Thread: Simon Phillips

User Info Menu

Default Simon Phillips

Drummer: Simon Phillips
    Main Style: Various
    Main Band: Toto, RMS, Protocol, Hiromi Trio Project, PSP
    Brief Summary: Simon Phillips was born in England on February 6 1957, Simon started drumming at the tender age of 3, turning professional at 12, playing in his father band, the Sid Phillips Orchestra, when his father died he went into the world of session drumming, playing with hundred of leading artists and band which includes, The Who, Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger, 801, Jack Bruce, Mike Oldfield, Michael Shenker, Whitesnake, Jon Lord, The Pretenders, Gary Moore, Nik Kershaw, Tears For Fears, Joe Satriani, Big Country, Asia, Russ Ballard, John Wetton, Ian Gillan, Bernie Marsden and many, many more.

When the great Jeff Porcaro passed away, Phillips was contacted by Steve Lukather offering the drummer seat to Simon, Toto never auditonned any other drummer to replace the greatly missed Jeff.

Simon has also a solo carreer of his own alongside his main bands and session work, he's also an active producer and studio engineer, and he own his own studio in LA.

Other Facts: Originally from High Barnet, London, England. He now lives in LA California.

A recent live performance with the Hiromi Trio Project

Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Default Re: Simon Phillips

Ok folks, you probably guessed, I like Mr Phillips a lot

I've been following his career for the past 35 years or so, I've seen him live on quite a few occasions and I even met him in 1993, he's a very kind gentleman, we chatted before his performance, it was a real pleasure meeting him.

Here's a couple of clip where he plays for Lee Ritenour and Mike Stern, the beauty of these clip is that's a drum camera only, you can follow his playing throughout the songs, which is quite cool and somehow more musical than a drum clinic clip

Enjoy, I did
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Jeff Beck - Space Boogie

featuring: Simon Phillips

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-26-2020 at 09:26 PM.

User Info Menu

One of my faves!

User Info Menu

Simon Phillips is the man! He's number 2 in my book of favorite drummers. I'll never forget listening to the 801 Live album and thinking who is this drummer? Ever since I've been a "Number 1 Fan"

Last edited by TxDrummer; 06-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

I haven't hear much from him, but I do love his Signature Pro Mark sticks. After many trial runs of different sizes and series, I find these to be the best for me.
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Mad.. the Big Neighborhood jam is TIGHT! I will be plugging the headphones in after a couple listens to try that one out. Being a youngin' I love when I find a good drummer I haven't had heard before. Thanks for the enlightenment!
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Mad...and watching the video with the trio... WOW. That keys player is getting off!! Drums sound great as well. I love it, Thanks again!
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Animaldrums9585 View Post
    Mad...and watching the video with the trio... WOW. That keys player is getting off!! Drums sound great as well. I love it, Thanks again!
    Yes Hiromi is an amazing piano and keyboard player, I love to watch her performances.

Here's some more drumming from the man...

A drum duet between Simon Phillips and the great Gavin Harrison...

It's in 4 parts but really worth watching, they're both amazing

Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    Simon Phillips is the man! He's number 2 in my book of favorite drummers. I'll never forget listening to the 801 Live album and thinking who is this drummer? Ever since I've been a "Number 1 Fan"
    Good one TxDrummer!

User Info Menu

Here's a little something I taught Simon a few years back.

He was such a good student. Picked up on it after just a few sessions.

User Info Menu

Obitty, obitty, boo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Good one TxDrummer!

one of the best Live albums ever!
    Last edited by TxDrummer; 06-01-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Holy Cow! Put the headphones on and enjoy!
    Proud Yamaha Player

User Info Menu

One of the coolest vids I've ever seen! I remember xweasel posted it a while back in the "what music are you listening to" thread.
    Incredible vid!
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-26-2020 at 09:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Give Blood - Pete Townshend (featuring David Gilmour and Simon Phillips)

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-26-2020 at 09:38 PM.

User Info Menu

That's really a high energy song.
    Signature here