Thread: The Art of Diplomacy - How to be Diplomatic in a Forum

User Info Menu

Default The Art of Diplomacy - How to be Diplomatic in a Forum

Diplomacy - The art of dealing with people in a sensitive and effective way.

The key word here is sensitive . Human egos are fragile by nature therefore the art of diplomacy is essential in developing an effective conversation void of conflict.

Some think that being diplomatic means to keep your opinions to yourself. On the contrary, it simply means to voice your opinion in a careful and constructive manner. When you know how to say something diplomatically, you double the effectiveness of your statement. The reader will hear a voice of care and respect rather than judgement.

Here are a few tips:

1. Think before you speak and try not to be impulsive. If something angers you, don't reply right away. Step back and read the post again and resolve to handle it maturely.

2. Don't take things so personally. Much of the time, people take things the wrong way. Depending on how skilled the writer is, many statements can be misunderstood or interpreted different ways. You've done yourself a diservice if you always take things personally and get offended easily.

3. Assess facts before emotion. Evaluate the conversation logically first and foremost and react to facts more than your personal bias.

4. Don't always try to be right. Assertiveness and decisiveness are good traits but nobody likes a know-it-all.

5. Practice makes perfect. Just like drumming, practicing diplomacy pays off the more you practice it. You'll find yourself getting along with everyone a lot more, even in your personal lives at home.

6. Love and respect yourself. It's been proven that when we love ourselves, we treat people around us better. Continually work on becoming a better person and watch your other relationships flourish.

========================

How to respond in a more diplomatic and effective way:

No: That drummer sucks.
    Yes: He's not my favorite.

No: You're wrong.
    Yes: I disagree but respect your opinion. [or] The facts seem to state otherwise.

No: You need to...
    Yes: May I suggest that you...

No: You should...
    Yes: You might want to consider...

No: I hate that lick that you do on bar 4 of the chorus.
    Yes: I like the way you groove.

Accentuate the positive! People appreciate compliments more than judgement. Why not tell them what you like about their playing rather than what you don't like? Unless your their instructor, it is not really your place to criticize their drumming, unless they ask you to. And even then, make sure that you tell them what you like about their playing, not just what you don't like. Build people up! Don't tear them down.

Nobody's perfect and we'll all sometimes say things that could be more diplomatic or caring. But if we all continually try to do our best (just like drumming), than this forum will continue to be a pleasant experience for everyone.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Art of Diplomacy - How to be Diplomatic in a Forum

this will come in handy on this forum at times.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

This forum is much better at this than many others, that is for sure.

User Info Menu

Good tips drummer. Thanks!

I have always been one to post things like I am talking to a good friend. If I disagree with someone, I try to point out, with facts, in a non-personal way, why I disagree. Sometimes it is a bit hard to judge a person's tone based on things in writing, so at times you just have to tread a bit lightly, so-to-speak. Also, a little bit of humor can go a long way. I think most people like to have a good chuckle vs. being ticked off.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

I have always been one to post things like I am talking to a good friend. If I disagree with someone, I try to point out, with facts, in a non-personal way, why I disagree. Sometimes it is a bit hard to judge a person's tone based on things in writing, so at times you just have to tread a bit lightly, so-to-speak. Also, a little bit of humor can go a long way. I think most people like to have a good chuckle vs. being ticked off.
    100% agree
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Absolutely! Great post!

User Info Menu

Great post, Drummer. I'm accused, often, of being too direct with my feedback here at work. So, I've developed my own political correctness vocabulary. Here's an example...

Old Tex - "You are full of Sh-stuff".
    New Tex - "I believe you have reached your limit of remanufactured grass from the posterior end of the bovine species".

Tex

User Info Menu

Great post, Drummer. I'm accused, often, of being too direct with my feedback here at work. So, I've developed my own political correctness vocabulary. Here's an example...

Old Tex - "You are full of Sh-stuff".
    New Tex - "I believe you have reached your limit of remanufactured grass from the posterior end of the bovine species".

Tex
    ... nice!

User Info Menu

I'm the most diplomatic person on this forum, and if you dont believe me you can go ....

User Info Menu

I'm really glad this thread was bumped again. It's an excellent guide and should be studied by all members. I wouldn't object if you stuck a link in the forum rules either, in a suggestive way. Might cut down on heated talks, and eliminate outbursts altogether?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I'm really glad this thread was bumped again. It's an excellent guide and should be studied by all members. I wouldn't object if you stuck a link in the forum rules either, in a suggestive way. Might cut down on heated talks, and eliminate outbursts altogether?
    Agree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I'm the most diplomatic person on this forum, and if you dont believe me you can go...
    So, does this mean I can't refer to you as jerk-face anymore?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

In addition to understanding that Drum Chat is based on respect for one another, I think it's also important to realize that anyone can have a bad day. The trick is not to take it personally when it happens. I know a number of members who have told me that they wrote a post in response to something that seemed a little harsh, and then thought better about it, and didn't post it. Knowing when to cut each other some slack, and just not responding in kind, is very important to a respectful attitude. Hey, I might need someone to cut me some slack next week.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    In addition to understanding that Drum Chat is based on respect for one another, I think it's also important to realize that anyone can have a bad day. The trick is not to take it personally when it happens. I know a number of members who have told me that they wrote a post in response to something that seemed a little harsh, and then thought better about it, and didn't post it. Knowing when to cut each other some slack, and just not responding in kind, is very important to a respectful attitude. Hey, I might need someone to cut me some slack next week.
    No slack for pastors.... slacker!

(Another great post and thanks PB!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Good idea Russ. I'll run it by admin.

User Info Menu

Well thought out and written. Bravo Tom!!

User Info Menu

So, does this mean I can't refer to you as jerk-face anymore?
    Only you buddy!

User Info Menu

Good post, drummer.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Good post, drummer.

Who cares what you think!

Um... I mean, thanks Matt.

User Info Menu

Nothing like a good knockdown dragout to keep the blood flowing.

I wouldn't know diplomacy if it bit me on the butt.

I think I'm kidding, but, I'm not sure.

User Info Menu

is there a mark there ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

This thread reminds me of this