Thread: Max Weinberg

User Info Menu

Default Max Weinberg

Max Weinberg (born April 13, 1951) is an American drummer and television personality, most widely known as the longtime drummer for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band and as the bandleader for Conan O'Brien on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien.

Weinberg grew up in suburban New Jersey and began drumming at an early age. He attended college planning to be a lawyer but got his big break in music in 1974 when he won an audition to become the drummer for Springsteen. His powerful but controlled playing on albums such as Born to Run and Born in the U.S.A. stabilized the E Street Band sound and Weinberg became a mainstay of Springsteen's long concert performances. Springsteen dissolved the band in 1989 and Weinberg spent several years considering a law career and trying the business end of the music industry before deciding he wanted to continue with drumming.

In 1993, Weinberg got the role as bandleader of The Max Weinberg 7 for Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Weinberg's drums-driven jump blues sound and his role as a comic foil prospered along with the show, giving him a second career. In 1999, Springsteen reformed the E Street Band for a series of tours and albums; Weinberg worked out an arrangement that allowed him to play with both O'Brien and Springsteen. In 2009, Weinberg moved to the short-lived Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien as leader of Max Weinberg and The Tonight Show Band. After that ended, he formed and toured with a new ensemble, the Max Weinberg Big Band, and in 2010 chose not to follow O'Brien to the new Conan show.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Default Re: Max Weinberg

Can't resist posting this link. He has a hockey rink in his house.

http://live.wsj.com/video/drummer-ma...1-20A062894D33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjshooter View Post

I wonder if he'd take a check from me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjshooter View Post

I think they were referring to the big pond that was out in the back. Nice looking house though.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Thanks for starting a Max thread. He's an awesome drummer. I saw him playing a drum duet with his son who's in a metal band for the 2009 GC drum off. Watching father and son sharing the same stage and trading "fours" is something that I always wanted to do with my boys but they haven't taken to the drums like their old man but hey that's okay with me. As long as there's the "Weinbergs" out there, good enough for me.....

User Info Menu

He is one of the reasons I wanted to become a drummer, and he is also one of the reasons I am a DW fanboy.

User Info Menu

Max sounded better and more refined, IMHO.

User Info Menu

A fellow drummer, Lonsmon and Mensch.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I like how clean his kit is. Not in terms of dust, but the ergonomics just look perfect.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

The "Old Man" sounds tighter. The young gun was a bit sloppy in some of his rolls. The Max still teaching.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

In my opinion, Jay isn't even in the same universe as his dad. Jay's playing just seems tasteless.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    In my opinion, Jay isn't even in the same universe as his dad. Jay's playing just seems tasteless.
    I agree. What it appeared to me when I watched this was that Jay overplayed his part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I agree. What it appeared to me when I watched this was that Jay overplayed his part.
    Well, I think that was the point. They were each just playing their styles. I just don't care for Jay and his style.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

I never really could stomach any Springsteen stuff. Never thought Weinberg was anything special at all. Seemed pretty dull actually.
    Then the 1st time I saw him play on Conan,,,WOW!!
    My chin hit the floor! I was blown away by this guy. I had no idea he was such a beast on drums. He's a very impressive drummer.
    And all these years Bruce was holding him back. Lol

User Info Menu

They were each just playing their styles.
    Well, to me that was obvious. Even a heavy hitting metal drummer can overplay or choose to keep the riffs tight and simple. In my opinion, he looked like he was trying to outplay his dad.....something I would of done if my old man was a drummer and we both faced off on a duel.
    Last edited by late8; 06-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I agree, his kit sounds like crap as well, very thud like. Of course the old man has been playing much longer but the kid does appear he'll ever be as good.