Thread: Conflicted

User Info Menu

Default Conflicted

Has anyone had this kind of issues. I freak out when practicing / gigging with my band. I am too worried about dragging / rushing. This past weekend, we had a gig opening for another band. Everything felt too slow, but when listening to most of the recordings, the tempos were correct. During our second song, I started the count off one speed and then continued speeding up. I felt that I was playing the right tempo, but listening to the recording it was way too fast. I am not sure how to correct this. I do notice sometimes that when I am rushing / dragging I am not keeping time with my HH foot.
    Mapex Pro M Cherry Fade
    Evans G2 / Genera Reso's on toms.
    Evans EC Reverse Dot on Snare
    Remo Powerstroke 3 batter / reso on bass.
    Can't find the right stick atm.
    Zildjian
    PDP and SP hardware
    Mapex Raptor Direct Drive and DW 7000 series Double Bass Pedals.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conflicted

Ever tried playing with a metronome live?

User Info Menu

It's a very typical problem that every musician must work on, not just drummers. Our adrenaline rushes and our time wants to follow. Spend a lot of time with the metronome. Then, as Kevin suggested, spend some time working with sequenced tracks with the band. It will be good for everyone.

User Info Menu

I agree with drummer.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Metronome is the key to consistancy if you feel your tempo slides around. I brought one in at band practice last year and my bandmates were a little leary about it. Today, I can't express enough how much the metronome has quelled arguements concerning my meter and how my bandmates appreciate the discipline it takes to play with a metronome in one ear and listen to the band with the other.