Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on tour vehicle

User Info Menu

Default Looking for advice on tour vehicle

Hello, I don't know if this is the right forum, but I didn't see another one that seemed suiting so here it is. Im looking to get a vehicle to use for Touring in and also for just getting my drums around on a regular bass. It would be good if it fit all our equipment and the band. 4 people max. Get decent gas mileage. Be comfortable and reliable. Just wondering about ideas and tips on some of the things you guys have done on the road. Renting a van? Renting a trailer? School bus?

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: Looking for advice on tour vehicle

Hey Monster, If you dont have experience hauling and backing up a trailer rent the van or get a school bus.Trailers arent easy to manuever in reverse especially if u havent done before and your pressed for time.Besides you shouldnt exceed 45 mph when hauling a trailer (depending on what you using to haul the trailer). I would advise to get a van or bus and not be shinzy about how you haul your equipment, better safe than sorry.Good Luck.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for advice on tour vehicle

Toyota Hiace
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Looking for advice on tour vehicle

We have diffrent vehicles here in america xweasle. We get the watered down version of things u guys across seas get the cool stuff lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoyaDrumr! View Post
    We have diffrent vehicles here in america xweasle. We get the watered down version of things u guys across seas get the cool stuff lol.
    I'm sure you guys have Toyota vans, they're probably some of the highest selling vehicles of all time

Couriers love them because they're so dang reliable.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

van and trailer is pretty much the norm. The cost of a reliable bus would seem to be pretty expensive then getting it tagged and smog checked and someone would probably need a certain class license to operate it and diesel fuel is kinda pricey too. Renting would cost a fortune even for a weekend.

man, i just bummed myself out. sorry
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

you can get an old 14ft cube van fairly cheap.

User Info Menu

never seen a toyota van buy a van, trailer , and some deoderant(sp) change the oil reg to keep her running and keep going......and plan on eating, ummm, anything

User Info Menu

Thanks. Good call on the trailer, backing those up can be a nightmare though. I haven't looked into Toyota vans, but I will.

User Info Menu

look into U-haul auctions too...you can buy the box trucks cheap

User Info Menu

Suburban.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Ford Transit.
    Best selling van ever. There must be a reason for that!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Any sorta van or ute should do really. Even a wagon should be fine. If you are just hauling drums around, a trailer seems a bit overkill imo.

User Info Menu

the trailer is the most economical way to go if you ask me.... once you get used to backing up you'll be fine. Just make sure someone is watching you. you can latch it on to your regular vehicle (if it's not a prius), they don't weigh alot so all you're really toting is the weight of your gear, you don't have to put gas in it, upkeep is significantly less involving than owning a second vehicle. Also the cost to acquire and register a trailer is much much less than a second vehicle. And when you're not gigging all you have to do is simply detach and drive around like you do everyday.... of course all of this advice i'm giving means nothing if nobody in your band has enough room in their car for the entire band to ride along.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    Ford Transit.
    Best selling van ever. There must be a reason for that!
    +1, 23 mpg city 27 highway pricing for new starts in the low 20's should be able to find cheaper used.

User Info Menu

Rent a BandWagon. They are out of Indiana...

Cost Breakdown:

Rental Rate Schedule:

May 1 – October 31: $390 per day

November 1 – April 30: $375 per day

What that includes:

•BandWagon

•Trailer

•Satellite

•Unlimited Mileage

•Insurance

What is the BandWagon™RV?

The BandWagon™Rv is a vehicle designed to revolutionize mid-level touring. It has been designed for the specific purpose of entertainer touring, combining the comfort, amenities, layout, durability, and functionality of a tour bus with the ease of use of an RV. With a sleeping capacity of eight, plus an additional bunk for the driver, it provides a comfortable and affordable alternative to touring in a van, or touring in an entertainer coach under financial strain.

The most important feature of the BandWagon is that, through careful design considerations, it falls under 26,000 lb Gross Vehicle Weight, (GVW). This is very important because it means the BandWagon neither requires a CDL to drive, nor does it fall under the jurisdiction of the USDOT. This means that there are no fuel permits to buy, weigh stations to consider, hours-of-service restrictions, etc. that add cost and inconvenience to touring.

Each BandWagon RV comes standard with the following amenities:

•Microwave
    •Satellite
    •DVD Player
    •Surround Sound Stereo
    •Full-Sized Refrigerator (not bus sized)
    •8 bunks + 1 bunk in driver’s area
    •Full-sized shower & vanity
    •Power in each bunk
    •Digital Safe
    •Excess interior storage
    How Does It Work?

Renting a BandWagon™ RV is exactly like renting a car, except for the fact that the insurance is built into the cost of the rental. The only requirements are that every authorized driver (there is no limit to the number of drivers) must be at least 25 years of age and have a valid driver’s license from their country of origin.

What was the motivation behind the BandWagon™ RV’s design?

Most of our touring experience has been within the ‘club circuit’; playing venues with a capacity of 500 – 1,500. These venues provide an excellent opportunity for artists, but the conditions within the venue are not always the most hospitable. The riders are scant, the condition of the dressing room is usually less than ideal, and most of the time showers are not an option.

We wanted to design a vehicle that would cater to these artists, as well as offer an affordable crew bus option for those artists seeking to avoid the cost of an entertainer coach for the crew.

Who can drive the vehicle?

Anyone that is at least 25 years old and has a valid driver’s license from their country of origin can drive the BandWagon RV. That means that a member of the band or crew could share in the driving duties, or if you’d like to hire a driver that’s possible as well. With no DOT restrictions to consider, and with all controls being extremely intuitive.
    Last edited by late8; 04-22-2013 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^^^

sweet!!
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Ill second third or whatever number it is now for a Trailer. Key to backing up with a trailer is practice. go to an abandoned parking lot with a bunch of cones(or soda cans really anything works) and practice after a few trips you will wonder what you were worried about in the first place.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Rent a BandWagon. They are out of Indiana...

Cost Breakdown:

Rental Rate Schedule:

May 1 – October 31: $390 per day

November 1 – April 30: $375 per day

What that includes:

•BandWagon

•Trailer

•Satellite

•Unlimited Mileage

•Insurance

What is the BandWagon™RV?

The BandWagon™Rv is a vehicle designed to revolutionize mid-level touring. It has been designed for the specific purpose of entertainer touring, combining the comfort, amenities, layout, durability, and functionality of a tour bus with the ease of use of an RV. With a sleeping capacity of eight, plus an additional bunk for the driver, it provides a comfortable and affordable alternative to touring in a van, or touring in an entertainer coach under financial strain.

The most important feature of the BandWagon is that, through careful design considerations, it falls under 26,000 lb Gross Vehicle Weight, (GVW). This is very important because it means the BandWagon neither requires a CDL to drive, nor does it fall under the jurisdiction of the USDOT. This means that there are no fuel permits to buy, weigh stations to consider, hours-of-service restrictions, etc. that add cost and inconvenience to touring.

Each BandWagon RV comes standard with the following amenities:

•Microwave
    •Satellite
    •DVD Player
    •Surround Sound Stereo
    •Full-Sized Refrigerator (not bus sized)
    •8 bunks + 1 bunk in driver’s area
    •Full-sized shower & vanity
    •Power in each bunk
    •Digital Safe
    •Excess interior storage
    How Does It Work?

Renting a BandWagon™ RV is exactly like renting a car, except for the fact that the insurance is built into the cost of the rental. The only requirements are that every authorized driver (there is no limit to the number of drivers) must be at least 25 years of age and have a valid driver’s license from their country of origin.

What was the motivation behind the BandWagon™ RV’s design?

Most of our touring experience has been within the ‘club circuit’; playing venues with a capacity of 500 – 1,500. These venues provide an excellent opportunity for artists, but the conditions within the venue are not always the most hospitable. The riders are scant, the condition of the dressing room is usually less than ideal, and most of the time showers are not an option.

We wanted to design a vehicle that would cater to these artists, as well as offer an affordable crew bus option for those artists seeking to avoid the cost of an entertainer coach for the crew.

Who can drive the vehicle?

Anyone that is at least 25 years old and has a valid driver’s license from their country of origin can drive the BandWagon RV. That means that a member of the band or crew could share in the driving duties, or if you’d like to hire a driver that’s possible as well. With no DOT restrictions to consider, and with all controls being extremely intuitive.
    Far out, that's awesome! Wish we had that sort of thing in our neck of the woods.

Rich, if you don't mind, can I get you to send me some info on that? It'd be most handy to keep aside should my group ever get the chance to tour The States some time. I'd love to show that to the guys (and girl!) in my band and also our friend who's starting to manage us.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

That is cool. I wish we could afford to ride in that kind of style. Sounds like trailer is the best option, Ill check U-Haul for prices and look for used one on CL.

User Info Menu

monster drummer - If you have an idea of what you're looking to buy, send me a PM. I work for large auto auction up near Sacramento. I might be able to help you out with a couple ideas to buy something cheap.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

If its going to be your personal vehicle as well as a band vehicle, I'd say a Chevy Astro van and a trailer. The reason I'd go with the Astro over any other van, its big enough to hold everybody, small enough to get decent gas mileage, only full frame minivan for pulling a trailer and the GM 4.3L engine is bulletproof!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Far out, that's awesome! Wish we had that sort of thing in our neck of the woods.

Rich, if you don't mind, can I get you to send me some info on that? It'd be most handy to keep aside should my group ever get the chance to tour The States some time. I'd love to show that to the guys (and girl!) in my band and also our friend who's starting to manage us.
    Yes, will do...

Quote Originally Posted by monster drummer View Post
    That is cool. I wish we could afford to ride in that kind of style. Sounds like trailer is the best option, Ill check U-Haul for prices and look for used one on CL.
    Good luck bro!

User Info Menu

It really depends on how much gear you're hauling. Back when i first started playing out we bought a used R.V.. We took the beds out of the far rear and stored the gear there. That allowed the entire band and crew to ride comfortably with the equipment in one rig.

Once our show got bigger we sold the R.V. bought a minivan for band members and an 18' box truck for the equipment.

User Info Menu

Hey Monster, budget plays a role. Im sure if u could get a bandwagon u probably wouldnt have ask us for advice. And like N.Redneck said if its going to be yours or the the Bands a van might be a good option. Im a chevy guy and ive got to tell u the parts are cheap and common wich means u can buy used if u know where to look. Foreign car autoparts are a pain in the behind for the diy guy. You will always have to buy new parts and or get them from dealer wich puts u against the clock if u have to wait a couple days for the part to arrive.