View Poll Results: Which type of floor tom do you prefer?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suspended floor tom

5 13.16%
  • Standing floor tom

33 86.84%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor tom type?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom type?

Legs. I'm gonna convert my hanger into a legger. Easier to move around. And also easier to position my other stand b/c they aren't fighting with the tom stand.

User Info Menu

I chose suspended only because I don't have any like that and sometimes the legs get annoying trying to position them when using dual floor toms.

From the votes I see I'm definitely in the minority. ... As usual.

User Info Menu

Depends on the size. 16" and up I prefer legs. Both my 14" Absolute and DW sing for days hanging though.

Looks wise I prefer the legs too. Hanging floor toms still don't look quite right to me.

I've found that a lot of older kits don't have FT legs that are long enough though. My Rogers FT's could use a good 4-5" longer legs.

User Info Menu

Legs....as many have already stated, so much easier to move around to position and no conflicts with cymbal or extra tom stands around my ride position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    My floor tom is an 18-incher and with cast hoops, it is big and heavy..........it even has 4 legs.
    Yeah, my camco 18" has 4 legs also. It's an odd one, that.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

when ive played hanging floors the sound does seem to resonate much better, but dont think ive ever played a floor with the pearl feet, or the mapex spring legs, so cant compare to those.

Still, legs make positioning so much easier for gigging, personal changes for each drummer easier, for me the best mix (i guess) is legs with the air suspension tech things (hence planning on buying the pearl feet)
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Legs, and for one simple reason . . . I've never used a kit with a suspended tom. My floor toms have legs with Gibraltar's version of the air gap feet, and I'm happy with my current sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I first had suspended. Didn't like it cause I don't have a rack, and in small place it was kinda hard to get it in good position with the symbalstand.
    Legged is my choise, now and forever.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

My Pearl kit came with suspended floor toms and I converted them to have legs. I like them much better now. My Tama kit has a suspended floor tom, and I am thinking about changing them as well, but it sounds so good and has sustain for days, so it isn't a pressing issue.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    My Pearl kit came with suspended floor toms and I converted them to have legs. I like them much better now. My Tama kit has a suspended floor tom, and I am thinking about changing them as well, but it sounds so good and has sustain for days, so it isn't a pressing issue.
    Ya, that's the only reason I hesitate to do that to mine, it sound SO GOOD on that stand.

User Info Menu

I can deal with a 14 on a stand, but 16+ needs legs I think. I had a Beech Custom kit with a suspended 16 and it always worried me that there was so much weight suspended at one small spot (Yamaha system). It was also always a huge pain to get the positioning correct. I think you loose a small bit of resonance, but for live gigs no one will really notice that. BTW - I have done a side-by-side comparison with and without the Pearl air ride feet (or whatever they are called) and there was quite a noticeable difference. If you are looking for more ring, those would definitely help.

User Info Menu

Hmm, yeah I noticed a little bit more resonance without the legs I suppose. I thought it was just my imagination though.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i like legs. The riser is usually so different at each place that it's just easier to set up plus you can see the fishnets they wear
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN