Thread: Song BPM database

User Info Menu

Default Song BPM database

Hello all! I have done a google search but am not having a lot of luck. My teacher has given me an exercise for my feet playing to songs and working through different BPMs as I progress. I can find databases where you can type in the name of a song and get its bpm but I can't seem to find one that allows me to type in a range and get a list of songs in that range. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Song BPM database

I don't, sorry. But, IMO, a simple metronome can really help!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Hi almostmatt. I can certainly use a metronome. He just thought it wouldn't get so boring if I did the exercises to music.

User Info Menu

I think he meant to use a metronome to figure out tempos to songs you like. Keep in mind some songs arent recorded to a click, so one number wont stay consistent. Id honestly just play to the song without a click or to a click by itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danydew View Post
    Hi almostmatt. I can certainly use a metronome. He just thought it wouldn't get so boring if I did the exercises to music.
    I certainly understand that, and agree with it. I've done the same thing throughout the whole time I've been playing drums. So what exercises are you practicing? Double bass stuff? I might be able to recommend you a few songs to work on, I've been playing metal and stuff like that for a while now, and have a few good songs up my sleeve for practicing double bass stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    I think he meant to use a metronome to figure out tempos to songs you like.
    Yep, Aviator hit the nail on the head. I should have been more specific, sorry about that.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

If you do a google search like this

Acdc - thunderstruck - bpm

You'll get what your looking for, I think wiki show the bpm too.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

There is one banner ad, but this is not a commercial site, so hopefully this link is okay to post here:

http://songbpm.com/

This one takes paypal donations, but is otherwise a free site:

http://bpmdatabase.com/index.php

When I'm doing cover videos, I'll often have to drop a click over parts of songs to keep it together. I can usually find the bpm on one of those sites. If not, I find a few obvious points in the wav files, measure the time between them, and do a little math. You can also get free smart phone apps that let your tap along to something and then calculate the speed. You have to be really steady for it to work well.
    Last edited by Redeye; 05-10-2013 at 09:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Curious why would he give you BPM on ya feet..or hands for that matter..how about solid playing, technique,etc. And you're not advanced (yet) why the rush?...as a teacher he should already have a grip on your speed..I know my 7yr old is at about 130-140 on paradiddles, I wont push it yet...so why is it important I guess is my question?

User Info Menu

Wow. Sorry, disappeared didn't I? The exercises he has me doing are heel down technique on the hat and bass drum to build the muscles. He has given me a sheet with different ostinatos(?) and a chart with 60 bpm through 130 bmp. I am to spend about 10 min. a day as part of my practice using one of the ostinatos for each foot using one of the bmp. and marking it off as I go. He said I should be spending several months doing these, working my way up to the faster speeds. I've already noticed strength in my feet after doing them consistently the first week or two with daily practice. I have been using a metronome and have found I prefer it to using music. Thank you very much everyone for your responses!

User Info Menu

-bump-

A couple months ago I found a website called jog.fm, designed for joggers who like to run to music. You put in the bpm and a list of songs will show up that are at or within 5 bpm of that tempo. You can also narrow the results down by genre. Might be worth checking out.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I searched "Songs at 120 tempo" on google and found a ton of databases of songs, that are at 120.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quick Google search came up with numerous websites. Here is just one example:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~davet/music/index.html