Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: repaired K worth it?

User Info Menu

Default repaired K worth it?

I just purchased a supposed 22 K without knowing its style designation. no ink. from the stamp i was able to tell its a 2006 K but that's all i got. left an email with Zildjian, not sure if i'll get a response.

Looks sorta heavy weight with a rather thick lathe, im thinking heavy K?
    a 2 1/2 to 3 crack from the outside edge has been drilled out completely but at 79$ with shipping i couldn't help myself.

what do you guys think? i mean beyond my buying a cymbal on the internet without hearing it or knowing its style
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Default Re: repaired K worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    I just purchased a supposed 22 K without knowing its style designation. no ink. from the stamp i was able to tell its a 2006 K but that's all i got. left an email with Zildjian, not sure if i'll get a response.

Looks sorta heavy weight with a rather thick lathe, im thinking heavy K?
    a 2 1/2 to 3 crack from the outside edge has been drilled out completely but at 79$ with shipping i couldn't help myself.

what do you guys think? i mean beyond my buying a cymbal on the internet without hearing it or knowing its style
    Well, a Zildjian K any model is a sought after pro level cymbal, right? And if your going to treat it as a ride cymbal, for which it is designed, then you won't have a problem with it cracking anymore. And the sound shouldn't be gravely altered. I'm just wondering how a 22" Zildjian K series ride got cracked like that in the first place?!?!?!? Did they smash it like a crash? In that case it's no wonder it cracked. What a shame. And is a gross level of blasphemy if that's what they did to it. $79.00 for a damaged $520.00 cymbal? I'd say it's a dam good deal if it's going to be your ride cymbal. If your going to crash it, not so good. It's going to shatter. It's to thick to crash.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I think the K is a great cymbal..but this crack..drilled out? may be a risk..but for 79bucks..its worth a try..is this crack following the rings? if it starts to go across the grain so to speak then maybe get it professionally cut to smaller diameter and use it as a special effects cymbal.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

Larrysperf Guest

If done correct its a great deal and you could learn to love that cymbal I have a explosion crash that has been repaired and I love it. As far as Im cocserned same as buying a ozone or Aero there full of holes lol

User Info Menu

Thanks wolvie, and i agree on both counts that this cymbal was seriously ill treated, and if im to treat it like a ride i should have no problems. oddly enough, i was in the market for a crash-able ride when this sidetracked me, so that will have to wait. thanks for the encouragement!

and yea Marty fortunately its perpendicular to the rings so i shouldn't foresee a problem and considering how great K's are i thought it was worth a try. thanks!

Larry i agree entirely, you've done got yourself an Ozone! yea i rarely find a small to mid-size repair to be an issue in sound. im always trawling around for this sort of stuff, but generally the damage is ridiculous or its a type of cymbal im not super interested in. but its nice when you find these opportunities.

i felt good about the purchase until it turned out the seller was not a drummer and had no idea what the model was nor could he give me a simple description of its playing qualities. but again its a K and its 80 bucks, so what the heck i guess!

and again, thanks you guys, you have helped my clear out of my buyers remorse. much appreciated!
    Last edited by onegourd; 04-17-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added content

User Info Menu

You may want to think about cutting out a triangular shaped piece around the crack to be totally safe (if it runs in from the edge and not along the lathing). Even if there is a drill hole stopping the crack, you still may have rough egdes rubbing against each other and rattling.

Great score, btw. I would have done the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    You may want to think about cutting out a triangular shaped piece around the crack to be totally safe (if it runs in from the edge and not along the lathing). Even if there is a drill hole stopping the crack, you still may have rough egdes rubbing against each other and rattling.

Great score, btw. I would have done the same.
    Thanks for the extra confidence Shane! ive let a few of this sort of thing slip through my hands in the last coulple of months thinking no one would be interested and boy was i wrong!

also thanks for the advice, fortunately whoever drilled it out did it with a large bit and created a third of an inch vein where the crack had been so no rubbing. and as far as i can tell from the pics the edges seem to be fairly smooth.

User Info Menu

I understand some of the responses..but, would you buy a broken car? why would anyone spend cash on a broken anything?

User Info Menu

pics...you should round out the crack. I've had success with repairing several.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I understand some of the responses..but, would you buy a broken car? why would anyone spend cash on a broken anything?
    A broken car wouldn't get it's job done, but a cracked cymbal isn't necessarily broken. All a void in a cymbal does is break up the sound a bit quicker. Every company in the market has a cymbal with holes in it in their catalog. As long as the damage is contained and the cymbal still sounds good, you're in business. Granted, the cymbal has to sound good in the first place. An old Scimitar with a 3" crack will likely sound awful. A big, heavy, K Ride with a nickle sized chunk cut out of the edge will hardly notice the difference. The intact inner part of the cymbal will ring normally, and the outer part will add some hopefully interesting overtones. Anyway...I demand PICS!

User Info Menu

Apples and oranges question. Doesn't apply. A broken cymbal isn't necessarily trash. Depending on the damage.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/ratkorga10/library/

I know there's a better way to do this but this is completely new to me, any instruction would be the bee's knee's!
    sorry in advance to the mods if i did something wrong, please let me know and pull the post.
    Last edited by onegourd; 04-20-2013 at 07:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    pics...you should round out the crack. I've had success with repairing several.
    id like to round it out Olimpass, i have a drill and some metal bits, any advice? or should i just leave it be? it currently looks like one of the water tendrils from the Abyss which i think rather cool cause im a geek.
    Last edited by onegourd; 04-20-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added content

User Info Menu

Repairing a cymbal that you broke when you cant afford a replacement Im all for. But personally I wouldnt buy a broken cymbal.
    But hey, its your money and you're happy go for it!

User Info Menu

I getcha NR, honestly im simply strapped for cash and it was this or a Meinl Classics 20" ride for double the cost.

at some point when i have a little cash buffer i hope to just grab a K out right factory fresh.

User Info Menu

What did you have before?

User Info Menu

id like to round it out Olimpass, i have a drill and some metal bits, any advice? or should i just leave it be? it currently looks like one of the water tendrils from the Abyss which i think rather cool cause im a geek.
    Saw the pic...that's pretty deep. I would just probably leave it the way it is. The good part is, the crack being the lighter end of the cymbal, will go upwards. Just don't hit it too close to that repaired area.

User Info Menu

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/ratkorga10/library/

I know there's a better way to do this but this is completely new to me, any instruction would be the bee's knee's!
    sorry in advance to the mods if i did something wrong, please let me know and pull the post.
    What you did will work. But if you want to post actual pictures and not just a link. First you have to join a photo sharing/posting site. Imageshack, or Photobucket, I'm sure there are tons more. I use Imageshack. Join up, it's free on their site. Upload your pictures from your computer onto their site. It's easy. Click on media upload. Click on browse. Find your picture. Say save. Then upload now, (I'm burnt out with "click on"). Left click on forum code. Right click say copy. Go to Drumchat. Write your post out. When your ready for your picture, left click on the little blue ball icon (mouse over it and it's called insert link). Right click in the rectangle, say paste. Say okay. Your done. Preview your post down at the bottom of the page to see if you did it right. If not, try again. If good, submit reply.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Saw the pic...that's pretty deep. I would just probably leave it the way it is. The good part is, the crack being the lighter end of the cymbal, will go upwards. Just don't hit it too close to that repaired area.
    This. It looks like a dremel tool with a metal cutting bit was used. It's a pretty deep crack. I wouldn't be crashing on this cymbal at all. Of course it's a ride and that's why it got cracked in the first place. Don't crash a ride, right? Ride's are usually to thick to crash. Oh, and keep the damaged area 180 degrees from you like Olimpass said.

(2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Like Wolvie56 said, looks like a carbide burr was used to grind it out. I prefer using a pneumatic, air die grinder with a cut-off wheel and smooth it out after with a sanding disk on the same grinder. If you get your cymbal to look more like this it'd be better. Even on that little cut-out. Note all the edges are rounded. (lol....photoshop, much easier repair)

I made a vid of myself repairing an 18" cracked 2002 I purchased for $35. The crack was a little worse than I expected, so I had to grind out a long section because the crack was along the lathed groove of the cymbal. It actually still sounds good now and have been using it often. (the air compressor was weak and the grinder was dying out on me. I had to push start the grinder a couple times) I would run the cut-off wheel into a candle for the wax. It keeps the cymbal material from gunking up on your wheel and cuts better. Doing it this way, you have to be careful, wear eye protection and keep a firm grip on the grinder so it doesn't ride along the cymbal putting gouges/nicks elsewhere!

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-20-2013 at 05:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    What did you have before?
    i had a aa raw ride, a meinl med jazz, a Dream Bliss, a Kasza rock ride, and presently a zildjian amir 2 crash-ride which is, pretty eh. spent some time flipping cymbals last year, still not sure why, probably boredom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    This. It looks like a dremel tool with a metal cutting bit was used. It's a pretty deep crack. I wouldn't be crashing on this cymbal at all. Of course it's a ride and that's why it got cracked in the first place. Don't crash a ride, right? Ride's are usually to thick to crash. Oh, and keep the damaged area 180 degrees from you like Olimpass said.

Thanks for the pic tutorial Wolvie. and the playing advice on this cymbal. i wasnt sure if a dremel was capable of this sort of work, good to know! iva considered on occasion dabbling with purchase and repair of cymbals for myself and possible resale, doesn't seem to complicated.

User Info Menu

Like Wolvie56 said, looks like a carbide burr was used to grind it out. I prefer using a pneumatic, air die grinder with a cut-off wheel and smooth it out after with a sanding disk on the same grinder. If you get your cymbal to look more like this it'd be better. Even on that little cut-out. Note all the edges are rounded. (lol....photoshop, much easier repair)

I made a vid of myself repairing an 18" cracked 2002 I purchased for $35. The crack was a little worse than I expected, so I had to grind out a long section because the crack was along the lathed groove of the cymbal. It actually still sounds good now and have been using it often. (the air compressor was weak and the grinder was dying out on me. I had to push start the grinder a couple times) I would run the cut-off wheel into a candle for the wax. It keeps the cymbal material from gunking up on your wheel and cuts better. Doing it this way, you have to be careful, wear eye protection and keep a firm grip on the grinder so it doesn't ride along the cymbal putting gouges/nicks elsewhere!

Thanks for this post Olimpass, very informative. think i might prefer this method with the cut-off wheel, as it appears easier to control. and thanks for the photoshop repair, i would certainly prefer it that way! considering the reduction in cost and the salvaging of good cymbals, along with neat looking cut-outs i think i may even favor repaired cymbals.
    Last edited by onegourd; 04-21-2013 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I can see doing this on a budget, and understand it, but why spend $ on a busted cymbal if you already have a ride?!..what would make you drop what you have for a broken cymbal?......and guys saying "just because it's cracked, doesnt make it junk"...?!?.. Maybe it's me, but i would have added $20 and bought a used ride that isnt busted...and , yes, in my eyes, Junk

User Info Menu

I can see doing this on a budget, and understand it, but why spend $ on a busted cymbal if you already have a ride?!..what would make you drop what you have for a broken cymbal?......and guys saying "just because it's cracked, doesnt make it junk"...?!?.. Maybe it's me, but i would have added $20 and bought a used ride that isnt busted...and , yes, in my eyes, Junk
    ive got a bum leg, though i can still dance, i suppose im junk

honestly if a 100 bucks could get me a used cymbal of something close to this grade i would of been happy to buy it.

in response i can only say some of us just aren't as offended by imperfections. i get where your coming from though.