Thread: Check it out, got a 1960's Roger's Powertone Snare!

User Info Menu

Default Check it out, got a 1960's Roger's Powertone Snare!

Yesterday I picked this up for AU$375. I just did a video quickly before I had to head off to go do some home tuition. This now makes 12 snare drums that I own...... and I came that close to also scoring a vintage Camco Chrome Over Brass 14x5.5" snare drum this week....that's another story though! Check this video out!

Cheers, Drumble.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Check it out, got a 1960's Roger's Powertone Snare!

I know this girl that has an extensive pencil sharpener collection. I bring this up because it appears your snares also constitute that of a "collection"...and wondering if at some point, like any hobby, you see an end in sight. I have a number of record albums. I wouldn't consider it a collection or myself a collector but still pick some up from time to time. O.K., truthfully I have more than 5000 which may sound like a lot (or few- to some ) so... and as I'm putting away my latest finds I've been asking myself lately- "why" ?? Your fascination with snare drums, I find intriguing and ask the same question "why”?? My record albums are sometimes had for as little as three for a dollar. Quite a bit less than that spent for a snare. But my point isn't really about collecting anything or how much that collection costs (or what it may be worth now or in the future) sometime, there will have to be a stoppage influenced by a realization that only the collector will respond to. I'm assuming your snares ARE part of a collection and not so much useful ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

collection or no collection.....VINTAGE ROGERS!!! WOOOOOW..COOL.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Well really, they're both functional as well as collected as I have an interest in them. I like how I can combine two things.....my love (and career) of drumming as well as history into the one thing.

Apart from playing the kit I also play percussion, as a lot of you would be familiar. And as I'm serious about percussion as well as the drumkit, I've also collected a bunch of items, which I've either gone for lessons to learn a bit of technique, or I've more or less "learned on the job", due to people knowing I'm a percussionist as well as a kit player. But whatever the case is, anything I get gives me yet another sound that I can certainly use, or from time to time I have friends and others who ask if they can borrow or hire a particular drum, cymbal or percussion item, knowing that I own and maintain a bunch of things.

For my younger and beginner students, it's good for them to see up close, hold and even play some gear that they wouldn't have a chance to see if they went elsewhere for lessons....sometimes after I do a lesson and if I have a few spare minutes or more, I'll discuss a bit about some drum and percussion history or general 'shop talk'.....they'd never get that sort of thing going for half hour lessons at a drum shop. I even pull out back issues of drum magazines, old and new drum catalogues, books such as Hugo Pinksterboer's "The Cymbal Book"....anything that gets them interested and fired up about the unique history and development of our instrument. They'd never get that sort of thing in a music classroom, that's for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    collection or no collection.....VINTAGE ROGERS!!! WOOOOOW..COOL.
    Cheers man. You've got some cool Rogers gear there too. Got any more pics to share? Your's is a white kit, right? There's one like that going for sale in Sydney, I told a drummer mate of mine to go check them out some time, which he will.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new score Drumbledore, and making it an addition to 11 other snares is cool.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congrats m8 on your new addition to your collection. I have only one Vintage 70's snare (Slingerland ) which is my favorite and I use everyday. Love the stick saver hoops, throw off and internal muffler. Great all round snare lots of snap and pop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Cheers man. You've got some cool Rogers gear there too. Got any more pics to share? Your's is a white kit, right? There's one like that going for sale in Sydney, I told a drummer mate of mine to go check them out some time, which he will.
    Yes white kit..my first set way way back in 1971 was a champagne sparkle almost identical set up only I had double BD's. I almost bought a vintage Rogers timbalesl but auction cost went to high for my pocket book at the time...wish i could of added that..maybe another will cross my path in the future who knows.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

^Man! Rogers timbales! What a rarity those are.

Hey Marty, I also notice with your set that you're using your 14" rack tom as a floor tom too. I love the sound of mine in that position.

What I reckon I should do when time and budget allow is to get some pics of my black Rogers drums and put white coated heads on the bottom of them with black heads on top....as a complete negative image of your set of white Rogers drums with black drumheads on the bottom with white heads on top, that'll be a right lark, lol.

Cheers, and take care my fellow Rogers drum fan!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-28-2013 at 02:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Congrats on the new score Drumbledore, and making it an addition to 11 other snares is cool.
    Thanks PB!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Congrats m8 on your new addition to your collection. I have only one Vintage 70's snare (Slingerland ) which is my favorite and I use everyday. Love the stick saver hoops, throw off and internal muffler. Great all round snare lots of snap and pop.
    Thanks Gilles! Gotta say that getting a vintage Slingerland snare would certainly be something worth considering, they're a lovely sounding snare too. Damn....now you got me thinking, lol.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the vintage snare score Mike! Diggin' the little 8x6" snare too. That little snare would be cool for say....a suitcase drum kit too.

User Info Menu

I'm normally not a huge fan of metallic snares, but that really surprised me. What a great sound it has! Very nice DD.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

very nice , i played one of those all through the 70s and into the 80s.. great drum.. nice catch.....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

nice!!

User Info Menu

Super jealous. I love Powertones. I know where the matching snare (and I do mean the matching snare, as in the exact one that came with my kit) is. I still dream of buying that Powertone, but it'll probably cost me a pretty penny. Blue Onyx Powertones aren't too common. The only reason I didn't pick it up is because the guy I bought the set from is a vintage hoarder and said I was the only person he'd sell it to, hahaha. It either stays with him or stays with the kit, he said.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

IANAT, if you're ever over here in good ol' Sydney, I'll have to hook you up with Steele Turkington, who operates Kentville Drums, whom I bought this from. He does restorations and repairs of vintage drum gear, he started only a few years back and now he's as busy as anyone who's good in his trade can get. When I was there, he had on his 'to-do' shelf a 1970's Premier kit, some 60's Ludwig snares (I didn't spot a Black Beauty though), an Italian Le Soprano snare, an early 1970's Pearl kit, and, check this out, a John Grey Autocrat snare drum! I've only seen pics and read a bit about them on vintage drum forums or in back issues of drum magazines, so you can imagine the thrill I had to actually see one for the first time here in Sydney! I felt like a kid again, truly!

Another great 'gem' from that visit was that Steele gave me the contact of a guy who has been doing a lot of off-line research into the Drouyn Drum Company that closed up in Brisbane around the late 80's, as there's not a lot of information about them....that is, until the Facebook page started happening last year. Steele also gave me the thumbs up when I shown him my lil' Drouyn acquisition from last year....said that it was in pretty darn good nick and that I scored a great bargain for around AU$250.

User Info Menu

Very nice, great sound.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Nice drum!