Thread: too much attack?

User Info Menu

Question too much attack?

i have some new tom heads - remo pinstripes. i have no reso heads, but i am ordering some. however, when i hit the toms there is so much attack! is there anything i ca n do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: too much attack?

The obvious answer is to get the reso heads asap, then see where you are in terms of the sound you want. I wouldn't do an awful lot until you're where you want to be with regard setup then go from there. There are plenty of guys on here who know far more than me, and I'm sure one of them will be able to give you the help you need, mate

User Info Menu

Pinstripes are built for attack, really one of the best heads for it if you ask me. You might try clear emperors next time for batters, although for now to balance it out a bit try ambassadors for resonant heads. Attack can really come in handy at times though, depending on the genre you play and what the kit is being used for(practice, live, recording). I was watching a drummer playing a kit I like the other day, and he was saying how certain shells react better to double and some react better to single. My theory behind this conclusion is that a shell combined with the hardware for it offers more sustain and gets more sustain from a single ply, but balances out nicely when a double ply head is introduced.

Take birch for example, beautiful wood has very little optimization needed to be done to it because it doesn't have a huge sustain in it's natural form. Giving it a double ply head increases that characteristic, whereas the single ply head can open it up a little - change how it responds and acts tonally. Suddenly that focused sound can become slightly more open and warm.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

very informative, Russ. I knew some of you guys could give better advice than me.

User Info Menu

Get reso heads, dont hit so hard.

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Pinstripes have quite a bit of attack. Which i like. On my 2nd kit which i use more for jazz and whatnot i have coated skins. much warmer rounder sound.

also. not having reso skins makes it quite punchy too.

try using a single ply, and tuning them nice and low to round it out a bit. I do the opposite, use g2's, tune em pretty high, and add moon gel as playing deathmetal i need the attack for all the fast hits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Get reso heads, dont hit so hard.
    Yup on the first part, but can that second piece of advice is hard:P
    TEARL

www.BreakingSilenceCO.com

I play PDP (X-7 Maple) and Sabian Xs...mostly because I'm not rich

User Info Menu

Pinstripes have a ton of attack because that's what they're made for. Get some reso heads and if there's still too much attack, try some coated Emperors or G2s.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Pinstripes have a ton of attack because that's what they're made for. Get some reso heads and if there's still too much attack, try some coated Emperors or G2s.
    +1... coated Emperors give me the perfect balance of attack and warmth, brightness and depth.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14