Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how is gretsch hardware??

User Info Menu

Default how is gretsch hardware??

ive been looking at purchasing a Gretsch brass legend snare but ive that Gretsch isnt known for great hardware...thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: how is gretsch hardware??

Doesn't Gretsch use Gibraltar for their hardware now?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The hardware on gretsch stuff is high quality.

Yes Gretsch and Gibraltar go hand in hand.

Gibraltar is the bass pedal to Gretschs kick.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeatoopis View Post
    ive been looking at purchasing a Gretsch brass legend snare but ive that Gretsch isnt known for great hardware...thoughts?
    I have the Gretsch Renown kit . Im not crazy about Gretsch hardware . I use either DW or Tama hardware . Even tho my snare stand is the Pearl 2000 . I love that snare stand !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Doesn't Gretsch use Gibraltar for their hardware now?
    Yes , thats correct !

User Info Menu

I've had my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit since 2007, and I've not encountered any issues at all with the hardware. Now, that's the hardware on the kit, because I have some PDP 900 series stands, Tama Roadpro snare stands, a PDP rack, and DW pedals. I'm just letting you know that I'm not brand loyal on hardware.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Gretsch doesn't have it's own in-house hardware line. KMC (Kaman Music Corp) is the distributor of Gibraltar and Gretsch product lines as well as many other familiar brand names. The GTS mounting system and the Gretsch labeled tom arms can be ordered with the Gretsch kit but the hardware like cymbals stands, snare stands etc can be any make or model to go along with any Gretsch kit:

User Info Menu

I have a Gretsch "Techware" Hi hat stand (circa 80's probably). Sturdy as a tree trunk and just about as heavy! I also have a Gretsch Floating Action bass pedal which I believe was actually made for Gretsch by Camco. Nice pedal.

All the best...

User Info Menu

Gretsch is owned by Gibraltar(or it's parent company),so it's pretty much Gibraltar hardware.

The old Gretsch stuff was just awful.

Flimsy best describes it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Gretsch is owned by Gibraltar(or it's parent company),so it's pretty much Gibraltar hardware.

The old Gretsch stuff was just awful.

Flimsy best describes it.
    Gretsch does not currently make their own drum hardware, but instead offer hardware packs from Gibraltar Hardware.

User Info Menu

Gretsch doesn't really make anything of their own. All they do is wrap, paint, and assemble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Gretsch doesn't really make anything of their own. All they do is wrap, paint, and assemble.
    ????, what about all the USA made drums recently released for the 125 and 130 year anniversary ?

User Info Menu

I always thought they made their own shells?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I always thought they made their own shells?
    They get their shells from Keller who makes them to their specs. The customs are assembled and wrapped, or painted, in the USA. The Renowns and below are put together in China, which I don't have a problem with like many do. I have a Renown 57 kit that is well enough made. The lacquer finish is a bit on the cheap side, but all and all it is a fine kit. They don't make any of their own hardware. They use Gibraltor.

User Info Menu

They get their shells from Keller who makes them to their specs. The customs are assembled and wrapped, or painted, in the USA. The Renowns and below are put together in China, which I don't have a problem with like many do. I have a Renown 57 kit that is well enough made. The lacquer finish is a bit on the cheap side, but all and all it is a fine kit. They don't make any of their own hardware. They use Gibraltor.
    The renowns and the Customs use the same shells? Never would have guessed that

User Info Menu

Hmmm, so the:

"Gretsch USA formula 6-ply maple shell is the cornerstone of "That Great Gretsch SoundTM." All shells are straight-sided, with hand cut and hand sanded 30-degree bearing edges and Gretsch Silver Sealer interior"

is in fact a "Gretsch formula" as made by Keller?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yamfan View Post
    Hmmm, so the:

"Gretsch USA formula 6-ply maple shell is the cornerstone of "That Great Gretsch SoundTM." All shells are straight-sided, with hand cut and hand sanded 30-degree bearing edges and Gretsch Silver Sealer interior"

is in fact a "Gretsch formula" as made by Keller?
    Hmmm, yes! Jasper used to make them years ago, but when they went under, the contract went to Keller. Keller also made DW's drum shells in the beginning. They know what they are doing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    The renowns and the Customs use the same shells? Never would have guessed that
    No. It is a slightly different formula, and the Renowns are made in China, while the USA Customs are made by Keller in the USA.

User Info Menu

No. It is a slightly different formula, and the Renowns are made in China, while the USA Customs are made by Keller in the USA.
    Gretsch Renown drums are assembled in Taiwan not China. Two very different countries. Taiwan being a free voting democratic country and China being a communist country.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Gretsch Renown drums are assembled in Taiwan not China. Two very different countries. Taiwan being a free voting democratic country and China being a communist country.
    Yes, sorry. I like to lump everything into China. As far as China is concerned they are part of China. As far as Taiwan is concerned they are on their own. Doesn't really matter to me where they are from, as long as the people building them are quality workers. Many can't control where they live, but can still be quality workers!

User Info Menu

They get their shells from Keller who makes them to their specs.
    same as ayotte drum

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Yes, sorry. I like to lump everything into China. As far as China is concerned they are part of China. As far as Taiwan is concerned they are on their own. Doesn't really matter to me where they are from, as long as the people building them are quality workers. Many can't control where they live, but can still be quality workers!

I agree 100%. Mapex, which has a state of the art factory in mainland China makes top quality drums!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I agree 100%. Mapex, which has a state of the art factory in mainland China makes top quality drums!!
    Don't I know it!

User Info Menu

For the record...Gretsch's "on board" hardware is second to none! By this, I refer to all the fittings that are part of the drum, like lugs, throws offs, hoops, etc... Well cast and well chromed.

"Out board" hardware such as stands and pedals etc... different story. Gretsch, like others, began to phase out that part of the business when it became apparent there were lots of inexpensive yet quality stuff out there. It allowed them to consolidate and focus on the drums. Back in the hey day of the American drum makers, though, their stuff was no better or worse than any others out there. Rather flimsy by today's standards.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hi,

About Gretsch hardware : In 2003 Gretsch entered into an agreement with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC). And Gibraltar hardware packs are standard for current Gretsch Drums kits.
    In fact : Dixon, Gibraltar, Gretsch and some other drums hardware industries are part of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation and are made in the same Factury in Taiwan !
    My Kit :

Gretsch Hickory Fusion (20/10/12/14 + 14x5.5)
    Pearl Kapur Snare 14x6.5
    Soho Hardware
    Zultan CS Serie Cymbal (B25 Alloy)