Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would you....

same time posts Russ..seems we'er on the same page except for the color...opinions, you know what they say.

User Info Menu

Actually man funny you mention the price points, because i've seen a great price on a set of blue glass Collectors not too long ago. Can't say where but they were asking $2000 for a set of 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms, kick, plus a matching snare. Ironically, if you were to buy that same kit new you'd be looking at 4200 and that's without a snare included! What I like to do is use shopper sites to find the best deal on stuff for me across the web, that way I don't overpay. Might get more for your money that way, just thinkin.

In regards to the finish though, didn't he say he was going to re-do it with another veneer? Waterfall Bubinga? That would certainly look ravishing. The only problem is planning whether it will go with the black hardware, some finishes are built to bring it out and some flat out clash. Purple and gold for example.
    Last edited by Russ; 04-27-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

not a fan of black harware...I had cherry something...wish I could remember the color name...pretty color, drums sound horrible to me...I got rid of those for basically nothing...8,10,12,14,22 and dont remember the snare...you dont want to know what I got rid of them for..was just glad to get them out of the way

User Info Menu

What was wrong with them? Did they have any flaws or bad hardware? Was it cherry stain? Which types of shells were they?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    Im a dw/pdp guy, but tama are really good kits as well. of course I personally like maple better than birch, but the fact that its a dw four piece is a deal breaker. Ultimately its up to you. but i'd keep the tamas.
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I agree..bogus finish. Regardless of my opinion of DW..you'ld be trading practicaly 2:1..7 for 4? close enough to 2:1...you think that kits twice as good as your current kit?...

If DW maples are what you want...sell your kit and go shopping. Plenty of the DW collectors out there for cheap/reasonable. Look around and see what your kit is going for and compare...foolish move to me
    Finish choice is personal preference. I personally hate it, but he likes it I guess.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Hey guys! I've decided to keep my Tamas! I have already ordered my waterfall bubinga veneer to refinish these, and will have a satin finish, should be stunning when I'm done, can't wait to post some pics for you guys! Anyway guys thank you so much for all your advice, opinions, and suggestions! Truly kept me from making a terrible mistake
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Hey guys! I've decided to keep my Tamas! I have already ordered my waterfall bubinga veneer to refinish these, and will have a satin finish, should be stunning when I'm done, can't wait to post some pics for you guys! Anyway guys thank you so much for all your advice, opinions, and suggestions! Truly kept me from making a terrible mistake
    I don't think it was a terrible decision unless you don't like DW. But not trading wasn't a bad decision either lol.

User Info Menu

^ echoed. Really looking forward to your veneer project. I think you'll have the only kit quite like it. You're turning into quite the accomplished drummaker, proud of you and how far you've come. It's an inspiration.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Good choice, IMO.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    ^ echoed. Really looking forward to your veneer project. I think you'll have the only kit quite like it. You're turning into quite the accomplished drummaker, proud of you and how far you've come. It's an inspiration.
    Thanks Russ! I really enjoy doing it! It's almost like a drug! Thanks man means a lot

User Info Menu

BTW here my signature 13x7 snare I just built. Rock maple with African mahogany inlays solid stave shell 3/8" thick. Bullet tube lugs(slightly different from reg tube lugs), Dunnett R40 throw and butt, rock maple wood hoops and pure sound wires

User Info Menu

Very nice! Big fan of wood hoops and tubes. Expensive as heck but really helps preserve the natural wooden tone. Mine sounds a lot fatter with them on.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've been wanting to do wood hoops for awhile....might be time to just pull the trigger. I'll shoot myself if i dont care for them after the cost

User Info Menu

I'd pass on it, if it were me.

User Info Menu

I think you should have done it but thats now a moot point. Is changing the veneer going to change the sound so it's closer to Maple?

Is that guy selling the DW's? What was his reason for wanting B/B's?

BTW gorgeous snare,, did you make the shells yourself too or order it and add hardware?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

My initial thought was "not in a million years". But after seeing that DW finish...maybe. Depends. I look at it like this...would I trade "my" 6 piece all birch Starclassic for "that" DW kit. I bet I would.

I'm a Tama guy for sure but I love DW drums too. Those blue and blacks are SEXY.

User Info Menu

Changed my mind. GONE! I'd be on that DW set right now. But your Starclassics are newer than mine.

User Info Menu

If I was set on maple at all trade them for a Starclassic maples because of the awesome deep sound with just the right amount of sustain. Often times you'll find better prices on them than Collectors, and the mounts are unintrusive and strong. All very attractive qualities to me. It just would come down to am I getting more for my money?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Changed my mind. GONE! I'd be on that DW set right now. But your Starclassics are newer than mine.
    same here, only thing that killed the deal for me was that it wasn't at least a five piece. I can play on a four, but its much more convenient for my style to have no less than five.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    same here, only thing that killed the deal for me was that it wasn't at least a five piece. I can play on a four, but its much more convenient for my style to have no less than five.
    I roll on the 4 so that doesn't bother me at all. I really dig that color.