Thread: back issues

User Info Menu

Default back issues

my lower back and sometimes upper back hurt if Im playing a slow, or quit song, because those kinds of songs you tend not to move around as much. and when im staying in one spot for about 15 mins my back starts to get worse and worse as the time go's on. i know its not good and i want to do something about it. this is what my thone looks like (pretty close)>> http://www.indoorstorm.com/dixon/ddh014.jpg
    and i was wondering if you think it is my throne that is causing this? I was thinking of a throne something like this http://www.brdistribution.co.uk/acatalog/WMCT.jpg
    , its pricey, but you cant put a price on health

User Info Menu

I don't think that the throne change is going to make a difference unless it has a backrest. Then again, I'm not an expert on this. Any doctors or chiropractors in the house?

I can say to make sure you're getting proper exercise regardless. This will help strengthen your back. Also, be sure you're sitting up straight when you play. If you're slouching, that can't be helping.

Often, if you go without exercise, your back will pay a price anyway. It's probably not stemming from your stool. You're just feeling the effects of it when you play.

User Info Menu

Yes, there is a chiropractor in the house, but you don't need me. You said it well, drummer! The most common problem for a drummer is to slouch when drumming. That puts tremendous pressure on the lower back, and can cause the vertebrae of the spine to shift ever so slightly out of there normal position. Your back knows the difference, and will become tired more quickly. If spinal misalignments already exist, a chiropractor can help, and then you need to make sure that you sit up straight when you are playing. If that is tiring, you should exercise the back muscles, and the abdominal muscles, to improve the "core strength" necessary to survive as a drummer.
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 08-24-2007 at 09:34 AM.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'd definately recommend getting a motorcycle/bicycle throne anyway, they are much more comfortable than the standard stool types. It allows me to practice and play for much longer (I used to use an office chair :S)

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Sit straight! Good posture is very underated. Ive never had back problems and it all stems frpm keeping your back as straight as possible.

User Info Menu

my back doesnt hurt but my right shoulder blade, kind of under it burns sometimes after im playing for a while. i dont know why, i mean even if im just doing 8th notes on the hats or something it will start to burn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can
    my back doesnt hurt but my right shoulder blade, kind of under it burns sometimes after im playing for a while. i dont know why, i mean even if im just doing 8th notes on the hats or something it will start to burn
    Try doing some stretches before you play, and warm up a little. I've gotten into a little routine before drumming now. Shoulder Blades, Forearms (both ways), Fingers/Wrists, Triceps and then some leg stretches. Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Ankles, Groin.

Stretch each of them for about 15 seconds, and you'll be all limbered up to play. I never used to do it, but now I swear by it.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I agree with the stretching and exercising.

I am dealing with a herniated disc and piched nerve in my lower back right now. I go in tomorrow for an Epidermol(Spelling?) shot, then if that does not work surgery.

As soon as this is over, I am going to start exercising and stretching just for the sake of the drumming. I don't want to be put out to pasture before I even start!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    dude!! i know that exact feeling, i get that too, its a really anyoing feeling and it burns.. i dunno how to explain it but i know what yea mean .

well iv tried to sit straight and it just isnt cutting it, iv tried moving my chair up, and down, iv gone to a ciroprator and still it hurts. only thing i can think of is, is using my back instead of my legs at work. i wearhouse produce, so it can be pretty strenuos on my back. i try to lift with my legs, but sometimes i just forget and not care, although i should. and probably not engough exersice would be part of it.

User Info Menu

BTW, I can't possibly imagine why any student (who carries a heavy backpack all day), who also performs on a marching band drumline (carrying a heavy snare drum, or even multiple toms), would have any back issues of any kind when they sit down at a drum kit!! Just a chiropractor's small observation.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

whey pb, we have a good chiropractor' down in my town, according to my mom cause shes been to many. do you think he could slove my back problem?

User Info Menu

If he's a good chiropractor, then he will examine you and give you his opinion about whether he might be able to help you. I think it would be worth the effort on your part.

BTW, I see a chiropractor every week to have my spine adjusted.

User Info Menu

well it seems to help my mom, and well, it helps you too it looks like so ill give it a try! thanks PB

User Info Menu

I might get flack from this but here goes. Sitting up straight would help your back but will kill your groove! It's kind of a catch 22. Ever watched a drummer like Chad Smith lay down a killer groove? He's all bent over man feeling the beat in all his body. Sitting up straight CAN lead to sterile sounding "arm" drumming. Other guys like Travis Barker are all over the place bobbing and weaving.......terrible for your back but.......I have a bad lower back so what do I know hehe. Blessings........