Thread: Tama Imperialstar Review

User Info Menu

Default Tama Imperialstar Review

Id just like to tell you all that i sold my cheapo beginners kit last week. Ueing the money i got from that and my savings i looked round and the absolute best i could afford was a Tama Imperialstar. Ive had it for a few days now so im gona post a full review.

The Hardware:
    Its a bit hard to say cos ive only had the kit for a few days but it looks sturdy enough. I'll have to wait and see how it passes the test of time though.

The Toms: The main criticism of the Tama Imperialstar is that they have poplar shells. I dont see this as a problem. I might get flamed for this but i dont think poplar is far inferior the birch or maple at all. The toms are nice and quick and have a nice "thump" to them. Although it took a little tuning first.

The Snare: Thebest thing about the whole kit! The Tama Imperialstar comes with a steel snare that really wouldent be out of place on a more expensive kit. When tuned low it hasnt got a n interesting sound, but whe you crank it tight it sounds great!

All in all im happy. It's good valueformoney and it all sounds great compared to a lot of other kits in the same pricerange.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Vinny! And don't worry about getting flamed for the poplar shells. There are a lot of Pearl fans in here, and the Export series has been a popular series, worldwide. Those drums have poplar shells too, so it can't be all that bad! Yes, I'm a fan of maple, but that's just what sounds good to my ear. If poplar sounds good to you, I say "cool!"
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit vinny. you have the get what suits your circumstances at the time personally i dont have any preference. hope you have many hours of happy drumming on your new kit.

User Info Menu

Right on, vinnie! I agree with pb. I have a Pearl ELX kit that is poplar and you will never hear my say anything bad about it (as long as everything holds up). Sure, birch and maple make great sounding drums, but if poplar was not a good sounding wood, they would'nt make drums out of it, now would they?
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

nice, man. i'm sure it will work out well for ya for the next several years.

User Info Menu

I own it too..

It really worthed according to the price....
    Nice kit....But I have a problem with my bass pedal here....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    I own it too..

It really worthed according to the price....
    Nice kit....But I have a problem with my bass pedal here....
    Really? What seems to be the problem?

User Info Menu

hmm....
    When I hit the pedal....It often hit my footstep...
    And that annoyed me much....

So I see u don't have any problem with it ??
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX