Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miking Gear?

User Info Menu

Default Miking Gear?

Hey guys, looking to set my kit up with a mic system, so I can get the best out of my drumset, I plan on hooking it all up to two big speakers.. What gear and accessories do I need to start? I have 7 shells and 6 cymbals, so what would be best? If you could give brand names.. Types of mics.. Cords.. or the "Brain".. I would greatly appreciate it, thanks

Recording Drums
    MY KIT
    Mapex Horizon Birch in Rattan Yellow lacquer
    -8x7,10x8,12x10 mounted toms
    -14x14,16x16 floor toms
    -22x18 Bass drum
    -14x5.5 snare

If it's Mapex, YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Miking Gear?

Jon, you might give us a sense of your budget, otherwise you'll get suggestions that might not fit your circumstances.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

No more than $1500
    MY KIT
    -14x14,16x16 floor toms
    -22x18 Bass drum
    -14x5.5 snare

User Info Menu

Jon, you'll need a mixer with enough inputs to accommodate the number of mics you want to use, a power amp to drive your speakers (or the mixer will have to be powered), you'll want speakers that can handle the low end frequencies, or you might want to add a sub (if this is for live performances) For mics, you'll at least want overhead condenser mics to pick up the cymbals and kit, and a bass drum mic. You could get a set of drum mics that will cover the whole kit (toms, snare, overheads, and bass).

Now, a couple more question: 1) Is this for live performances, and if so, why are you not going through the band's PA system? 2) Is this for hearing your drums better during rehearsal, or for recording them? If that's the case, then recommendations would be different.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Live performances, and recording, I just want my set to sound really good haha
    MY KIT
    -14x14,16x16 floor toms
    -22x18 Bass drum
    -14x5.5 snare

User Info Menu

Well, there are several good bass drum mics - Shure Beta 52A, Audix D6, and AKG D112 are generally the most popular choices. As to mic'ing the kit, you could get Shure 57 mics to mic the drums, and a couple of good overhead mics. I recently bought Audix F15's as overheads, and I have been very impressed. The other way to go is to choose one of the manufacturer's packages (Shure, Audix, and AKG are all good), and then purchase additional mics because they usually cover a 5 piece kit. These kits will come with overheads.

I'll let others that are more knowledgeable on interfaces and specific mixers weigh in on those.

User Info Menu

Don't forget Sennheiser Bob! I have their 900 series kit with two overheads, bass, 4 toms and they sound great! The 600 series is more affordable. Still great sounding. I love the plastic clips they use as to not scratch the hoops.

User Info Menu

Just buy a powerd mixer and a mic set , you don't need to go over board with quality and you definatly don't need to mic the toms if you are planning to use over heads

User Info Menu

live: Beta 98 and one good overhead.
    home recording: add another overhead.

I can get a great drum sound using four non matching "vocal" mics a four channel berhinger board, rca-1/8 cable and audacity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Just buy a powerd mixer and a mic set , you don't need to go over board with quality and you definatly don't need to mic the toms if you are planning to use over heads
    What kind of speakers would I need? I am completely new to this stuff...
    MY KIT
    -14x14,16x16 floor toms
    -22x18 Bass drum
    -14x5.5 snare

User Info Menu

Sorry I thought you had speakers already , you might find te budget will be suited better to powerd speakers and a passive mixing desk

User Info Menu

Sorry I thought you had speakers already , you might find te budget will be suited better to powerd speakers and a passive mixing desk
    May i ask why? wouldn't going powered mixer/passive speakers be the cheaper route. Especailly since hes just starting out, he doesn't need anything to overboard. For example, a simple behringer mixer like a pmp4000 should do. plus it has phantom power for condensers. of course thats just one example of an active mixer.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

You will find two powers speakers is the same price as a powerd amp

User Info Menu

You will find two powers speakers is the same price as a powerd amp
    but what would you need the power amp for if you get a powered mixer?

User Info Menu

I would go powerd speakers and a passive mixing desk but hey iv only been in the game for 22years what would I know ...
    Last edited by itchie; 04-16-2013 at 01:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I would go powerd speakers and a passive mixing desk but hey iv only been in the game for 22years what would I know ...
    Wow really? Why are you being that way about it. I'm just asking and having a simple discussion. No need to get mad about it. I may not be an expert, but this is something I have a fair amount of knowledge about, and I just wanted to know why you suggested your way. I'm not challenging you but if discussing something on a discussion board annoys you that much then never mind.

User Info Menu

Powered is pretty convenient I must say. I have a few krk rokit-5's I use for monitoring, love em. One thing I should point out is powered is generally heavier, so be prepared to lift! It helps to have a cart of some kind if you have to transport them for any reason. I generally don't move them often, but when I do I like having less to move, even if it's a little more heavy. Just a thought.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Powered is pretty convenient I must say. I have a few krk rokit-5's I use for monitoring, love em. One thing I should point out is powered is generally heavier, so be prepared to lift! It helps to have a cart of some kind if you have to transport them for any reason. I generally don't move them often, but when I do I like having less to move, even if it's a little more heavy. Just a thought.
    I prefer powered speakers myself. I was just pointing out that itchie said powered speakers and passive mixer would be cheaper. From what I know this tends to be the opposite, at least here in the US. And that passive speakers and powered mixer are cheapest. I mainly say so because I'm looking into passive mixer/powered speakers right now and am finding them to be a little more pricey, this plus I dealt with one for a while at my church.

User Info Menu

get the starter PA if you must

for me it's way easier with the active setup to just loop signals around to extra foldback speakers and FOH and when adding a sub its just takes the hard out of it,

powered speakers are just more reliable. hey have built in limit and gain structure/eq , they are just louder than a 300-500watt passive system and i think they are worth price on comparison to the old passive way..

User Info Menu

I went to the effort of making a shopping list for you

Behringer EUROLIVE B212D x2 $551.98

Mackie 1202-VLZ3 Compact Mixer - 120V $269.99

Musician's Gear Lo-Z Microphone Cable 20 FT 10-Pack $39.99

Shure DMK57-52 Drum Mic Kit $399.99

Behringer C-2 Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Pair $59.99

total $1321.94 + shipping tax etc

User Info Menu

BIGGEST THING= Make sure your kit sounds good without mics first! (ei: new heads, tuned well, muffled correctly, ect.). Then when you're buying your mics definitely go with something like an audix mic set going into a mixer with at least basic eq on it into your speakers. Sorry I dont know that much about amplification and live sound but I'd definitely go with audix for mics(lots of their mics have pre-eq in them, which makes mixing that much easier) then if you could find a mixer with more than single band eq for each mic, you're set man!!!

User Info Menu

I've just brought a sm57 for my snare, bass mic and 2 AKG c1000's overheads and a behringer 1204fx, plenty enough for me gigging and recording with a really decent sound.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkybabyG View Post
    BIGGEST THING= Make sure your kit sounds good without mics first! (ei: new heads, tuned well, muffled correctly, ect.).
    Was waiting for this to be mentioned, it's above all the most important thing. A good mic won't do much for a bad kit except point out it's flaws with full clarity. So please, spend some cash fixing up your kit before you record the thing. You get out what goes in.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Guys,
    I need advice on miking my drums or not for an outside gig.
    It is in a backyard of a home that faces the woods. Is it a must?
    I have never played outside so I am concerned about what to do.
    Will be playing classic rock with a lead guitar, rythym & bass.

Thanks
    5 piece Ludwig Standards in Blue Mist
    PDP Concept Series CM7 in Transparent Cherry
    Remo Pinstripes
    Evans G2s
    22" Zildjian Ride
    16" Zildjian Avedis Crash
    14" Zildjian Avedis Crash
    14" Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14" Paiste 2002 Rock Heavy Hi-Hat
    Ludwig & PDP Stands
    Tama Iron Cobra 600DTW Pedal
    REMO Roto Toms

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tim H. View Post
    it is in a backyard of a home that faces the woods. Is it a must?
    I have never played outside so I am concerned about what to do.
    start your own thread if you want

unless your expecting 75-150 people dont mic up the kit , you wont get much volume unless you have a large PA

all ways borrow or hire mics if you dont expect to be using them in the very near future