behringer mixer on youtube and it sounded fantastic.

Few months ago I bought some audix fp-5's for $300 from GC but returned them a few weeks later as the guys I play with pissed me off with all the cancelling crap and having that money just sitting there was killing me. If I can get this mackie for $175 I may try to get the audix set again instead of the cad-7's

any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Micing drums live 1st time

for your money, i would suggest something like the audix quad pack i think it's called. You you'll get a kick and snare mic and two overheads. you can get it with the f series mics if cost is an issue or the d series mics if you'd rather have a step up. Especially if you're looking for reinforcement outdoors, those 4 mics are all you need to get the job done and you're gonna get better quality mics for your investment. they will also do an excellent job if you ever want to use them to record. I'm a sound guy in addition to being a drummer, i don't know which one led me to the other. I'll take a good pair of overheads any day over an ok set of close mics for the toms. Especially in a setting where you have complete control over the acoustics like outside, a well placed pair of overheads will end up giving you the majority of your drum mix. And i'm not pushing the audix mics, i know there are other brands that will do just as good of a job. I just know they offer that particular 4 mic bundle at a decent price. It gives you a solid foundation to start with and build off of.

User Info Menu

MDK, IMHO, if price is a limiter, then the CAD's can be ok for now, but just keep in mind that if you can go to the next level, then don't waste money by getting the CAD's, and then upgrading later. I was very fortunate to get Audix F15 condenser mics at a very good price, and I have been extremely impressed with the quality of sound that I get. If at all possible, I would get these as your overheads if you can.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I've been running the CAD mics for the past few years on just my toms and overheads. The bass drum mic lacks a bit so now I use a Shure Beta 91A, and a pair of SM57's on the snare (one on top, one underneath) the snare for larger outdoor gigs. Why do they want you to provide a separate mixer for your drums? Aren't there enough inputs on the main board? Tuning your sound from behind the kit isn't as easy as it may seem. How do you know what things sound like out in the open while you're playing. Sorry, but that is your sound person's job to handle that.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.