Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DW Design Series

User Info Menu

Default DW Design Series

I havent seen this video show up on the forum but heres a teaser from DW's Design Series. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331s...e_gdata_player&hl=en&fs=1&">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331s...e_gdata_player&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Design Series

I like the fact that DW is making affordable drums to widen their market share. Unlike Pearl who seems to just shuffle their line-up around just to change names then re-naming them the same again, I'm digging this new line from DW.

User Info Menu

I'm with you, Rich. I dig what DW is doing right now. Their Collectors series was out of reach for a lot of folks. These and the Performance series are cool drums.

User Info Menu

You know if it's made by DW it's a quality kit. From their PDP line all the way up to the Collectors series.

User Info Menu

I like dw, but i don't get the point of these drums. there just like the performance series to me. are they supposed to be even cheaper than the performance series, or are they a different wood or something.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Wonder what the price point will be compared to their other 2 lines. Not including PDP.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

14/22/10/12/16 shell pack will retail for $1495($2495 MSRP) apparently. These are supposedly aimed at replacing the PDP Platinums. They will be assembled oversees and are mass produced.
    Last edited by mkennedy; 04-22-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

I like what I've seen so far. I have a set of PDP platinums that I think sound great, in fact as cool as the collectors series are I'd have a hard time justifying the cost to replace these platinums.

These are an 8 ply hard rock maple shell, platinums were a 7 ply. Probably very similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    They will be assembled oversees and are mass produced.
    Interesting how they're putting the DW name on it. I always associate DW drums with uber high-end, American made drums. Not to say that drums made in Taiwan can't be uber high-end, of course.
    Last edited by xweasel; 04-22-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Sound and look good, but series name is misleading. This might make a newbie to DW think they're getting to design their own kit, not getting a mass produced affordable line. I mean when I hear design I think "Great, finally i'm gonna get a chance to build a dw kit for less than with the collectors series." Was design really the right term to use here?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    14/22/10/12/16 shell pack will retail for $1495($2495 MSRP) apparently. These are supposedly aimed at replacing the PDP Platinums. They will be assembled oversees and are mass produced.
    They've been trying to replace the Platinums with the equivalent range in DW for some time. The Platinums really didn't fare well in the market. It's a shame in some ways because they were excellent drums but PDP does have a reputation as a 'budget' line and trying to charge as much as they did for Platinums with the 'PDP' marque wasn't ever going to work.

Sticking 'DW' on similar drums at a similar price is much more appealing to customers. Good drums, too.

User Info Menu

They are made in Taiwan with a limited number of shell sizes and colors, so that puts them at a semi-pro price range. Slightly more limited than PDP Concept in that you can't get a 20" or 24" bass drum, but a tad better than any "oval turret" PDP line since they at least offer an 18" floor tom.

The real improvement over PDP is that these come with the same mounting brackets and floor tom legs as the Performance Series and pre-2011 Collector's Series and the kicks are virgin, so you could add a sliding tom mount at your discretion. Other than the smaller lugs and the lack of custom construction, they are DW proper in every other respect. "Made in Taiwan" will probably put some people off, but I have no hangup about that. You can't have everything at that price.

Let's hope they sound as good in person.

User Info Menu

I think they (DW=Dead wood) should have done a cheaper kit yrs ago...over priced, over hyped,**** ! Kids buying PDP calling it DW makes me want to puke...sorry to be so harsh, but that company sucks! as do there drums

User Info Menu

Good ol studio magic..
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I think they (DW=Dead wood) should have done a cheaper kit yrs ago...over priced, over hyped,**** ! Kids buying PDP calling it DW makes me want to puke...sorry to be so harsh, but that company sucks! as do there drums
    lol
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

it is like Duncan Design pickups for guitars. Makes sense to me. Smart.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

wonder if we'll get them over here? set of DW's for a grand.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Tough crowd!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup is a Vegetable View Post
    They are made in Taiwan with a limited number of shell sizes and colors, so that puts them at a semi-pro price range. Slightly more limited than PDP Concept in that you can't get a 20" or 24" bass drum, but a tad better than any "oval turret" PDP line since they at least offer an 18" floor tom.

The real improvement over PDP is that these come with the same mounting brackets and floor tom legs as the Performance Series and pre-2011 Collector's Series and the kicks are virgin, so you could add a sliding tom mount at your discretion. Other than the smaller lugs and the lack of custom construction, they are DW proper in every other respect. "Made in Taiwan" will probably put some people off, but I have no hangup about that. You can't have everything at that price.

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying here but the PDP Concept Maple line does offer an 18" Floor tom. I just ordered one.

User Info Menu

LMFAO! You may hate the company but saying their drums suck is just crazy talk. It's ok if you can't afford them, neither can I, that's why I bought the PDP X7 Line MADE BY DW. I really like my PDP DW kit Made by DW Drum Workshop, they sound great an ooze quality and are so affordable it allows a guy like me who plays a monster sized kit to be able to play some of the best drums in the world because they are made by DW. Yeah PDP DW made by Drum Workshop drums are excellent as are all DW's drums. My PDP X7 kit by DW Drum Workshop is especially great because I have the larger DW Drums decal on the bottoms of my reso kick drum heads with the PDP logo at the top. You can puke now. lo-****ing-l

DW makes some of the best drums out there, if they didn't there would not be so many well known drummers playing their kits.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 04-23-2013 at 06:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I have a set of PDP platinums that I think sound great, in fact as cool as the collectors series are I'd have a hard time justifying the cost to replace these platinums.
    If you heard them side by side it would not be too difficult?
    I remember a few years ago going to a local drum shop here in Maine and they had the then new Performace series and I was very interested in them. I played them a little bit then had the saleman play them so I could hear from across the room. They sounded fantastic.

Then the very honest salesman comes up to me and says stay right there and I will play the collectors series which was sitting right next to the perf. Well it was like night and day to say the least and there is no way I could have plopped down $2300 on the perf. series after listening to that difference.

Right there I decided I was going to get a collectors series or just keep what I have and since I do not have the money to spend on new Collectors that dream is just gonna have to wait a very long time : )

I think if he did not do that I honestly probably would have bought the performance series.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

DW makes some of the best drums out there, if they didn't there would not be so many well known drummers playing their kits.
    All great name drummers, regardless of endorsement, secretly have Gretsch sets that they play in their basements!!

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 04-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.

User Info Menu

All companies do it now. It's all part of marketing to a broad diverse music world.

Truthfully, I kinda pine for the days when a Ludwig set was a Ludwig set. And Gretsch, and Slingerland etc... There was no deciphering needed by the customer as to how or where it was made.

And this is the price. Can't afford it? Fine. Buy something else!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: DW Design Series

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup is a Vegetable View Post

Nothing wrong with made in Taiwan my Pearls are made there and they are high quality material and workmanship. Now if they were made in China then I would worry about it LOL

I thought DW where made in the U.S.A going by the way my American friends worship them.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-23-2013 at 08:26 AM.

User Info Menu

taiwan seems to make some great stuff, heck they've been at it for years.

also, though its a rather more superficial concern i really dig the low profile lug on these! they sound great in the vid!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today