Thread: Carl Palmer

User Info Menu

Default Carl Palmer

Listened to the live ELP album on CD recently.............if you are old enough to recall, the release on vinyl looked like this :

Original LP track listing

Side one
    "Hoedown" – 4:27
    "Jerusalem" – 3:20
    "Toccata" – 7:21

Side two
    "Tarkus" – 16:42
    "Eruption"
    "Stones of Years"
    "Iconoclast"
    "Mass"
    "Manticore"
    "Battlefield" including "Epitaph"

Side three
    "Tarkus (conclusion)" – 10:42
    "Aquatarkus"
    "Take a Pebble", including "Still...You Turn Me On" / "Lucky Man" – 11:06

Side four
    "Piano Improvisations" – 11:54
    "Take a Pebble (conclusion)" – 3:14
    "Jeremy Bender" / "The Sheriff" – 5:26

Side five
    "Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression" (Includes Percussion Solo (Con Brio)) – 17:26

Side six
    "Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression" – 7:36
    "Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression" – 10:17

If you have never heard (Side 5) the percussion solo from Carl Palmer during the 1st Impression of Karn Evil 9, you need to find it and check it out.
    Kit, tymps, chimes, gongs.

Back in the day, Palmer was a monster.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Carl Palmer

Carl Palmer is a beast. One of the greatest Prog Rock drummers ever. He is very underrated and largely unknown mostly because of the idiots that ran Rolling Stone magazine back in the day never gave the group their day in the sun. Therefore were never identified by mainstream America. Much like every Progressive band then and still now. Unfortunately these same short-sided people are now a part of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame induction committee. Why else wouldn't Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson, Yes, The Moody Blues, Frank Zappa, Boston, Foreigner, Kansas, Journey, Styx, I'm sure I missed some, why aren't they in there? The only reason Cream is in there is Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd because Dark Side of the Moon went platinum quickly, Genesis because of Phill Collins, I'm sure I missed a couple maybe. Maybe if they wouldn't abuse their position by reflecting their personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. There wouldn't be such an obvious void in the hall. The hall is a joke and beneath my notice. I don't recognize it for what it's supposed to be in any facet. Sorry for the hijack, but I got on the subject of something I feel very strongly about. ELP is one of my favorite Prog bands all time.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Am an absolute Carl Palmer fan here. That guy is like 63 years young. You won't see him in a retirement home anytime soon, I tell ya!

Actually, I think most of us drummers retain our youthfulness better than the rest of our musical peers. It's good physical exercise, for sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

There was a pic of him yrs. ago in MD while on vacation. He's laying poolside with his wife on 1 side and a practice pad on the other.

User Info Menu

Carl was just about my biggest inspiration in my early drumming years, and I've seen a couple of his clinics. He still has the chops, and ELP still rock as far as I'm concerned. The DVD set which came out a few years ago is a must-have for any true fan, and it does include that BBC feature with Carl demonstrating the awesome steel kit used from 'Brain Salad Surgery' onwards (the kick drum weighed one ton and required two roadies to lift it ) with the Moog electronic triggers heard in 'Toccata', amongst others. Ooh and those LOVELY Paiste Tam tams...
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

larryz Guest

I've seen him up close with Asia twice over the last few years and man, the guy is all power and speed. Pretty amazing. Looks in fantastic health as usual. My #1 inspiration. Not to mention his Ludwig stainless steel kit it to die for.

User Info Menu

Check out the little stick trick at about 1:39.

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

He has always amazed me by his talent. He still is a monster. Simply a human machine. Don't forget his 1 ton steel drum set his had made 1/2" shells. They asked him if he wanted 1/4 or 1/2 inch shells. Carl asked what the difference in price? Its the same. Oh OK , go with the 1/2. Did not realize how heavy that kit was going to be!
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

I have read the autobiography from Keith Emerson -- it is titled
    "Pictures of an Exhibitionist".............a good read.
    He tells of the band NOT being into drugs in any way, ever.
    However, admits to weakness for women and cognac.

The band drank cognac and Emerson himself admits to excessive use..........."I lived on the stuff."

Many tales of he and Palmer getting along well but a lot of trouble with Greg Lake and his need to "manage" and be the dominant force at recordings and rehearsals.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)