Thread: Syncho, Cinco, Syncopation.

User Info Menu

Default Syncho, Cinco, Syncopation.

So I just had my first out of church audition with a fairly close friend. Basically, I went to his place, we jammed for a good 30 minutes, and this is what he had to say:

Pros:
    I'm consistent, and I keep a beat, probably better than any other drummer he's worked with. We played a Michael Jackson song, and he loved how it worked out.

Cons:

1. I'm a bit TOO consistent, and it seems I can only keep 1 or 2 beats or tempos per song.
    2. I REALLY need to work on my syncopation.

This part I definitely agree with. I've tried for years to try and figure it out on my own, and the process has been just about fruitless.

So here's what I'm asking: Is there any site, any templates, videos, etc. that I can look at to improve my syncopation and possibly grow a wider palette?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Syncho, Cinco, Syncopation.

Syncopation is your friend. I personally think that what it takes to master is more a sense of the absolute rhythm embedded in your soul more than anything else!

What I really mean is if you have the feel of the beat of that song, you have it down pat, no question, then you can start playing around that beat. You don't always have to land on 1! So long as you can keep the song moving forward within the time and groove, you can add lots of little things, off beat patterns, fills outside the norm, etc.

I studied alot of Stewart Copeland (crazy syncopated hi hat work), and most progressive rock has great syncopation in the drumming. It'll be worthwhile to listen to some Rush, or Yes, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, etc. and see how the songs continue to flow in the same groove, but the drummers are not doing straight ahead kick on 1&3, snare on 2&4 stuff.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Syncho, Cinco, Syncopation.

Latin, funk, reggae and other music styles and rhythms that are outside of straight-up rock music will also help you with syncopation.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8