Drum Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boutique/Custom/"Other" Drums Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Boutique/Custom/"Other" Drums Thread

I thought maybe we could have a dedicated thread for custom drums and boutique companies and such like we have threads for the other companies. Companies like SJC, C&C, Craviotto, and really small companies like my favorite drum maker, Addiction Drum Design.

I will start with my most prized possession. It is a completely custom, one of a kind 14"x7" segment snare drum made of wenge, maple, and zebrawood with black chrome hardware. Built by a one-man company called A.D.D.

Also, I'm very sorry if this goes against any forum rules.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Default Re: Boutique/Custom/"Other" Drums Thread

LJM, I think it's a good idea, and I just made it a sticky. When you go into the drumset forum, it will come up at the first part of the list, just like the threads about specific drum manufacturers. The only way this might transgress the forum rules is if it became a place where people tried to advertise for specific makers. Just showing off your gear is no different than other threads where we post pics of our gear.

BTW, that's a gorgeous snare! Can you describe the sound that you get with the different woods in the shell?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    LJM, I think it's a good idea, and I just made it a sticky. When you go into the drumset forum, it will come up at the first part of the list, just like the threads about specific drum manufacturers. The only way this might transgress the forum rules is if it became a place where people tried to advertise for specific makers. Just showing off your gear is no different than other threads where we post pics of our gear.

BTW, that's a gorgeous snare! Can you describe the sound that you get with the different woods in the shell?
    Thank you! First of all, it is decently thick. But despite that and its depth, it is a very lightweight drum. The drum, sounds even better than it looks (And I think it looks amazing!). It really sings. It's got a pleasantly bright tone with very pleasing overtone. It came with an Evans Genera on too which cuts the overtones and brightness down to the perfect amount. And I agree that the black hardware goes well with the drum! The drum maker can make a segment drum to any specification with any types of wood you want. And he has begun doing contouring on some shells, which look amazing. That is the most I will say, because I don't want to market the company. I would like to stay within the rules.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

I have custom drums from Kumu. Handmade in Finland, and Antonio Drums walnut custom snare, steambent 1-ply, handmade in Croatia. AD sells also sets, and true solid also with very reasonable price.

Kumu:

Antonio:

There's my customs, other drumstuff is from bigger manufacturers.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    I have custom drums from Kumu. Handmade in Finland, and Antonio Drums walnut custom snare, steambent 1-ply, handmade in Croatia. AD sells also sets, and true solid also with very reasonable price.

Kumu:

Antonio:

Seba, how you say it in your language? Kiitos! Thanks for sharing such beautiful drum pics.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Seba, how you say it in your language? Kiitos! Thanks for sharing such beautiful drum pics.
    Ole hyvä
    Maybe someday I record soundsamples
    Meanwhile all I can offer is Sami Kuoppamäki playing Kumu's :
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EE2s9I8dpyc

Little Hendrix cover from Finland made over 20 years ago.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

Kumu:

Antonio:

Those look great, Seba. Would love to see some more detailed pictures and a description of the drums.
    GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Love it! I haven't seen too many segmented shells with those wood types. I have seen zebrawood used by DW, but generally only as a veneer for finishing purposes. The black sets it off real nice too! I just want to thank mods from the bottom of my heart for giving us a sticky for custom drum thread. You guys rock!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Very Nice!
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Man, those kumu drums look beautiful. What wood are they made of Seba?
    Anyway, my teacher has a set of craviotto drums, which are the most amazing sounding drum I have ever heard. Beautiful, especially with the inlay.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    Man, those kumu drums look beautiful. What wood are they made of Seba?
    Anyway, my teacher has a set of craviotto drums, which are the most amazing sounding drum I have ever heard. Beautiful, especially with the inlay.
    They are Finnish birch, Kumu makes the veneers himself too.
    Only 3,8mm thick with 1,8mm "soulrings". Probably world thinnest bodys?
    BD is 5mm with 1,8mm rings. Very open sound, and extremely responsive even in very soft hit. Love them to death.

Also thicker ones are available, also vintage sounding new model with not sanded inside with laquer.

If I had more money when I order my drums, these would be my choise:

Probably most beautiful set I've ever seen and tried..

User Info Menu

BD is 5mm with 1,8mm rings. Very open sound, and extremely responsive even in very soft hit. Love them to death.

Also thicker ones are available, also vintage sounding new model with not sanded inside with laquer.

Absolutely beautiful! And so is your kit! I'm jealous.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Man those are NICE!!! Very good looking.
    I've got so many finish ideas I'd like to try but there's no way I'm building another kit.

User Info Menu

I have a 6-piece Pork Pie custom drumset wrapped in turquoise sparkle (although I only play a 4 piece now). Maple Keller shells with sequential serial numbers.

Seen here is a 12x10 (width x depth) tom, a 16x14 hanging floor tom, a 13x5 snare, and a 22x18 kick. I have a 10x8 tom and a 14x12 tom backstage.

Cymbals:
    14" Sabian AA hats (I've had these for almost 20 years)
    10" A Custom splash
    14" A Custom Fast Crash
    15" A Custom Fast Crash
    20" A Custom Ride (not the medium ride or the ping ride)

I have two pieces of custom work on my kit. First, the front kick drum head was a special order from Pork Pie (they no longer do custom heads). When my wife ordered this for me as a Christmas present years ago, she called Pork Pie drums and talked to Bill Detamore himself (he's the one who picked up the phone). When she placed the order, he said, "I'll get to work on it this afternoon." Chances are, Bill did the work himself.

Another custom piece of PP work can be seen here - my custom PP drum throne:

Nope. PP does not mak a drum throne with a backrest. For another Christmas present, my wife got in touch with PP and told then she wanted to get me a throne with a backrest. They suggested she purchase the throne, then buy a Rock-n-Soc backrest, have it shipped to PP, then they would cover it in matching material as the seat and install any necessary brackets. They said that they had only done 3 of these in the history of the company. They no longer do custom work like this.

I love my drums. I glance at other drumsets in music stores, but I'm never envious and I haven't been for the better part of a decade.
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 07-29-2013 at 11:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post

I have a 6-piece Pork Pie custom drumset wrapped in turquoise sparkle (although I only play a 4 piece now). Maple Keller shells with sequential serial numbers.

Seen here is a 12x10 (width x depth) tom, a 16x14 hanging floor tom, a 13x5 snare, and a 22x18 kick. I have a 10x8 tom and a 14x12 tom backstage.

Cymbals:
    14" Sabian AA hats (I've had these for almost 20 years)
    10" A Custom splash
    14" A Custom Fast Crash
    15" A Custom Fast Crash
    20" A Custom Ride (not the medium ride or the ping ride)

I have two pieces of custom work on my kit. First, the front kick drum head was a special order from Pork Pie (they no longer do custom heads). When my wife ordered this for me as a Christmas present years ago, she called Pork Pie drums and talked to Bill Detamore himself (he's the one who picked up the phone). When she placed the order, he said, "I'll get to work on it this afternoon." Chances are, Bill did the work himself.

Another custom piece of PP work can be seen here - my custom PP drum throne:

Nope. PP does not mak a drum throne with a backrest. For another Christmas present, my wife got in touch with PP and told then she wanted to get me a throne with a backrest. They suggested she purchase the throne, then buy a Rock-n-Soc backrest, have it shipped to PP, then they would cover it in matching material as the seat and install any necessary brackets. They said that they had only done 3 of these in the history of the company. They no longer do custom work like this.

I love my drums. I glance at other drumsets in music stores, but I'm never envious and I haven't been for the better part of a decade.
    WOW you had a custom head made with my initials! cool...lol..nice story
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

wow, gorgeous!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I just noticed - the stands are Yamaha. +10~!!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Those are gorgeous. Simply stunning.
    GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Hi folks!

I need your opinion. I just found a used Taye Studio Birch kit on C.L. The finish is Turquoise Glass Glitter. It's posted as being "like new." It's a 6-piece shell pack. Sizes are 22x18, 10 and 12 racks, 14 and 16 floor toms, and a matching 14x5 snare. Price is $850 firm.

I don't need it. It's my gas kicking in. I already have a Tama mini-kit, and a Mapex Meridian Birch which is a 5-piece: bass drum, 2 up, 1 down w/matching snare.

What do you think?

John

User Info Menu

+1 they look awesome.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    I thought maybe we could have a dedicated thread for custom drums and boutique companies and such like we have threads for the other companies. Companies like SJC, C&C, Craviotto, and really small companies like my favorite drum maker, Addiction Drum Design.

I will start with my most prized possession. It is a completely custom, one of a kind 14"x7" segment snare drum made of wenge, maple, and zebrawood with black chrome hardware. Built by a one-man company called A.D.D.

Also, I'm very sorry if this goes against any forum rules.
    I think you might have shown that one on some other thread. It is indeed a eye catching drum you have there!

Not a great picture of it, but it's one of my unique little items. It's an 8" by 6" acrylic 'effects snare' made by Pansini Percussion, who operate out here in Western Sydney.

Nick, who's the owner/operator of the company, had a right ol' laugh with me when I specified the size......only earlier that week, in complete contrast, he was also building a 14" by 8" deep acrylic snare for another customer....I think we kind of compared the situation like a Great Dane versus a small terrier or Chihuahua! But I wanted a small effects snare that was even smaller and high pitched than anything like you'd find with Tama or perhaps a Pearl Firecracker or Popcorn snare.....which are nice little auxillary snares, but this one with it's even smaller diameter I can tuck in nice and close to my hi-hat, and it even goes well with the mini-timbales that I sometimes use in both my percussion set ups as well as being a drumkit add on. And yess, I did specify the Ludwig Classic lugs so that it would match my Ludwig toms.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Just wondering.. Does custom apply to DW collectors, Pearl Masterworks, or Sonor SQ2 type programs? Technically they are built to order like most custom makes, so would they also technically have a spot in this thread?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Just wondering.. Does custom apply to DW collectors, Pearl Masterworks, or Sonor SQ2 type programs? Technically they are built to order like most custom makes, so would they also technically have a spot in this thread?
    But they get discussed enough on other threads.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    But they get discussed enough on other threads.

all the best...

+1 There's no real need to bring them here when there are DW, Pearl, and Sonor threads already.

User Info Menu

The beautiful craviotto kit my local shop has. Very similar to my teachers kit, excet his kit is a little darker in color and doesn't have the tom mount. Solid play all maple shells. Best stuff I've ever heard, sounds better than Dw Collectros by far. 18,14,14,12
    Last edited by imnotverygood9; 05-05-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.