Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Best Crash Cymbal Ever Made

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Best Crash Cymbal Ever Made

Whats the heaviest small (ish) crash you guys know of? Say up to about 15"

BackStreetDrums Guest

This may surprise some..it has me. Originally purchased to be used for its true intent, I have a Byzance Big Apple 20" ride...been using it more as a crash.

Was going to sell it, but liking it's crashability.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    For me, it is my 16-inch A. Zildjian thin crash.
    There cannot be a better cymbal on this Earth !
    Bought it 1976 with an Atlas boom stand for $90, total.
    Still have both today and both are still excellent.

I have since purchased many "A"s & "K"s both mediums and thins in diameters of 15, 16 , 17 & 18.........my original 16 A is still the best.
    Wow - You haven't been exposed to very many cymbals. An A Zildjian, the best crash ever? no way. Listen to Ufip, Soultone, Dream, Istanbul etc.. Look at Spizzichino cymbals on youtube to be mind blown.

User Info Menu

Oh no, no, no, no, no. You guys have it all wrong. The best crash ever made is MY Sabian AA 18 inch crash-ride from the late 80's. Or at least that's my favorite. Or maybe it's the 20 in byzance that I've had my eye on............

User Info Menu

I'm sure there are much better ones out there, but my 16" Paiste Signature is my best. It fits every style & volume I play. Bright...but not too bright. Glassy & clean, with cut and just the right amount of decay.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm sure there are much better ones out there, but my 16" Paiste Signature is my best. It fits every style & volume I play. Bright...but not too bright. Glassy & clean, with cut and just the right amount of decay.
    +1 on Paiste Signature. I only have one Paiste in my collection so far, an 18" Signature crash, but it is a jem. You described the sound of your 16" crash very well, N2Bluz - it describes the crash I have as well - especially the 'glassy' descriptor. I love my Sabians too, but the Paiste Signature offers a really different sound that fits in very nicely with my kit.

User Info Menu

I've got a 12" signature that I use as a crash. Bold sounding.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Mine has always been my Vintage 70's Zildjian 17 A thin crash. My second would be my 18 K dark thin crash.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Signatures. I have a few, and it's a close thing between my 16" fast crash and 18" full crash, but for sheer versatility and beauty of tone I think the full crash pips it. I've used it for everything from big band to my normal rock set-up, and even in symphony orchestra settings, and it's just perfect.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    +1 on Paiste Signature. I only have one Paiste in my collection so far, an 18" Signature crash, but it is a jem. You described the sound of your 16" crash very well, N2Bluz - it describes the crash I have as well - especially the 'glassy' descriptor. I love my Sabians too, but the Paiste Signature offers a really different sound that fits in very nicely with my kit.
    The interesting thing is I use my 16" Sig crash along with my 18" 2002 crash. It seems to fit it well, but is just enough different in over-all sound that they complement each other. I like having both the clean sound of the Sig and the slight overtones of the 2002 at my disposal. It offers options for different songs, or even different textures within the same song.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

While I love all my crashes, I think my favorite, and most versatile, is my Meinl 18" Byzance Traditional Extra Thin Hammered Crash. Very dark and musical, sustain isn't too long or short, can work as a crash ride or a light ride as well. Plus, it was the cymbal that convinced me to switch most of my cymbals to Meinl. My 16" Meinl Byzance Vintage Crash works perfectly alongside it.

User Info Menu

Pearlman is the closest to being right, the best crash ever is the Zildjian 18" A Crash Ride, just listen to Art Blakey or early Jimi with Mitch and you'll hear why.

It's like the comfort of a Rolls combined with the excitement of a Bugatti!

@kidchoar, I know the handmade Turkish brands pretty well, they make great cymbals for jazz (although so does zildjian as above), I think they generally don't project well as the major brands and they can be quite specific in their sound. I think they do some really innovative stuff, but for just 1 perfect cymbal, I don't think they're quite the right ones. I do think that having a few of them in the mix is a great idea
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

the Dave Wekyl Sabian Evolution crashes are seriously some of the best crashes I've ever heard. But they are very soft and for my playing I kept breaking them. But wow they are beautiful

User Info Menu

I'm torn. For a lot of stuff I play, I have to go with my Heartbeat 24" light ride. It says ride on it, but it's just a ginormous crash. It just fills out the sound so well, it's not too dark but not at all bright, and doesn't leave any empty space even on slower tempos we're it's loud but I'm only hitting slow and loud quarters. It sounds great loud and soft. Love it.

My other vote is my 20" Meinl byzance medium crash. It's cracked which is a huge bummer (never lend out your cymbals, people...), but even with the crack is just sounds fantastic. A bit brighter than the Heartbeat, but still fills out the sound nicely and doesn't have too fast of a decay.

I don't think I could choose.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

The best crash I have is my Sabian AAX 18 inch Studio Crash. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kidchaor2000 View Post
    Wow - You haven't been exposed to very many cymbals. An A Zildjian, the best crash ever? no way. Listen to Ufip, Soultone, Dream, Istanbul etc.. Look at Spizzichino cymbals on youtube to be mind blown.
    I would never categorically deny any brand as inferior...…..you need to hear the cymbal itself with a kit involved.
    Real drummers go to the cymbal room at Memphis Drum Shop...…...not YouTube.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Last edited by slinky; 07-13-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN