Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: o-zone cymbals

User Info Menu

Default o-zone cymbals

In my search for replacement cymbals, I keep running across these. I have never hit one and don't know how they sound. Does anybody have any and what is your opinion? Thanks

TDP

User Info Menu

Default Re: o-zone

Kinda sound dirty...in the vein of a china...but not quite as trashy. I really dig the 10" AAX air splash.

User Info Menu

I have the Zildjian version (A custom 20" EFX). Personally I love mine- produces a great wash and unique "big dark crash". I have heard the Ozone's in person and my only comment is that they decay alot quicker than I'm used to with the EFX. Otherwise the sound is very similar.

User Info Menu

The 18" sounds like a China crash.Best way I can describe it's sound.The 10" splash,which I would avoid,sounds about the same with quick decay.The 10" ozone splash broke pretty quick and around the bell.I got rid of the 18" because I feared the same would happen.Cool sounding cymbal but if you pay more then $50,don't beat the thing to death.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I would not use them for heavier styles of music. The holes make them much more likely to crack. For lighter styles they would be fine though. Generally they are darker sounding, trashy but not really like a china either. It's a really unique sound.

User Info Menu

I have a 16" Ozone. Very trashy cymbal indeed, not gongy like a china though. Awesome cymbal, love it to death. You don't have to hit it super hard to get an effective sound out of it too.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkPrince View Post
    In my search for replacement cymbals, I keep running across these. I have never hit one and don't know how they sound. Does anybody have any and what is your opinion? Thanks

TDP
    Like the other posts are saying, they are indeed fast and decay quickly. If you are not playing with a china, but want that quick, trashy sound, this is the one for you. They would be good for a smaller bar/tavern venue, lower volume style, where a china may be too much. Good accent cymbal with a snare hit.
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Kinda sound dirty...in the vein of a china...but not quite as trashy. I really dig the 10" AAX air splash.
    If you like the air splash, you should def look into finding one of these if you can. It's a prototype from Sabian, modeled just like an AA Holy China, but much smaller. They are fast, with a quick decay, but have the volume and cut of a Mini China. The sound awesome together in an, off-set quick, two hit combo accent. Pictured here are a 12" and a 10". I'd say they are similar to a china trash, but with a louder attack.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Animaldrums9585 View Post
    If you like the air splash, you should def look into finding one of these if you can. It's a prototype from Sabian, modeled just like an AA Holy China, but much smaller. They are fast, with a quick decay, but have the volume and cut of a Mini China. The sound awesome together in an, off-set quick, two hit combo accent. Pictured here are a 12" and a 10". I'd say they are similar to a china trash, but with a louder attack.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Those are awesome. A little pricey though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Those are awesome. A little pricey though.
    Yes, they were a little steep, but at the time I was ballin' so I sprang for them... I believe I paid $135 for the 10", and $145 for the 12".
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Animaldrums9585 View Post
    Yes, they were a little steep, but at the time I was ballin' so I sprang for them... I believe I paid $135 for the 10", and $145 for the 12".
    I roll with a 10" china splash. Really cool sound.

User Info Menu

Default Re: o-zone cymbals

Good answers from everyone. The Air Splash is a nice sounding splash for sure.

I've never been a big O-Zone fan or EFX fan. They get the job done if you are looking for a trashy option while still trying to keep a classic cymbal sound, but I just never got into them or thought I could use them for anything I do. They have their place but it just matters what sound you want.

I've hit a few O-Zones and EFXs and they just don't jump out at me like I want a cymbal too. But to each their own.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

I have a 16" AAX O-zone and love the sound. It has a lot of bite to it.

User Info Menu

I have a matching set of 18s, one solid and the other with 6 2" holes, made at the same time. The solid one is almost too heavy for me to play considering that I'm a relatively light hitter. The vented one responds and decays a lot quicker. I find the decay doesn't matter when I've got screaming guitar amps all around me. The punchy and slightly trashy sound works pretty well for rock and country. I can also use it with a jazz/blues band if I play it way soft. It sounds really cool with a chain rattler, and I'm considering adding some rivets. It lets me get a low pitched crash without having to hit so hard. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Another option from Sabian is the Aero Crash it has smaller holes to me mine sounds nice ring not to trashy but i lightly hit it not bringing the trashy side of it out

User Info Menu

I have a 16" Wuhan China I'm about to O-Zone and wanted some input. i marked out the potential holes I want to drill out. I and going to rill then very slowly to keep heat down,, to avoid the areas around them from becoming brittle. My concern is is that the outside holes will be to close to the ridge on the cymbal where it turns down. MY thought is to make the very inside and very outside holes 1/4" and the two inside 1/2"... if the outter holes develop hairline cracks i can drill them out bigger, and maybe get a little more life out of it. Has anyone done this or have any input or suggestions.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I have a matching set of 18s, one solid and the other with 6 2" holes, made at the same time. The solid one is almost too heavy for me to play considering that I'm a relatively light hitter. The vented one responds and decays a lot quicker. I find the decay doesn't matter when I've got screaming guitar amps all around me. The punchy and slightly trashy sound works pretty well for rock and country. I can also use it with a jazz/blues band if I play it way soft. It sounds really cool with a chain rattler, and I'm considering adding some rivets. It lets me get a low pitched crash without having to hit so hard. Good stuff.
    You have a solid O-zone? That doesn't make it an O-zone though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    You have a solid O-zone? That doesn't make it an O-zone though...
    Sorry, you misread that comment - I have a pair of 18s that were the same, then one was made into a vented cymbal, so I can tell pretty closely how that changes the sound from the solid version.

User Info Menu

I have a Sabian HHX Evolution 16" O-zone that I use at my church and I like it. I use it as one of my main crashes and it has a distinct sound! It has enough body and decay to the sound for it to be used as a main crash. I don't hit too hard and we've had it for a little over 2 years. It has a small crack on the inside of one of the circles that is about 2mm big... very smal and doesn't affect the sound. I am interested in adding an 18" Sabian Aero crash to that church setup.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    I have a Sabian HHX Evolution 16" O-zone that I use at my church and I like it. I use it as one of my main crashes and it has a distinct sound! It has enough body and decay to the sound for it to be used as a main crash. I don't hit too hard and we've had it for a little over 2 years. It has a small crack on the inside of one of the circles that is about 2mm big... very smal and doesn't affect the sound. I am interested in adding an 18" Sabian Aero crash to that church setup.
    Get the Holy China,put a mic near it and then hit it really hard so everyone jumps out of their seats
    I didn't care for the Aero Crashes.The Ozones sound good but just not solid enough for me.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Sorry, you misread that comment - I have a pair of 18s that were the same, then one was made into a vented cymbal, so I can tell pretty closely how that changes the sound from the solid version.
    Oh alright fair enough, I thought when you were referring to your 18's, they were two 18" o-zones. My bad

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

I have owned 3.. I got 2 replaced on warrenty because they both broke in a year.

they sound great. have a fast attack too... and are very thin.

Being a hard hitter they are not the cymbal for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    I have owned 3.. I got 2 replaced on warrenty because they both broke in a year.

they sound great. have a fast attack too... and are very thin.

Being a hard hitter they are not the cymbal for me.
    Don't hit so hard. Problem solved.

User Info Menu

I like them. I tried a Paiste Alpha 18" thin Swiss Crash, I think it was called. Excellent sound. I can definitely see using it for some interesting effects.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I've got a 16" HHX Evo O-Zone that I love. It produces a quick burst of white noise. Since I'm not a hard hitter, it works great for me - it opens up easily. I've had it for 10 years or so and I'm sure it will crack eventually (it's a very thin cymbal), but I've totally gotten my money's worth out of it.