Thread: Encouraging a young drummer

User Info Menu

Default Encouraging a young drummer

This young drummer at my church is feeling some type of way because he isn't on the level of other drummers whom visit our church. I told him to stop worrying, and asked him three questions. 1. Do you love the drums? 2. Do you love to play the drums? 3. Do you give it YOUR best every time you sit behind a set? He said "yes" to all of the questions. Please help me encourage him by posting positive messages, because I would like to show him what all you other drummers have to say.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Encouraging a young drummer

How long has this individual been playing? You can't expect to be Neil Peart or Bonham in a short period of time. It takes time and practice to build your chops. It certainly isn't gonna happen overnight.

The only advice I have is, give it time, keep practicing, keep your chin up and you'll get there. I don't know any drummers that are 100% satisfied with their abilities. If you're not always trying to learn and get better and advance your skills, what's the point?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    How long has this individual been playing? You can't expect to be Neil Peart or Bonham in a short period of time. It takes time and practice to build your chops. It certainly isn't gonna happen overnight.

The only advice I have is, give it time, keep practicing, keep your chin up and you'll get there. I don't know any drummers that are 100% satisfied with their abilities. If you're not always trying to learn and get better and advance your skills, what's the point?
    Ok....everytime I hear you say "I suck"...I'll bring this post up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I haven't said that since you counseled me, my friend.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

I haven't said that since you counseled me, my friend.
    Finally!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    We all feel like we suck at times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 501208 View Post
    We all feel like we suck at times.
    That's just the thing. I was just like the young kid you're trying to encourage. My good friend, Mr. late8 gave me some advice one time when I kept saying that I suck. He said, you're a drummer, and the leader. He also said, you need to have confidence and not put yourself down because you're never gonna get anywhere. He also told my to quit saying that. He was right. I just keep practicing and trying to have fun.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

When I was young and just started learning the drums, I used to get terrible stage fright. I would almost freeze up when I had to do a fill. It terrified me to screw up. Then one time, my music teacher was showing us some new stuff on the drums and he kept screwing it up. He said, "See, even the guy that went to college to learn how to teach you makes mistakes!". He put my mind at ease and from then on, I just kept practicing, made mistakes and learned from them, until I got comfortable.

Because we are looked upon to "lead" the band, we sometimes put a lot of stress on ourselves. Relax and just try hard to have fun.

In the words of Rob Schneider......"You can doooooo iiiiittt!!!!!"
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I started off playing in church. i used to feel the same way, but an uncle of mine who also plays drums kept encouraging, and still does to this day. i heard people say things about my playing, and it made me feel worse, but eventually learned that i loved drums so much that i would rather get better. shortly after i got kit at home to practice on and have been getting better and better since. But i made up in my mind that i wanted to get better to prove all those people wrong, that coupled with encouragement made me a better drummer. Oh and practice doesnt hurt either LOL.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Tell him to keep practicing, keep watching those other drummers, and he will get better. Suggest having other "better" drummers showing up a the church is a blessing and to watch and learn and ask questions from all those drummers. How many times to you have a constant flow of talented drummers come and play in front of you and have the opportunity to converse and get tips from them? That is a blessing my friend. Look at the positive things that God hands you or put in touch of your life.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Chicks love drummers!!!!...I started playing clubs @13 , had to get snuck into 1 place in a trap case (funny stuff) when the rest of the band was 19+ at the time. Hang out with other drummers, listen, and learn.....Practice, and then practice again..chicks love drummers!

User Info Menu

The important thing to remember is that NO ONE starts out at the top of their craft - not a sports star, not a professor, and not a drummer. You start at the bottom, and with practice, you climb the ladder toward the top. Along the way, you'll encounter others that are higher on the ladder than you. Just remember that they got there the same way that you're getting there. We may not be where we want to be . . . yet, but if we think about it, we're also not where we were when we started. Don't let anyone steal your moment . . . that moment when you revel in being a DRUMMER!

Even though we'd all like to be better, we are still doing something that non-drummers admire, and wish they could do.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone. I also told him to be himself. Don't try to play like someone else, create your own style. If you look at it, no one plays exactly the same, everyone does something different. You may be a rudimental drummer, a groove drummer, a heavy hitter, more on the top end, or more on the low end. Whatever it is, love it and play it.

User Info Menu

Why not show him this thread?
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Why not show him this thread?
    I did. It made him feel good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 501208 View Post
    I did. It made him feel good.
    Awesome! Tell him to hang in there. It sounds like both he and I are beginner drummers, but he has something I don't have. That thing is time. I am 48 years old and just starting over. Becoming a better drummer takes exactly that. Time.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Awesome! Tell him to hang in there. It sounds like both he and I are beginner drummers, but he has something I don't have. That thing is time. I am 48 years old and just starting over. Becoming a better drummer takes exactly that. Time.
    Just love what you do..............

User Info Menu

There's no point comparing his level to another drummer's level, they're more advanced and everyone progress at their own rate and understanding, time, dedication, motivation, perseverance, discipline and making it a fun lifetime journey that never end is the key to positive progression.

We all feel down sometimes, but after the rain comes the sun... always.

User Info Menu

Like Mike Johnston was saying in his positive post thing, different people are at different timelines. It's not so much about being better or worse, just that you've been at it longer or not as long as the next guy. And there's nothing wrong with that, you put in the work and you'll see improvement. It will come, even if it takes awhile. I got all the time in the world for drums.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Tell the young kid alot of us started exactly where he is starting now at church. Only with patience,commitment & determination we achieve our goals. He's got a leg up on most people playing in front of crowd at church will help him never get stage fright.