Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crush Chameleon Birch VS PDP Concept Birch?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crush Chameleon Birch VS PDP Concept Birch?

When I first started drum teching for DamageDrummer, the first show was with Mushroomhead. Due to the size of their stage show, DD had to use another drummers kit. It was a Crush kit with 3 rack toms and virgin kick drum.

The biggest complaint that DD had was he couldn't get the rack toms low enough to suit his taste. If you like your rack toms mounted high, I see no issues having a virgin kick. Look at the 2nd pic, this was how the kit was set up by the drummer who owned it. We had no time to rearrange the kit due to a 10 minute set up time limit between bands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    So it's like Yamaha's Noveau lug?
    Yes, I believe so.

As far as the quality from China, I sent back the first kick I received because there were bubbles in the wrap. They replaced it right away-before I even sent back the one I jad--but disconcerting nonetheless.

Overall I'm happy with the kit, but I really wanted to be happy with it. The service I got when I had problems was awesome, unlike OCDP, where I can't even get a replacement snare strainer. I would buy another Crush, tho it'd probably be a Sublime Maple. I'd have a tough time talking myself into buying another OC, even tho I love the sound of it.
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare
    OCDP 14x6 Avalon Snare
    Crush 14x6 Chameleon Snare
    Mapex 13x3 Piccolo Snare

Sabian Cymbals
    14" AAXplosion Hats
    14" HHX Evolution Hats
    14" AA Med Hats
    22" AAX Metal Ride
    20" AA Medium Ride
    20" Pro Ride
    17" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    19" AAXplosion Crash (2)
    20" AAXplosion Crash
    19" Vault Crash (2)
    19" AAXtreme China
    10" HHX Splash

Wuhan Cymbals
    12", 16" & 18" Chinas
    15", 17", 18" Crashes
    8" & 12" splashes

User Info Menu

Yeah I can see how that would be a pita. Funny you mention ocdp as I was just looking at their website too but I know I don't want a 22x20 BD and that's all they seem to offer in this price range..strange?

If I could find a USA made kit in this price range trust me I would seriously consider it as would most.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I think the dampening that heads do, is different from other variables that cause dampening to the shell itself.
    So why do we attach legs to a floor tom instead of going virgin? Here we are with three steel rods, supporting the full weight of the drum itself against the floor.
    At this point your theory either implodes, or else drummers just don't care as much about tom sound as bass sound!!

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 05-07-2013 at 08:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    So why do we attach legs to a floor tom instead of going virgin? Here we are with three steel rods, supporting the full weight of the drum itself against the floor.
    At this point your theory either implodes, or else drummers just don't care as much about tom sound as bass sound!!

all the best...
    I've seen floor toms without legs on them, suspended by isolation mounts or converted by cradles. The legs and brackets aren't that large though, not as much stress is put on the drum.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I am going to throw in a vote for the pdp. I haven't heard the concept birch but I have heard and played the fs-5 and it sounds very good and keeps in tune well. I don't know much about crush, but I think pdp is the best bang for buck company in drums. You could also look at the tama silverstar. They are good quality, durable and a great value.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    When I first started drum teching for DamageDrummer, the first show was with Mushroomhead. Due to the size of their stage show, DD had to use another drummers kit. It was a Crush kit with 3 rack toms and virgin kick drum.

The biggest complaint that DD had was he couldn't get the rack toms low enough to suit his taste. If you like your rack toms mounted high, I see no issues having a virgin kick. Look at the 2nd pic, this was how the kit was set up by the drummer who owned it. We had no time to rearrange the kit due to a 10 minute set up time limit between bands.

Depends on how deep the toms are.. the fast sizes of today sound awesome and you can get them nice and low

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Yeah trying them both is going to be tough.. there is no crush dealer around here. Hmmm Maybe the rack mount on top of the BD with would be better for quick set up while gigging on the pdp..hmmmmm decisions decisions.. I really wish those silver stars had worked out...dang it..

I am going to go hit a Yammie Stage custom birch this week and will add that to the mix..about the same price as the pdp's and if I can get them from local shop even better.
    I see you're in Maine. I believe Mike at Portland Percussion sells Crush kits, I know he did a while back anyway. You can try out the PDP kit at the shop I always do business with talk to Mike, Josh, Stefan, or Chris at The Drum Shop, they will take care of you.

User Info Menu

Question Re: Crush Chameleon Birch VS PDP Concept Birch?

Any [over a year later] further comments on this comparison?

This is currently the EXACT choice I am facing now .... PDP Concept 7pc (white) vs. CRUSH Chameleon white/white 5pc.
    (I currently cannot find an equivalent 7pc CRUSH kit without having to purchase the 8" rack tom and second floor tom separately).

ALSO, for those of you with the PDP Concept Kit, have you tried removing the tom bracket from the top of the bass drum?
    If so, what does it look like underneath?

Looking forward to any further comments/information you all may have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post

This is currently the EXACT choice I am facing now .... PDP Concept 7pc (white) vs. CRUSH Chameleon white/white 5pc.
    (I currently cannot find an equivalent 7pc CRUSH kit without having to purchase the 8" rack tom and second floor tom separately).

ALSO, for those of you with the PDP Concept Kit, have you tried removing the tom bracket from the top of the bass drum?

Anyone ??

Anyone ??

Bueller ??

Bueller ??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Crush says it has double 45 degree bearing edges, does anyone know what this means?
    I was talking to a man who would be classified as a master of drum building, who told me that double 45's are used by people who don't actually understand how edges work.
    I think it's a gimmick that sounds fancy.

If the shell is grade A birch, why would they avoid involving the shell in the vibration caused by hitting the head?
    Last edited by Zeta; 09-05-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Looks like CRUSH has stopped producing the Chameleon Birch series ... instead, replacing it with a birch/poplar blend - and calling it "Chameleon Complete."

In addition to the downgrade in shell material, can't seem to find ANY online retailer who actually offer/sell the Chameleon Complete kits.

I've lost a lot of respect for CRUSH over this.

User Info Menu

I removed the Tom mounts frm my X7 maple PDP's. One large hole , 4 small holes.

Then I had these made and put them on.

User Info Menu

How/Where did you have those made?

User Info Menu

How/Where did you have those made?
    I did a Google search on plaque makers. I emailed one, sent a pic of the logo, he quoted me a price and I had him make them. $35.00 for the pair. I can't remeber the exact site I used, I'm sure there are several that can do the job.

User Info Menu

This is a really tough call. I guess I'd just have to default to the advice of going and playing them for yourself (if possible) and see.

IMO, when it comes to this price point, one set probably won't blow the other out of the water. It will be primarily personal preference.

EDIT: I didn't realize this is a zombie thread! Sorry.

Also, Rich, a couple of thoughts about your post:

1. One (or two?) of the guys from Mushroomhead are from my hometown. I couldn't tell you which one(s) though. I guess we moved in difference circles.

2. Seems to me like putting toms low would be easier with stands off of the kick drum. Kick-drum-mounted toms seem to be more limiting than stand-mounted toms, but I've not dealt with any decent super-adjustable kick drum mounts. The only ones I have personal experience with this kind of mount are the ones that came with my Tama Rockstars in the early 1990s and another Rockstar mount from the late 1990s.
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 01-15-2015 at 09:27 AM.