Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PDP Concept Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Concept Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    Kind of a pain if the spring mechanism gives you issues i bet.
    Yeah, there were some problems with the foot board losing its tensions. I think it had to do with people burying the beater all the time.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I bought this pedal and love it. I think people over think pedals and adjustments. I personally have been playing the drums over 30 years. I have played direct drive, Ludwig Speed Kings, Tama, Iron Cobra's and every DW pedal made, as well as Pear Eliminators. What I find is, I can play most of them right out of the box, even junky stock ones with rods and not a heavy plate. In my opinion, there is not a pedal made that can make a weak foot better. It takes learning your craft. You should be able to play "you" no matter the pedal you use! That being said. While I was waiting for Guitar Center to get a demo model in (3 Months) I stopped by every day and played Demonators, Gibralters, Jo Jo Mayers, Tama, Mapex Falcons...all of them just to make sure, and they all ranged from $$189 to $479 for a single pedal, and I would spend it. They finally got in the concept pedal, and after 30 seconds I was at the register. No matter what you play, no matter your budget, and whether you are a traditionalist, technical, progressive, rock, funk or hobbiest, this pedal is amazing. It feels like a Speed King, with modern flare! I would put it up against any pedal. Again in my opinion, people can say this pedal lacks adjustment potential, but I say, really, how much adjustment do you really need. Your ability makes a pedal play well, a pedal cannot make you play well! Focus on your craft! Any pedal will do, even the ones that squeak! Happy drumming to all my brothers in hands!

Joey
    Joey Lee Primak
    Proverbs 30:30
    Psalms 127:3

Gretsch Drums
    DW Hardware & Pedals
    Sabian Cymbals
    Meinl Percussion
    Rythm Tech Percussion
    Vic Firth; Buddy Rich Signature Model, Extreme 5AN

Love & Respect
    R.I.P John Bonham My#1 Influence
    R.I.P Buddy Rich My#2 Influence
    R.I.P Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, I found you wat too late
    but you were an amazing talent, gone way too soon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyFunkyFoot View Post
    I bought this pedal and love it. I think people over think pedals and adjustments. I personally have been playing the drums over 30 years. I have played direct drive, Ludwig Speed Kings, Tama, Iron Cobra's and every DW pedal made, as well as Pear Eliminators. What I find is, I can play most of them right out of the box, even junky stock ones with rods and not a heavy plate. In my opinion, there is not a pedal made that can make a weak foot better. It takes learning your craft. You should be able to play "you" no matter the pedal you use! That being said. While I was waiting for Guitar Center to get a demo model in (3 Months) I stopped by every day and played Demonators, Gibralters, Jo Jo Mayers, Tama, Mapex Falcons...all of them just to make sure, and they all ranged from $$189 to $479 for a single pedal, and I would spend it. They finally got in the concept pedal, and after 30 seconds I was at the register. No matter what you play, no matter your budget, and whether you are a traditionalist, technical, progressive, rock, funk or hobbiest, this pedal is amazing. It feels like a Speed King, with modern flare! I would put it up against any pedal. Again in my opinion, people can say this pedal lacks adjustment potential, but I say, really, how much adjustment do you really need. Your ability makes a pedal play well, a pedal cannot make you play well! Focus on your craft! Any pedal will do, even the ones that squeak! Happy drumming to all my brothers in hands!

Joey
    I definitetly see your point. At one point I bought a DW9000 pedal with all the "infinite" adjustments and I hated it . It was too much and it felt too loose, or too fluid. I now play a DW8000 which is a mix between the DW9000 and a DW5000. I find it to be amazing, but I can jump on just about any pedal and play like me. I rarely get on a kit with a pedal that takes my foot out of the equation. My friend plays an old Pearl single chain P100 and it works fine, another friend plays an old Mapex yellow board pedal, and I play it just fine. I can use an old Yamaha pedal with not plate and I can play just fine. It's all in the skill and technique. I know some terrible drummers with terribly slow feet, who still suck on Axis longboards, and they are always searching for a faster pedal! lol
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

i agree that without the skillz it doesnt matter what pedal you use....

with that said, and with feeding my G.A.S. i had to have one of these, mostly because i was so intrigued with what you'd get for $89, that i had to order it.

I think for those who play the heel / toe method would love the freedom a plain flat long board type pedal like this brings to the table. I've always aspired to play that way (still trying to teach this ol' dog new tricks) the Joe Stronsick the ballistic drummer's heel/toe way(that is).

it's a DW Product for $89.....either way, it'll be The Buy of the decade or a real P.O.S., Either way I cant wait to find out

well, after GC.com backordered it twice, and now just arbitrarily cancelled the order , I am trying again now with MF.com, so once i get it, if I get it, i will post something (hopefully a good review)

Tim

User Info Menu

I just brought these pedals home yesterday. I'll make a new thread about them soon.

First thoughts:

Kind of light-weight, especially compared to the beefy DW 7000's I was playing before. They feel more wobbly, less substantial.

The connecting rod came slightly bent. Still deciding if it's a big enough deal to demand a new one before my 30 day return period.

The rubber bottom is a NO GO. These pedals slippity slide ALL OVER THE PLACE while you're playing. I play in a metal band and use a lot of heavy-hitting poly-rhythmic double bass licks which put a lot of weird directional force on the pedals. It was almost impossible to play through a single song without having to readjust the pedals with my feet while playing. I ended up having to go to Lowe's and purchase some industrial grade velcro strips and a cheap carpet with closed-loop fibers. I peeled off the rubber bottom and slapped on some velcro strips. The velcro works almost TOO WELL with the cheap carpet and makes re-positioning them impossible. But hey, they don't slide anymore!

Beaters are fine.

There is a strange latency/wobble in the slave pedal that I'm concerned about.

Once you can get these pedals to stay in place, they play very well. The light weight makes them bounce around more than DW pedals, which is a big problem unless you can secure them.

The main beater hits right in the middle of the head and the slave beater hits to the left (for a righty pedal). This bothers me. I want both beaters to hit slightly off-center so I get the same timbre out of each. I had to remove the clip and set the pedal far to the right to get the beaters to hit in symmetrical locations.

The final verdict: good value for the price. not professional grade. DW has some kinks to work out. NEEDS VELCRO.

User Info Menu

drumnetics magnetically driven(no springs) direct drive/pedal of the future /its here now!/ I think they run around $300 bucks.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 05-29-2014 at 04:03 AM.