Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for inspiration

User Info Menu

Default Looking for inspiration

So, yesterday(Sunday) is always drum lesson day. Drum teacher comes over to the house and we begin lessons as usual. A couple rudiments to get loosened up and we begin our lesson. We start working on some new sticking and fills. Once I had the fill idea down, we start playing a pretty basic rock beat together and trade fills every four measures. I just wasn't feeling it at all. I was bored as all get out. The lesson gets over, I help him pack his gear up, and tell him see ya next week. Usually, I go back in the house and practice for another hour or so, but I said screw it. Just not in the mood. The new fill ideas bored the crap out of me.

Should I just leave it alone and go practice my lesson later? I feel like everything I play is becoming old and stale. I really need some new ideas. What do you guys and gals do to get inspired with new fill ideas?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for inspiration

When I get bored...I walk away from the kit, maybe a day or two. When I come back, I feel ready to get back into it again.

Also jamming with others really helps 'piece' the lessons together but knowing your work and home schedule, I'd doubt if you'd have time to join or form a band???

User Info Menu

This is always funny time of the year for me and my students. The weather is starting to change (spring is in the air), the school year is winding down it's last month or so (at least here in my area) and we've have all been in "winter-mode" for several months. It's been a repetitive routine for most since last fall that becomes dull and boring.

Something about it that makes me and everyone else a bit melancholy and antsy. I don't know if it's the sun shine jacking up levels of melatonin in our system that causes a mild depression when we are contained inside. But there's definitely a physio-chemical perculation that seems to pulsate in everyone.

As a teacher....I always try to be a bit more spontaneous this time of the year. Even completely side-tracking a lesson plan for a week just to keep students on their toes.

We're all humans.

(at least most of us).
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    When I get bored...I walk away from the kit, maybe a day or two. When I come back, I feel ready to get back into it again.

Also jamming with others really helps 'piece' the lessons together but knowing your work and home schedule, I'd doubt if you'd have time to join or form a band???
    +1...............sometimes we all need a break. when you get back at it, consciously decide to do "something" different..........reconfigure your kit, play open-handed, etc............................there are endless possibilities.

User Info Menu

Try playing some stuff that is outside your norm and has some crazy drumming. I have been throwing in some SKA and faster Reggae stuff ....some of it is crazy hard and sounds really cool
    Brent H

User Info Menu

I can't help you much, but I'll chime in anyway (this is the internet right??)

I don't get to play much at all anymore. Only once or twice a week at band practice. I have NEVER set up my drums at my new house yet. No point. No time to play them. I've been there 2.5 months now.

User Info Menu

I agree with Late8 and Longgun that a break would probably help you feel refreshed and come at the drums in a different way. It could also let what you have been working on set in so you don't have to think about it so much.

User Info Menu

It's normal for regular people to become bored to tears while doing lessons or rudiments. Guess that's what separates us from pro drummers which have the ability to sit there for hours slaving over a drum part. And the ability to spend the time doing so. I usually stop training when that happens and either play along to a song I like, or get away from the drums for a day or so.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. All I was really looking for was fill ideas. You're all probably right, I just need to get away from them for a couple days.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Thanks guys. All I was really looking for was fill ideas. You're all probably right, I just need to get away from them for a couple days.

Go look at the Jessica Alba picture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Go look at the Jessica Alba picture.
    All that did was inspire me to NOT play my drums.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

All that did was inspire me to NOT play my drums.
    Checked the pic huh? Well, what ya end up playing with? Your snare??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Checked the pic huh? Well, what ya end up playing with? Your snare??
    Oh I was inspired alright. Now I need a nap.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Oh I was inspired alright. Now I need a nap.
    Do you snore? ... you could practice your buzz roll while snoring.

Browse the internet listening and watching drummers, you're bound to find one which will inspire you to go and play, guaranteed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brain The Minter View Post
    Do you snore? ... you could practice your buzz roll while snoring.

Browse the internet listening and watching drummers, you're bound to find one which will inspire you to go and play, guaranteed!
    Don't know if I snore, but if I did, it would probably be better than my buzz roll anyway.

Ya, I might just listen to some music and see what inspires me. I'm just trying to come up with some new fills when I'm playing. I'm just tired of the same old crap I've been playing lately. Maybe I should go take a nap. Perhaps I'll dream up something.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Video is always my friend when I start to get bored with what I'm doing. I've got dozens of instructional and performance DVDs and there is a ton of stuff on YouTube. My favorites to inspire me are Weckl, Greb, El Negro, Steve Smith, Stanton Moore, and guys in that vein. Anything with a variety of tempos and styles usually gets my brain back on track. Recently I have been doing cover videos for totally random songs I wouldn't normally be into and that's also helped (going outside my comfort styles).

User Info Menu

8 stroke and 5 stroke roll are pretty good fill ideas, or anything with paradiddles or flam taps. With all the rudiments there are to choose from, there's always something new to bring into it. But really, the main beat should always be the biggest focus I think. And for me when i'm playing a straight beat long enough, I can sort of just feel my way into what fills sound right. When in doubt, keep all your strokes even. What you do on one area of the kit repeat it on another, identically. But above all, make sure you don't overwork yourself and give your body a chance to recover here and there. Just think of it as a rest day, lay in bed kick your feet up, do anything you wanna.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

There's always this one.

Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I always like the fuggadugga's in that fill .. just pull it all together.

if its boring you that much talk to your instructor switch up what your working on for a few weeks.. learn some latin stuff.. learn some lattin stuff and use it for fills.. .. take the mozambique basic pattern and make it a fill .. reverse your hands and feet on a fill so instead of snare snare rack rack floor crash .. do bass bass bass bass snare crash .. or some such .. I dont know Im just rambling here..
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I think if you're not in the mindset to practice, practicing won't get you very far.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I believe the cure is getting together and playing with other musicians. Drums are kinda like butter. Tastes great but NEEDS other food!

I myself get rather uninspired by drums but suddenly something wakes up when I'm playing with the band.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowBeat View Post
    There's always this one.

Stolen from EddieV:
    Believe me, I have that one down pat. That's one fill that bores me to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    I always like the fuggadugga's in that fill .. just pull it all together.

if its boring you that much talk to your instructor switch up what your working on for a few weeks.. learn some latin stuff.. learn some lattin stuff and use it for fills.. .. take the mozambique basic pattern and make it a fill .. reverse your hands and feet on a fill so instead of snare snare rack rack floor crash .. do bass bass bass bass snare crash .. or some such .. I dont know Im just rambling here..
    That's a great idea! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    I think if you're not in the mindset to practice, practicing won't get you very far.
    Ya, you're right. I need to have a little fun instead of just practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I believe the cure is getting together and playing with other musicians. Drums are kinda like butter. Tastes great but NEEDS other food!

I myself get rather uninspired by drums but suddenly something wakes up when I'm playing with the band.

all the best...
    Been a long time since I have actually jammed with anyone. Guess I'll have to start looking for some people to jam with.

Great ideas everyone. Thank you very, very much. I really appreciate it!
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Sometimes you just have to sit behind your set and just beat the hell out of them.

Works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Sometimes you just have to sit behind your set and just beat the hell out of them.

Works for me.
    +1.............I've taken my anger and frustration out on my drums several times...........a great way to vent without getting in trouble.

User Info Menu

take a piece off your kit, like the second tom, if you play 2 up.

go through your normal fills and find ways to compensate for the gap. go for cymbals, rims, even stands if you like.

Also, just sorta go dyslexic on your drums for a while, i've come up with a few things just by hitting random stuff after other stuff.

Alternatively, pick up a new cd from an artist you like but didn't get a cd, or if there's a latest album from a band you like that you haven't got yet... pick something up to listen to, then adapt fill ideas from them into your own routine.