Thread: New Drummer Need Help!!

User Info Menu

Default New Drummer Need Help!!

I am wanting to start playing the drums, but need some help deciding what to start with. I have been looking around for some used drums and have found a few. One that I really like is a 4 piece Pearl Export. Any comments on whether I should go for this set or a 5 piece set would be appreciated!

Also, any suggestions on what kind of starting cymbals to get would help!

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drummer Need Help!!

Either size is fine to start with. Paiste PST5, Sabian XS20, or Zildjian ZHT are good starting cymbals. Sure you could up the quality in them, but if you're just beginning and trying to figure out if this is gonna be your passion, I wouldn't spend too much money at first. Good call looking used though, you're bound to find some great deals if you keep an eye out. Pearl export is a decent starter kit, as are others. If you see some others you like also, mention them here(just don't link to the page they're being sold at) and i'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful advice to get you a feel for what you need.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Going used is the smart way of doing it when your first starting out I think. Because of cost. If it doesn't work out for you, it won't hurt so bad. But there is the other side of the coin as well. If you go frugal and it turns out that you love it and are progressing nicely. After a period of time your going to want to upgrade at least your starter cymbals. Pretty much all of us went through this process. So you might want to think about going for an intermediate used kit starting off. A better kit that will last for quite a while through your progression. Pearl Exports are good considering their starter kits, but you might be wanting better sooner than you think. And they would be harder to sell of if it doesn't work or you want to upgrade. Were an intermediate kit would be a bit easier to flip. Lots of decisions to make before you buy even the first item, eh? I guess the biggest decision starting off is are you going to make the commitment to stick with it through the frustrating phases? Your going to get a lot of ideas on this subject. Welcome to DrumChat. Have fun with it. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

deffo go used, you can make your money back when you sell to upgrade to something better.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    deffo go used, you can make your money back when you sell to upgrade to something better.
    +1

Make sure that you make a list of all the things that you will need - bass drum pedal, throne, snare stand, hi-hat stand, cymbal stands, and cymbals (at least hi-hats, ride, and 1 crash, and I would go used here, too, because there are plenty of good, used cymbals out there) Once you know the whole cost, then get the best kit that you can afford. The Pearl Export is a solid kit to begin on, but there may also be other good kits as well. Make sure you do your homework and you'll get a very nice 1st kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pearl Exports very popular form 1982-2006 when they were replaced with the Visions. As for cymbals that is all up to you and how much you can afford. Personally I went for Zildjian A's ( Avedis) when I started back in the 70's and still use them today. They are a good investment and very versatile for all genre of music. Anyway good luck and welcome to DC..
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    +1

Make sure that you make a list of all the things that you will need - bass drum pedal, throne, snare stand, hi-hat stand, cymbal stands, and cymbals (at least hi-hats, ride, and 1 crash, and I would go used here, too, because there are plenty of good, used cymbals out there) Once you know the whole cost, then get the best kit that you can afford. The Pearl Export is a solid kit to begin on, but there may also be other good kits as well. Make sure you do your homework and you'll get a very nice 1st kit.
    +1...........Welcome Hockey Freak

User Info Menu

+1

+2 on that. Definitely by used gear to start out.

Welcome to DC! (you wouldn't by chance like hockey, would you?)
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Where you from HockeyFreak?

User Info Menu

+1

Thank you for all the help. I am still looking around and finding out things, but have a few more questions.

With the cymbals do I need to get both top and bottom parts of the Hi-hats?
    Is Zildjian a good cymbal maker?
    Would it be wiser to buy each individual cymbal or buy a set of cymbals?
    How many cymbal stands would I need to get?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to learn as much as I can before I go buy stuff. And thanks again for the help!

User Info Menu

1. Yes, you will need both cymbals that make up your hi-hats.
    2. Yes, Zildjian is a good cymbal maker, but so are Sabian, Paiste, Meinl, Saluda . . . well, I think you get the idea. When getting cymbals, you should let your ears tell you what is right for you. All big cymbal makers have a number of lines. You have to decide what is best for you. Check the websites, and listen to the sound files to start the search.
    3. As to whether it's best to find individual cymbals, or a set, opinions will vary on that one. Some feel that the manufacturers will sonically match cymbals in the set. On the other hand, I prefer to hand pick each of my cymbals.
    4. The cymbal stands you need depend on how many cymbals you want. You will need at least 2: Ride, and Crash + the stand for the Hi-hat cymbals.

Hope that helps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat HockeyFreak. Here's somethings you might want to consider. You can start out with only one rack tom if you prefer a smaller set up but this is usually the anatomy of a 5pc.drum kit:

User Info Menu

You guys missed one of the most important pieces of gear.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Ear plugs? Use at your discretion..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    You guys missed one of the most important pieces of gear.
    a comfy seat?

I'd say go used, Pearl exports are some of the best beginner kits you can get, some people use them forever.

As others said going used is a great idea, a used pearl export kit will always be worth the same unless you damage it. so you will not be risking any money because you can always sell for what you paid.

What kind of price is the 4 piece kit? and what comes with it?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Ear plugs? Use at your discretion..
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    a comfy seat?
    Nope.

What are ya supposed to hit 'em with?
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Get an Instructor and take lessons!!

Nothing wrong with pearl exports, the best drummer I know locally here plays one live 70% of the time and with proper tuning and playing they sound incredible.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    a comfy seat?

I'd say go used, Pearl exports are some of the best beginner kits you can get, some people use them forever.

As others said going used is a great idea, a used pearl export kit will always be worth the same unless you damage it. so you will not be risking any money because you can always sell for what you paid.

What kind of price is the 4 piece kit? and what comes with it?
    The 4 piece kit comes with 3 toms and it costs $200. I am thinking of finding a set around the same price with a snare included.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Get an Instructor and take lessons!!
    +1 on that one, even if it's only a few lessons to start you off.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Hey HockeyFreak,

My .02, if I had it all to do over again I wouldn't even start out with a drumset. I would get some 5a sticks, a practice pad and pick up a couple of good books, watch online videos and work on my hands and rudiments. While you are studying and watching lessons you are going to get quite an education on all the different equipment. You get your hands and feet working, use your feet to keep time. Get a free downloadable metronome on your computer or phone. You will be amazed of how much farther you will be when you get on the drums 90 to 120 days later. My wife was very ill last year and we spent 2 months in Germany for treatment and all I could bring was a pair of sticks and I used my leg and a pillow for pads and watched some snare drum videos and worked rudiments and when I got back on the kit I was amazed how it elevated my playing. I even took a drum lesson there the guy was great and I got to try out a Tama and DW set. So even lessons will expose you to equipment. I guarantee you as you learn your ideas on equipment are going to change too.

All the best.

Joe
    Joe

User Info Menu

I agree with Gatlin. Pretty good idea, actually. Some 5a's, a pad, I'd go with the "bible" stick control book and every YouTube instructional video I could find. Rock that for awhile and then grab a couple lessons with an instructor who has a kit you can play and can explain all the gear. All the while search around for kits/cymbals/hardwear and make an informed purchase... my advice is to go used at first.
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I agree with Gatlin. Pretty good idea, actually. Some 5a's, a pad, I'd go with the "bible" stick control book and every YouTube instructional video I could find. Rock that for awhile and then grab a couple lessons with an instructor who has a kit you can play and can explain all the gear. All the while search around for kits/cymbals/hardwear and make an informed purchase... my advice is to go used at first.

So true. The drums are a very distinct instrument, in that you don't even have to have them to practice or learn.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Well hockeyfreak you have read all of the responses. Now it is up to you to decide if you should go for a kit or take the advice of a practice pad. Good luck on whatever you decide so let us know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markadiddle View Post
    nope.

Nope.

What are ya supposed to hit 'em with?
    vicfirths

User Info Menu

I agree going used is the way to go but also i would start with a pad (lot cheaper) practice form rudiments and other things then if you are addicted go and get a nice used set. Cymbals I would go with Sabian, vic firth, and good quality hardware you will get your money back. I would say invest in lessons before you develop bad habbits. Most teachers will spot form issues easily. Its hard to break these.