Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some expert drumchat advise...

User Info Menu

Default I need some expert drumchat advise...

As most of you know I recently purchased a DW kit. Well I have everything sounding AMAZING except the 12" tom. I can't for the life of me, get that tom to sing like the rest of the kit. It just sounds flat and dull. I have tried the following head combos Evans G1 on batter with G1 on reso, which so far is the best combo, then I tried evans coated G2's on batter with g1's on reso, and they are kinda sound boxy to me. Give me some suggestions. To be honest I have never cared much for 12" tom and have never used them in my prior kits, but I know that this tom can sing, but maybe I am just not a 12" kinda guy. Help!

BTW the shells are all maple VLT with reinforcement rings
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: I need some expert drumchat advise...

Oddly...I have the same problem with my 12" Starclassic tom. Just refuses to sing. So I don't use it.

Sorry...can't help beyond that!

User Info Menu

Do like to tune your toms low or high?
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Weird...I usually have the 13" odd ball that just wont tune, or hold tune...I have 3 13" toms on my Kitchen table actually...I just gave up on all of them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    Do like to tune your toms low or high?
    actually more in the middle, not to low and not to high

User Info Menu

Yea I am fearing that I may be shelving this tom soon. However I love a nice 4pc set-up so I would be cool with that. But would like to use it, if I can just get it to do something

User Info Menu

Tune your 12" away from the kit in another room. Probably what the problem is, is that you've tuned the rest of your kit and you're trying to tune the 12' to fit in afterwards, and the place were it "fits" isnt were the drum likes to be tuned.
    Any drum is tunable and all drums tune the same way the diameter makes ZERO difference. If you can tune a 10" you can tune a 12" 13" or a 15.5", its the same technique and theory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    actually more in the middle, not to low and not to high
    That's strange. Usually that wouldn't be a problem. Tuning drums high often chokes the sound. I believe you get the best resonance when tuning to the lowest fundamental pitch. And since those are DWs, there should be a note stamped inside the shell. Have you seen John Good's video about tuning?
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Tune your 12" away from the kit in another room. Probably what the problem is, is that you've tuned the rest of your kit and you're trying to tune the 12' to fit in afterwards, and the place were it "fits" isnt were the drum likes to be tuned.
    Any drum is tunable and all drums tune the same way the diameter makes ZERO difference. If you can tune a 10" you can tune a 12" 13" or a 15.5", its the same technique and theory.
    I agree...I just wish I never bought 13"'s..the sound difference from 12 to 13 isnt very significant...I much rather go in 2's....8, 10,12,14,16 and at times 18

User Info Menu

Lol I took your advise northern and bam there it is, finally! I did this with all the drums, I just tuned tuned them to my liking and wow hello. Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Also, as a precaution, make sure your hoops aren't warped or anything like that. I highly doubt they would be, but you never know.

Edit: Sorry. Posted this before I saw your comment.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Lol I took your advise northern and bam there it is, finally! I did this with all the drums, I just tuned tuned them to my liking and wow hello. Thanks guys
    You're very welcome my friend!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    Also, as a precaution, make sure your hoops aren't warped or anything like that. I highly doubt they would be, but you never know.

Edit: Sorry. Posted this before I saw your comment.
    Great advice...I had a hoop that was warped just slightly, and raised hell till I realized it.

User Info Menu

just to add..that hoop was from the factory warped..so ya never know...But NR's advice was spot on

User Info Menu

Thank Ya!

User Info Menu

Just a funny story..when I was at Berklee you could sign up for a practice room I think it was in half hrs (been awhile) tune up the kit, then give it up for half an hr and go back..I'd swear 20 mins was spent on re-tuning..everyones ear is different....Man, did that suck...there's some bad ears out there

User Info Menu

Without getting too technical i'll agree that it's a good idea to take the tom off the kit when tuning up, something I prefer to do. If a drum doesn't sustain, it's tuned too low or too high for it's diameter to handle(this is where diameter does matter). Bring it up some until you find a balance between sustain and attack, and that will be your sweet spot. As a drum gains a higher pitch it will sustain more, until eventually it will choke once the head reaches the max tension it can handle. You'll find sustain dies when you reach extreme tunings in either direction be it high or low, so avoid them and go for the space between, and this will make the tom sound it's best. You should know however, that reinforcement rings do add a small degree of brightness and focus to the tone of a drum - in addition to their main purpose of strengthening thinner shells.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

As most of you know I recently purchased a DW kit. Well I have everything sounding AMAZING except the 12" tom. I can't for the life of me, get that tom to sing like the rest of the kit. It just sounds flat and dull. I have tried the following head combos Evans G1 on batter with G1 on reso, which so far is the best combo, then I tried evans coated G2's on batter with g1's on reso, and they are kinda sound boxy to me. Give me some suggestions. To be honest I have never cared much for 12" tom and have never used them in my prior kits, but I know that this tom can sing, but maybe I am just not a 12" kinda guy. Help!

BTW the shells are all maple VLT with reinforcement rings
    How do you have it mounted? If it's in a snare stand that is the problem. Snare stands choke Toms and do not let them resonate properly. If it's not in a snare stand I'm not sure what the issue could be.

User Info Menu

Dude. That is brilliant.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Its human nature to do the easiest taks first. So most people naturally tune their favourite drum first and then try and make the harder drum fit. BUT if you tune each drum on its own starting with the "hard" drum, you'll have a much easier time.

User Info Menu

Its human nature to do the easiest taks first. So most people naturally tune their favourite drum first and then try and make the harder drum fit. BUT if you tune each drum on its own starting with the "hard" drum, you'll have a much easier time.
    When I tune my toms, I start from the lowest one and move to the next lowest one, because I always know exactly how I want my 16" floor tom to sound, but I don't care too much about my 10 or 12". But, if I started with my 10 or 12", it would sound good at first, but if I'm tuning each drum relative to the others, then my 16" would sound a lot higher than I want.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

I still have the same problem with my 12". My 10" and 16" are golden, but for the life of me I can't get my 12" to sound decent. I'll have another fiddle with it tonight.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Yea I took all the drums and tuned them to my liking in a separate room, set them back on there stands and bam, man do they sing. I feel kinda like an idiot for not thinking of this myself, but thanks Redneck for giving me the advise and a virtual slap in the face lol. I tend to focus on other things and forget the obvious

User Info Menu

Send it to me. I'll get it set up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Send it to me. I'll get it set up.
    no way we know you here

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY