Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snare sounds like a tin can

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare sounds like a tin can

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Maybe the snares aren't tight enough against the resonant head.

Also, maybe muffling the drum could make it sound a bit better.
    agreed!
    crank the snares up
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Seems the snare's sounding good and now he wants a thuddy kick? Not a boom but a more muffled sound? I don't think porting makes a kick thud by itself, need to retune/detune the heads and add a pad that touches both heads. A pillow or quilt I think is overmuffling.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Have you checked the snare beds on the bottom bearing edge?

The best way to check them is to remove the bottom head and rim, place the shell against a mirror or sheet of glass and check the beds. You should be able to slip a once-folded piece of paper under the bed. If not, gently sand with a fine grit sandpaper until you have a gentle bed. Based on your description, that is likely your issue.

If you're not comfortable doing this, take it to a pro.

User Info Menu

It's been about 6 months since this Dean from Co posted this. I bet the kit's all tuned up!
    Last edited by slinglander; 11-22-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: edited comments
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I just bought a remo power stroke 3 with circle in center to take home and try on my snare and some moon gel. That makes the 4th head on my snare. And with that I should have one I like
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

Awesome. Love that drumhead. Tuned it up. Added 2 pieces of moon gel around edge. And it sounds great just what I was looking for.
    I have a tama slp bobinga snare 14".
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

You should check the screws on the snare stainer and butt end, you know the ones that hold the plastice part that goes to the snare wire. One of the screws maybe to loose and you may need to replace it. If thats not the case, heres a tuning secret that keeps my snare a snare. First that the plastice strip that is on the snare wires and put it in the snare strainer screwing thing and thighten the screws, then on the other side do the same but before to tighten the screws, throw off the snare, then pull softting and then tighten the screws. flip the entire snare over and throw on the snares to see if that works. It's hard to explain but if you lived down the street or whatever I would show you or look at your snare for free to see what the problem is.