Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DW Design Series

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Design Series

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Oh? Is there enough of the horizontal plies present to cause a noticeable pitch raise?
    One horizontal ply will raise the pitch of the shell. Adding an extra ply at all inherently raises the pitch of the drum overall - thicker = higher pitch/louder volume. A horizontal ply, due to the tension on the wood grain will also cause the pitch change from adding this ply to be more drastic.

To the question of whether it's noticeable? Probably not as much as you would think under normal "drum" conditions. That is, when head meets bearing edge, you're not going to be able to tell much when you play an HVLT V.S. a standard VLT drum with no reinforcement rings. The difference in pitch will be noticeable, however, if you take all of the hardware off of the shell and check the pitch of the shell alone. An HVLT will likely be anywhere from 1 semitone to 1.5 notes higher in pitch (variance can be due to other factors, grain tightness, the other plies in the drum, slight variances in shell or ply diameters, etc) than your standard VLT without any reinforcement rings. Now, if you're comparing an HVLT to a VLT with reinforcement rings, you'll probably find that the VLT with reinforcement rings will be right around the same pitch as an HVLT (reinforcement rings for VLT will be 3 ply I believe, at least one of these will be a vertical ply, usually the inner most ply of the ring).

So, to summarize my answer to your question, Since almost every VLT shell you see has reinforcement rings, you will probably not see much of a pitch difference in a standard VLT V.S. an HVLT.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

BackStreetDrums Guest

I am in the process of ordering pdp Maple Concept series. Would love to go higher end, but the price point is the deciding factor.

For a home studio based kit, and with the DW name behind it, I am hoping for a decent (for the money) quality set. The option of add-ons is another plus, as well as 7-ply toms/kick and 10-ply snare, DW hardware and mag-throw. For what you get at less than $700, how could one go wrong (??)

User Info Menu

It's not DW though, I thought PDP considers themself a seperate company? Personally i'd probably wait for these Designs to hit the shelves everywhere so you can go test them against the Concepts. Then again though if that's all you plan on spending for shells..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Where does everyone get the info from? How do you know they will be made in Taiwan? There is minimal info on DW website? When are they supposed to be released? will they offer birch?

My guess would be they are exactly like Pdp Concepts with probably the biggest difference being the lugs.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Where does everyone get the info from? How do you know they will be made in Taiwan? There is minimal info on DW website? When are they supposed to be released? will they offer birch?

My guess would be they are exactly like Pdp Concepts with probably the biggest difference being the lugs.
    The series was introduced at NAMM. There are YT videos from that event showcasing the drums, explaining shell tech., build location etc. Also, I posted a pic of the Design Series before any info was widely circulated. Late8 contacted DW, got the skinny and shared the info with DC. The series is very different from the Concept Series. Shell thickness for one and the Design Series plays around with grain orientation like the DWPS & DWCS.
    Last edited by areFish; 04-26-2013 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

The design series does look quite cool, probably something I could have considered if I would be looking for a new kit. Also as it has been talked about, aren't the concept kits manufactured in China nowadays?
    PDP Concept Maple CM7 Cherry Lacquer
    Evans Black Chrome
    Evans G1
    Evans Hazy 300
    Evans EQ3
    Aquarian High Velocity

Stagg DH 14" Crash
    Stagg SH 8" Splash

Saluda 13" Mist Hybrid Medium, Wavy Hats (hammering on top hat)
    Saluda 21" Glory Medium-heavy dark, dry ride, raw bell, extra hammering
    Saluda 18" Diamond HH Crash
    Saluda 18" Voodoo M Loco China
    Saluda 10/12 Maxxstyle stack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    I am in the process of ordering pdp Maple Concept series. Would love to go higher end, but the price point is the deciding factor.

For a home studio based kit, and with the DW name behind it, I am hoping for a decent (for the money) quality set. The option of add-ons is another plus, as well as 7-ply toms/kick and 10-ply snare, DW hardware and mag-throw. For what you get at less than $700, how could one go wrong (??)
    You will love the Concept kit. They sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WEe View Post
    ... aren't the concept kits manufactured in China nowadays?
    Pretty sure all of DW's overseas manufacturing is done in Taiwan. There was a third facility in Mexico, but I don't think it was cost effective for them to keep it going, and it went away right after the Performance series came out.

Another point of order (because it always seems to come up at the mention of PDP); the relationship between PDP and DW is no different than if Pearl had produced the Exports and Forums under a different brand called "Sumida" or something like that. They can claim it keeps PDP from cheapening DW's good name, but they're fooling anyone. The Design Series might spell the end of this goofy arrangement if it does well, and then we can have DW-branded "Pacific Series" drums.

That's what I'd do if I was running things, anyway.

User Info Menu

I too was wondering how you guys know pricing.

On another note, am I the only one who noticed that was nice playing by whomever was in that video?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    If you heard them side by side it would not be too difficult?
    I remember a few years ago going to a local drum shop here in Maine and they had the then new Performace series and I was very interested in them. I played them a little bit then had the saleman play them so I could hear from across the room. They sounded fantastic.

Then the very honest salesman comes up to me and says stay right there and I will play the collectors series which was sitting right next to the perf. Well it was like night and day to say the least and there is no way I could have plopped down $2300 on the perf. series after listening to that difference.

Right there I decided I was going to get a collectors series or just keep what I have and since I do not have the money to spend on new Collectors that dream is just gonna have to wait a very long time : )

I think if he did not do that I honestly probably would have bought the performance series.
    Thanks I have never heard a DW but I want one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I too was wondering how you guys know pricing.

On another note, am I the only one who noticed that was nice playing by whomever was in that video?
    Ya, awesome playing. Internet rumors say it's August Burns Red's Matt Greiner, who is a new DW artist. But who knows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Ya, awesome playing. Internet rumors say it's August Burns Red's Matt Greiner, who is a new DW artist. But who knows.
    It's not. The drummer on that vid is Gil Sharone. 3 reasons you can tell -
    1. Sharone was already featured in a spot for dw when he joined as an endorser - a lot of his licks are similar.
    2. Tattoo visible on the drummer's right arm matches Sharone's (though it's a bit harder to see this one).
    3. Perhaps most importantly, Sharone's "thing" is that there is always a drum key sitting on the lug at the 10 o'clock position of his snare drum (10 o'clock from the drivers seat). Again, you can see this in spots and other vids.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    It's not. The drummer on that vid is Gil Sharone. 3 reasons you can tell -
    1. Sharone was already featured in a spot for dw when he joined as an endorser - a lot of his licks are similar.
    2. Tattoo visible on the drummer's right arm matches Sharone's (though it's a bit harder to see this one).
    3. Perhaps most importantly, Sharone's "thing" is that there is always a drum key sitting on the lug at the 10 o'clock position of his snare drum (10 o'clock from the drivers seat). Again, you can see this in spots and other vids.
    Interesting. Good eye.

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the relationship between DW and PDP similar to the relationship betwwen Gibson and Epiphone?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Interesting. Good eye.
    Yea, no doubt. He nailed it.

User Info Menu

If these are made in Taiwan then they are over priced, just like ever other line of DW drums.

User Info Menu

I just got why they named them looking a this thread they arnt cheap custom drums like mydenity but they are for people want to say they have a dw but can't afford it they have the design minus mini lugs but not the cost. And this is just dw trying to get more money because people associate pdp with lower to high intermediate kits. At this point they migh as well get rid of pdp
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I see this more as an example that DW is trying to put decent drums in more hands with their name on them. Most other drum makers do this without getting a lot of flak for it.

I know there is much made of DW's prestige and exclusivity, but perhaps they are evolving and are simply not that company anymore. I'm OK with that too. They should be trading on their ability to make good drums...not status symbols.

As for the Taiwan thing, quality is a matter of the people making something and the standards set by the company, not so much about location.

User Info Menu

I'm personally not a fan of this I think it cheapens the brand but hey more power to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    14/22/10/12/16 shell pack will retail for $1495($2495 MSRP) apparently. These are supposedly aimed at replacing the PDP Platinums. They will be assembled oversees and are mass produced.
    They just couldn't help themselves from going this route, huh ?
    I guess I can't blame them............I've seen some very nice shells coming out of China.

DW makes some great stuff (Collectors).............and they really had to if they were going to compete with Ludwig & Gretsch.

Their marketing is agressive and impressive.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Has anyone given the Designs a thorough try out yet? Seen them in a couple of videos obviously but most of them time the audio is heavily processed. Would love to hear some opinions if anyone has had the opportunity to try them.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash