Thread: Drum Heads for Tama Silverstar

User Info Menu

Default Drum Heads for Tama Silverstar

Hey fellow drummers it's my first post here. I recently purchased a Tama Silverstar Metro-Jam because I wanted something small and portable. ( I am a college student and living in a small apartment.) As usual I need to replace the stock heads but I was wondering on your opinion for a head configuration for the whole set. I'm kinda OCD so I like all my heads to be the same company (I'm the same with cymbals/drums/gear). At the moment I am not able to go test out different configuration in person so I am seeking your advice.

As far as tone is concerned, I play all styles from rock, jazz, country, metal, hip hop, ect. So, I want a good versatile drum heads. A good cracking snare, clear bright toms, and a punchy bass drum with as much low end as possible. The drums are all birch and I use wood tip sticks and a plastic beater on my bd pedal.

If you could give suggested batter and resonant heads for each drum that would be great. Sizes: 14x16 BD, 6.5x10 TT, 11x13 FT, and 5x12 SD.

Thanks a lot for your insight guys!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Heads for Tama Silverstar

BD - EMAD2 batter/EQ3 reso - this combo will give you lots of punch and lots of low end; I use this combo on my drums

Toms - G2 clear batter/G1 clear reso - the G2s seem to be very versatile heads

Snare - "lot of crack" has more to do with tuning. You can achieve this with pretty much any combo, but I would suggest either a Genera, Grey Hybrid, or ST Dry batter/Hazy 300 snare side

All suggestions listed are Evans brand

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see your drum sizes. With a 12 inch snare, you are pretty much assured good crack. I don't think the EMAD comes in that small of a size but you can get good punch with some proper dampening. With a 16 inch bass drum, I might try a Black Chrome batter with a EC resonant. That I'm not entirely sure about; it's just a guess. Maybe someone else has a better idea for the bass. :/
    Last edited by ljmarch; 05-11-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Due to the smaller sizes of your drums I would go with coated over clear ambos all around, with a PS3 batter on your kick.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I was already considering a ps3 for the bd but didn't really think of using coated for the toms.