Thread: Help with Ludwig tom mount

User Info Menu

Default Help with Ludwig tom mount

Hey everyone! I ran into a problem today while cleaning my drums. I noticed that the ball-style mount of the high tom on my Ludwig Accent CS Customs was falling apart. I'm fairly certain that this was the previous owner, because I've noticed it being weird for awhile, but I finally took it apart to find this inside.

Anyone know where I could possibly find a replacement? I couldn't find anything on ludwig's website, because the specific series of drums is discontinued, and any of the tom mounts that I found included the entire mounting mechanism, and not just the ball part that I need. Does anyone know where I should look for a replacement?

Thanks!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with Ludwig tom mount

If you were near me I have an old Tama mount with a good ball and L-rod you could have it, but it would be cheaper to buy on new than pay the shipping.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar makes a replacement in 4 styles. Tom L-rod ball mounts with a hex arm and 3 different size in width arms. You need to determine the size and style or just bring it with you. I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out. They run around 8 dollars at local drum shops.
    Hex, 9.5mm, 10.5mm, 12.7mm.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-21-2013 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Try some Jb weld Or epoxy glue Zildjiankid its like 2 or 3 bucks for that stuff ive used it on diesel engine pans before.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar makes L-rods seperate from mounts, they are around $8 I believe. Easy to find a replacement. The only disadvantage to doing this is it won't be a 100% Ludwig kit anymore, but I doubt anyone would ever know the difference.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yes, buy an Ball L-Rod, Tama definitely makes one, or go to your local music store and order up a ludwig one that matches your size. Ludwig has a few sizes so. Definitely a cheap part.. I would advise against glueing it because if it snaps, your tom might drop onto your bass drum.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Like the others have said....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Like the others have said....

Thank you! I wasn't quite sure what the correct termonolgy for the part was, so I had some trouble finding it before. This helps a bunch!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Looks like your mount will fit the round type. Be careful not to get the hex, as it won't fit quite as well onto your mount. Round mount on a round rod will lock in a bit better, won't slip as much.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

some good epoxy/glue and a clamp.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Be careful not to get the hex, as it won't fit quite as well onto your mount.
    Russ if he looks under the Ludwig section that's highlighted, the L-rod won't be hexed. All of the OEM replacement parts will be specific to the design of the orginal part. I thought I was pointing out the obvious? Maybe not for you?