Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: repaired K worth it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: repaired K worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Repairing a cymbal that you broke when you cant afford a replacement Im all for. But personally I wouldnt buy a broken cymbal.
    But hey, its your money and you're happy go for it!
    NR pegged my thoughts perfectly. I wouldn't buy a cracked/repaired/broken cymbal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    NR pegged my thoughts perfectly. I wouldn't buy a cracked/repaired/broken cymbal.
    I guess if you find a damaged normally costing $500.00 cymbal new, $300.00 used. Then you spend the $80.00 if you want to thinking you got a good deal. Which it was. The sound a slightly damaged K ride, because of it being altered, still sounds 10 times better than most entry level cymbals.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 04-22-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I guess if you find a damaged normally costing $500.00 cymbal new, $300.00 used. Then you spend the $80.00 if you want to thinking you got a good deal. Which it was. The sound a slightly damaged K ride, because of it being altered, still sounds 10 times better than most entry level cymbals.
    Fair enough, but it's not for me. I wouldn't spend the 80.

User Info Menu

I wouldnt buy it either.

User Info Menu

If i owned it and repaired it...maybe...buy it? Never

User Info Menu

and to say "just because its cracked doesnt make it junk"...ummm, I wish I cracked cymbals, I'd sell ya my junk all day...and how do ya destroy a ride like that? sorry,it's junk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    and to say "just because its cracked doesnt make it junk"...ummm, I wish I cracked cymbals, I'd sell ya my junk all day...and how do ya destroy a ride like that? sorry,it's junk
    One man's junk is another man's treasure... although that doesn't sound quite right.

User Info Menu

If you can get a high quality cymbal with a small crack, for a small fraction of the original price and have the means of repairing it...you have made out. IMO. When there are long cracks along the lathe groove, for instance in the middle of the cymbal or around the bell, it can be repaired also but it really takes away from it's sound. It might make a great effect type cymbal though. If you had a 17" and cut it down to say..a 15", the edges will be too thick and the cymbal will sound gongy unless you lathe it down thinner. If the cymbal was very thin to begin with, maybe not.

I would like to make a lathe to take a thicker/heavy cymbal and lathe/cut it down thinner too for experimenting.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-23-2013 at 05:11 AM.

User Info Menu

maybe I'm cymbal shallow but I don't really like the look of repaired cymbals. I've seen some with extreme cutouts. They don't look right and don't sit right afterwards. I have a couple cracked Sabian's (imagine that) and thought about repairing them but probably never will.
    Last edited by slinky; 04-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    If you can get a high quality cymbal with a small crack, for a small fraction of the original price and have the means of repairing it...you have made out. IMO. When there are long cracks along the lathe groove, for instance in the middle of the cymbal or around the bell, it can be repaired also but it really takes away from it's sound. It might make a great effect type cymbal though. If you had a 17" and cut it down to say..a 15", the edges will be too thick and the cymbal will sound gongy unless you lathe it down thinner. If the cymbal was very thin to begin with, maybe not.

I would like to make a lathe to take a thicker/heavy cymbal and lathe/cut it down thinner too for experimenting.
    Cut down cymbals make excellent hi hat bottoms!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    send em on over!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

gosh were full to the brim with prima donna's round here huh?

jk, to each there own, i suppose i wont really know until it arrives.

in my defense i like my money, and i like the idea of salvage.

btw this is a 22 ride, and i do not expect any additional cracking. not sure if id purchase a crash but if so i wouldn't pay more than 20 or 30 bucks for one repaired. my only wish is that this ride was sold broken as is and i had scooped it even cheaper and done the work myself.
    Last edited by onegourd; 04-23-2013 at 08:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post

sounds like a worthwhile idea to me! i think lathing's quite a bit of fun.

User Info Menu

my thoughts precisely!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Cut down cymbals make excellent hi hat bottoms!

all the best...
    agreed!

i had a titanium crash meant as a sizzle effect, which was cut down from 16 to twelve (w/for rivets in it), and placed it under a 12 paiste noiseworks top and it made for a killer little pair of funky hats.
    Last edited by onegourd; 04-23-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: sloppy editing

User Info Menu

Also where on earth are you buying cymbals that cost 500 bucks???

This cymbal (20") brand new is $339 at GC, which is still over priced. So the 22" can't be wildly more expensive than that. Either way I wouldn't pay that for it.

User Info Menu

ive found em for 329.00 which means a 249.00$ savings for me. which translates to one Rush ticket, and a 150.00 in my pocket!!

but i hear ya marko, i can clearly see why some would not purchase a repaired cymbal. im a cheap date, what can i say honestly, i still have my reservations. wont know till its in my hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    ive found em for 329.00 which means a 249.00$ savings for me. which translates to one Rush ticket, and a 150.00 in my pocket!!

but i hear ya marko, i can clearly see why some would not purchase a repaired cymbal. im a cheap date, what can i say honestly, i still have my reservations. wont know till its in my hands.
    I hope it sounds great! To each his own, my brother.

User Info Menu

I hope it sounds great! To each his own, my brother.
    right on! thanks bro.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't buy a broken cymbal either. I did have a cracked 14" Sabian evolution China for a long time that had a 1"-1.5" crack.It never got any bigger and didn't change the sound since it was already trashy.I have since bought another used one for 1/3 of the cost of a new one and it is holding up well.
    I had a cracked 18" crash which could of been an easy repair but was under warranty so I got it replaced.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: repaired K worth it?

Arrived today!! sounds great, smokey wash, dark obviously, nice stick definition and in great condition beyond the obvious.

was thinking about cleaning up the gap but opted to let it be, i figure why take off any more cymbal material than necessary, and distress it further, its the sound im after anyhow right? or i wouldn't of bought a damaged cymbal in the first place!

anyhow it'll do until i can buy one whole, and will im sure remain a valuable sound option within my collection long after.

ill post a sound file when i get something recorded.

User Info Menu

Also where on earth are you buying cymbals that cost 500 bucks???

This cymbal (20") brand new is $339 at GC, which is still over priced. So the 22" can't be wildly more expensive than that. Either way I wouldn't pay that for it.
    Um. Research before you post, man. Your wrong. GC 22" K Constantinople $519.00. 22" K Custom $419.00. K Dark $409.00. The cheapest K is $350.00. He said it's a K series, right? Not a regular 20".
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    Arrived today!! sounds great, smokey wash, dark obviously, nice stick definition and in great condition beyond the obvious.

was thinking about cleaning up the gap but opted to let it be, i figure why take off any more cymbal material than necessary, and distress it further, its the sound im after anyhow right? or i wouldn't of bought a damaged cymbal in the first place!

anyhow it'll do until i can buy one whole, and will im sure remain a valuable sound option within my collection long after.

ill post a sound file when i get something recorded.
    Good buy when you can't afford new or even used. You have a formally undamaged $400.00 22" ride with damage that really doesn't affect the sound for $80.00 bucks. A great deal no matter how anybody else wants to spin it.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Um. Research before you post, man. Your wrong. GC 22" K Constantinople $519.00. 22" K Custom $419.00. K Dark $409.00. The cheapest K is $350.00. He said it's a K series, right? Not a regular 20".
    No cymbal on earth is worth over 500 bucks to me. Spend your money how you wish. Besides, no where in this thread did I see the original poster say this was a K Constantinople. He said K heavy which is what I found on GC website (20") for $339.
    Last edited by marko138; 04-25-2013 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

No cymbal on earth is worth over 500 bucks to me. Spend your money how you wish. Besides, no where in this thread did I see the original poster say this was a K Constantinople. He said K heavy which is what I found on GC website (20") for $339.
    We don't know what kind of "K" it is. I just listed what today's K's are. Your right. $500.00 for any cymbal is crazy unless you wipe your butt with $20.00 bills, right? But he did say that it was a 22". Not a 20". So, although he bought a cracked cymbal, which a lot of people wouldn't buy, right? You still have to realize that it was a good deal. That's all I was saying. Plus it's a 22". Not a 20". Cheapest 22" K is a custom for $350.00 on GC right now. So he paid a quarter of what it cost. Albeit it's damaged. But you can't even get a ZBT for $80.00 bucks new. So in my eyes it's a great deal for him.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash