Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite snare and why ?

User Info Menu

Default Whats your favorite snare and why ?

My favorite snare , the only one I use , is the Tama Starphonic Brass . The reason is because its easy to tune and once you tune it , it stays ! Also , it can be used in all sorts of music and it sounds great in live performances . You dont have to change the heads , if you dont want to . Ask yourself , how many snare drums sound great straight out the box ! Also , do I have to mention that it looks GREAT !!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whats your favorite snare and why ?

Favorite snare that I currently own would be my selfmade 10 ply 6.5x14 keller maple. Brass tubes, wood hoops, I was really happy with how it turned out. Little to no metallic overtones, just tons of crack and amazing tone - absolutely love it to death. I call it the "cairo" because of my project's theme(pardon the old head, there's a fresh Aquarian texture coated on it now). Here's a pic:
    Last edited by Russ; 04-10-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

for me it's my 6.5x14 Pearl brass shell. Ordered it brand new around 92. Still going strong although it's not as pretty as in once was, if only drums could talk. Why? brass gives you plenty of attack and cut but, it's warmer than steel. Just a good all around sound for me.
    Last edited by slinky; 04-10-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Favorite snare that I currently own would be my selfmade 10 ply 6.5x14 keller maple. Brass tubes, wood hoops, I was really happy with how it turned out. Little to no metallic overtones, just tons of crack and amazing tone - absolutely love it to death. I call it the "cairo" because of my project's theme(pardon the old head, there's a fresh Aquarian texture coated on it now). Here's a pic:
    looks nice man. really like the theme kinda like Hieroglyphics yes i looked up the spelling
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That snare looks nice . By the way , sorry that I dont have any pics . I have to get a good camara . Will get one soon . I know that snare sounds great !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    for me it's my 6.5x14 Pearl brass shell. Ordered it brand new around 92. Still going strong although it's not as pretty as in once was, if only drums could talk. Why? brass gives you plenty of attack and cut but, it's warmer than steel. Just a good all around sound for me.
    Slinky , your right . See , also the brass sets off the right color combination for my kit .

User Info Menu

Thank you thank you.. It has brought me much happiness! If only the rest of the kit was as top a performer. Very full bodied and deep sounding. When I show my friends it ends up being a conversation piece for sure. Thinking about sticking a response2 or g2 on it next head change.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 319 View Post
    Slinky , your right . See , also the brass sets off the right color combination for my kit .
    It's a class look for sure Mr 319.

ha Russ I was going to say great choice for heads. Aquarian all the way baby
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 319 View Post
    My favorite snare , the only one I use , is the Tama Starphonic Brass . The reason is because its easy to tune and once you tune it , it stays ! Also , it can be used in all sorts of music and it sounds great in live performances . You dont have to change the heads , if you dont want to . Ask yourself , how many snare drums sound great straight out the box ! Also , do I have to mention that it looks GREAT !!!
    This is basically the same as the joey jordison signature snare. in basically all aspects that you explained.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

it used to be my 10x6 drum workshop until i stupidly sold it. now its my Tama 10x5.5 birch. good controlled crack, no dampening needed. so very playable and suits my small kit nicely.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

My snare collection has been whittled down to two. My favorite is a 6.5x14 DW Collectors Series Black Nickel Over Brass. It sounds great live and recorded, the Mag throw coupled with the 3-Position butt plate is a fantastic strainer system and the drum is not lacking in the dynamic range and sensitivity dept.

User Info Menu

My favourite is my Black Panther 12x7 Maple/Cherry. Wonderful sound.

However, I must say my recently purchased (for £80) Pearl Chad Smith Sig is pretty bloody amazing too!
    Last edited by Dodeska; 04-11-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Gretsch 5.5 X 14 WMP Round Badge, vintage = 1954..............incredibly warm and pretty.............especially when really cranked tight. Sounds very nice at any volume.
    This drum will be 60 years old next year...........it is 100% original -- American Jasper maple with cast hoops and you can see the old "micro-sensitive" throw.
    I still gig with it regularly.

Last edited by Ricardo; 04-11-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have multiple snares that I am in a long term love affair with... If I were agonizing about picking one, I'd close my eyes, grab one, and be completely happy with the choice.

-DW Collector's Edge 6x14: Loud, cutting, can be fat and deep or high and popping! Love it live and in the studio! Amazing snare for hard rock, fusion, staight ahead jamming, any louder playing, but I can still use it in quieter sessions and gigs if I had to, but I don't since I have 5 snares.

-DW Collector's Super Solid 5.5x14: Good projection, super sensitive, amazing woody tone, soooooo easy to dial in, outstanding in any setting or genre! Extremely perfect for jazz, funk, fusion, etc.

DW/Craviotto Solid 1 ply Maple 5.5x13: Super versatile tuning, amazing pop, great projection, sooo soooo sooooo sensitive, sounds great with brushes, loud or soft, can handle whatever I want it too.

Runners up:
    Yamaha Elvin Jones Signature Snare (14x7 Maple, 7 ply, woodhoops).
    Pearl Marvin "Smitty" Smith Signature snare (4x14 copper)
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Black Beauty Super Sensitive. Nuff said!

User Info Menu

My Rogers Powertone from the late sixties because its the only one I have,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Gretsch 5.5 X 14 WMP Round Badge, vintage = 1954..............incredibly warm and pretty.............especially when really cranked tight. Sounds very nice at any volume.
    This drum will be 60 years old next year...........it is 100% original -- American Jasper maple with cast hoops and you can see the old "micro-sensitive" throw.
    I still gig with it regularly.

are you sure the hoops aren't flanged? I didn't realize any drum hoops were anything but back then. Flanged hoops tend to make the drum ring more with more overtones, that classic sound. Die struck are more focused less overtones.

User Info Menu

This one.

I still haven't dealt with the busted knob on the strainer yet, but this thing sounds great. Play it loud, play it soft, tune it high, tune it low. I just doesn't matter. It always sounds great.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I don't have a ton of snares but I'm quite fond of my gigging/recording snare. 13x6.5 Tama Artwood maple. Tuned way high and has a beast of a crack to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rogersdrums View Post
    are you sure the hoops aren't flanged? I didn't realize any drum hoops were anything but back then. Flanged hoops tend to make the drum ring more with more overtones, that classic sound. Die struck are more focused less overtones.
    The picture clearly shows die cast, which is very standard for Gretsch, although I am not sure which year they started with die cast as standard issue.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rogersdrums View Post
    are you sure the hoops aren't flanged? I didn't realize any drum hoops were anything but back then.

Believe me, they are GRETSCH.......they are cast.......and they are from 1954.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    My snare collection has been whittled down to two. My favorite is a 6.5x14 DW Collectors Series Black Nickel Over Brass. It sounds great live and recorded, the Mag throw coupled with the 3-Position butt plate is a fantastic strainer system and the drum is not lacking in the dynamic range and sensitivity dept.

Its funny that you mentioned that DW snare . Ive been checking that out for a couple of weeks now . The only reason why I havent bought it is because the DW design clashes with my Gretsch Renown kit . That snare has a great sound !

User Info Menu

I'm with dirtysticks. It's hard to pick one favorite. I would say that it's close between a 14x5 Pearl Free Floating Maple snare, a 13x6 Mapex Black Panther SE Cherry/Maple snare, and a 14x5.5 Mapex Black Panther Deep Forest Cherry snare. The Deep Forest Cherry sneaks into the lead on its looks though.

It does have a wide tuning range, although I like it a touch on the fat side. It has a dual adjustment for the snares, the throw is smooth, it has nice volume, and it responds well to a lighter touch. Oh, and did I mention that it's beautiful with the 24 carat gold plated hardware?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post

See Fish , you got me staring at the damn thing !!!!! Lol

User Info Menu

The gold sure looks nice(and is, definitely). Would not want to move it around though, gold is infamous for being heavy as heck.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments