Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GC drum off help.

User Info Menu

Default GC drum off help.

OK guys/gals, I was thinking of doing something similar to this solo I did awhile back, please give me your honest imput, give me some pointers, I need you drum chat, tell me something I can add or take away, please keep in mind I suck at rudiments, anyway any help is much appreciated.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=12176369

User Info Menu

Dang! Can't get it to come up on this computer. Well, like I said, groove is 99% of the battle. Two or three different grooves should be plenty and make sure your transitions from one groove to the next make musical sense (i.e. don't loose your audience). Don't blast their heads in with 5 minutes of doubles. A little bit goes a long way. You'll see some guys just blasting away the whole time. If you can have a big dynamic swing (very soft to face melting) without speeding up or slowing down, it'll make a good impression. I saw the judges actually counting with the solo's, so stay in time. If you retard, do it on purpose.

As far as the level of your competitors, at the store competition level, it goes from total hacker to very, very talented. Don't be intimidated. There will also be a bunch of guys there who drum but didn't have the huevo's to sign up. Just by being in the Drum Off you've set yourself above most of the crowd.

User Info Menu

Generally, I like it, Kevin. It's got a great groove, and you show that off to great advantage. What I don't feel is sense of movement through the whole thing. In other words, I didn't feel it gradually building to that point where it led natually into your solo. Also, I didn't feel a natural ending, where you came out of your solo with a groove, and then a big finish. I think with your love of the sound of the cymbals, a big finish with the crescendo of cymbal sounds would be awesome.

Those are just some thoughts. I hope they are helpful in some way, even if you consider them, and choose not to use them. Just thinking about it will help you clarify what you want to do. God's speed, Kevin!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Generally, I like it, Kevin. It's got a great groove, and you show that off to great advantage. What I don't feel is sense of movement through the whole thing. In other words, I didn't feel it gradually building to that point where it led natually into your solo. Also, I didn't feel a natural ending, where you came out of your solo with a groove, and then a big finish. I think with your love of the sound of the cymbals, a big finish with the crescendo of cymbal sounds would be awesome.

Those are just some thoughts. I hope they are helpful in some way, even if you consider them, and choose not to use them. Just thinking about it will help you clarify what you want to do. God's speed, Kevin!
    Excellant bob, thanks

User Info Menu

Hey Pd, you mentioned that you were going to use your own snare. You might want to check out the snare they supply. If it's tuned well and the action isn't too different than your own, you may find it to your liking. I assume they'll use a DW snare, which will probably be pretty sweet. My son has always used his own kick pedals because the action varies so much from one pedal to the next, but he always used the store snare. Keep in mind that one of the judges may be a factory rep for DW. If he sees you replacing his snare with your own it might not make a good impression. On the other hand, if it's going to throw you off (get it? throw off?), you might as well use your own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Keep in mind that one of the judges may be a factory rep for DW. If he sees you replacing his snare with your own it might not make a good impression.
    Excellent point, RD. I would'nt worry about any other reps being there, but DW and whatever cymbal brand they have set up is highly possible. I would stick with what they have and adjust it to fit you as best you can.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Excellent point, RD. I would'nt worry about any other reps being there, but DW and whatever cymbal brand they have set up is highly possible. I would stick with what they have and adjust it to fit you as best you can.
    I am going to use what they have to offer, I know it will be a dw kit, so I am assuming they will have some sick sounding dw snare, so heck yes I am using that.

I am starting to get nervous.

User Info Menu

Start practicing visualizing yourself in your practice room. That way, when you get there, you can just close you eyes and find that sense of calm that you have in your practice room. You know what you can do there, because you do it, we see it, and it's amazing!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Kevin, I'm late getting to this thread. I just went to view the solo and got this message: Sorry! an unexpected error has occurred.

This error has been forwarded to MySpace's technical group.

I'll try back later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    I am going to use what they have to offer, I know it will be a dw kit, so I am assuming they will have some sick sounding dw snare, so heck yes I am using that.

I am starting to get nervous.
    Just go to a dealership and test drive the car they're giving away. Is it a Scion Toaster again this year?

User Info Menu

Well imo I don't think you should base the whole thing off of one beat. Also use different styles too and get creative with your fills. Try to be original, don't play a beat you know everyone has pretty much heard something just like it. Lastly just make sure its pleasing to the ear and it grooves well.

User Info Menu

I love your work kev its an awesome vid.

Im with eons. It was good but road said. Get two or three different grooves to mould through what you started at. Also re look over what your doing Make sure everythng your doing is what you want it to do because i think you lost control on a couple of cymbals there (Slight technique issue coming off that ride? Or maybe you wanted it? People do it when there rushed, Build up the volume last not being loudest in rush to get to the snare or hat)

uhm Dont get too trashy or thrashy. KISS technique and still being able to impress these guys would be what they want.

UHM..... *watches again*

Try get some more dynamics in there! There is a part wher you come off the ride and start some wicked hi hat rudiments. And you hit a crash and two splashes..... I love splash fills maybe cut the crash out and hit a 3rd splash if you have or just hit betwen the 2 for a value of 3? Keeps the dynamics low. If you give a beat rest there before coming into the groove again, Very nice! :P

Maybe even transfer into a different groove there?

Some contructive critisism i hope :P Im good for that

OH ohohoh i thought of a beat for ya...... i dunno how to describe it though. I ll try program it and post the midi :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Something that might help would be to listen to some of the classic drum solos and evaluate why they work. One that comes to mind is a very short one that's from the live version of "Rock N Roll" by Heart (if you can get your hands on it). It's very, very simple but really moving (IMO). Another one is the live version of Zeppelin's "Moby D_ick". It's super long (18 min.), but it's cool to listen to how far Bonham can go away from the origional groove and then reel it back in, tempo and all. It's also neat the way you can hear the main hook of the song echoed in his solo. Very tastey stuff.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, awesome advise, I appreciate it.
    I have really been watching alot of vids, and just trying to put something together that is creative and groove heavy, I guess we will see what happens.

User Info Menu

Oh, and don't forget the underwear thing - not your's, their's - as in visualize them in their underware! Make the whole experience less threatening if you can pull it off!

User Info Menu

Oh, and don't forget the underwear thing - not your's, their's...you can pull it off!
    Dr. Freud, calling Dr. Freud?

User Info Menu

Lol

User Info Menu

i noticed in some part you would build up then transition back to the original grove before building up again and i thought that was cool but a real good way to keep people on there toes is to change time signatures for example theres this drummer at my church from the days of buddy and his solos all have three diferent time sigs and at the end he works back though them to the begining. if you can do it it would be killer. but the solos rocks.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Its a nice solo. I read from somewhere that practicing in front of a mirror or recording a video of you playing helps with confidence especially seeing your own funny/weird 'drum face'.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    i noticed in some part you would build up then transition back to the original grove before building up again and i thought that was cool but a real good way to keep people on there toes is to change time signatures for example theres this drummer at my church from the days of buddy and his solos all have three diferent time sigs and at the end he works back though them to the begining. if you can do it it would be killer. but the solos rocks.
    DD, it's nice to have you among us. From this, and other posts, it's apparent that you are a skilled drummer. It's nice to have another "answer man" around here!

User Info Menu

thanks pb
    by the way pd in the part of the grove whare you switch up the hit hat beat and transfer both sticks up and then one down to the snare you could though in a cymbol fill there that would blow them out of the watter. the timeing is prefict for it and i know you like playing with your cymbols alot. just another random thought

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

DD, it's nice to have you among us. From this, and other posts, it's apparent that you are a skilled drummer. It's nice to have another "answer man" around here!
    Yes it is, thank you DD.

User Info Menu

So Kev are you doing this or not?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    So Kev are you doing this or not?
    Well I certainly planned on it, but my day was on the 19th on a Weds, and I have to drive my school bus, and my closest guitar center is almost three hours away, so unfortunately not this years, but I am going to try next years when I have some time built up.

User Info Menu

next year i will do it to kev, i hope to see you at nationals with me.