Thread: I may just shoot myself...

User Info Menu

Default I may just shoot myself...

If this happens one more time ... That guy's saying "ONE MORE TIME!" lol
    I'm really getting sick of dealing with my PDP402 pedals. On second thought, I'm really getting sick of all my PDP hardware! The main two things that I need figured out are as follows:

This problem has never happened until recently...
    The spring and all its counterparts on the left side (that hold the beater in place) of the right pedal, keep on falling completely off right in the middle of playing, forcing me to get down on my hands and knees like a monkey and find out what the hell is going on, which by the way I have failed, that is why I come to you all lol.
    To describe what happens more clearly (I don't have a camera), I'll be playing using my hi hat and right pedal, which is the strange part, and all of a sudden feel the left beater either fall back on my leg or stay straight against the bass head. The part that tightens on the bottom of the screw is the problem I believe. I've tried making more room for the thing on the screw, up to about a half an inch out the bottom, and still it falls off. My right beater has never had this problem and I'm using that as my only reference.

My stupid friggin hi hat clutch . This thing has caused me problems since I bought it, again PDP hardware. I'll tighten the clutch on the top hat just like it should be and sit it about a centimeter away from the bottom hat. I do this because the PST-3's I own sound much to open if they're farther apart. Anyway, after almost every song where I use it, not even that much sometimes, it will keep getting looser and looser on the clutch, the part that holds the top hat not the part that tightens on to the rod. It will do this until eventually it just becomes flat and flying all over the place.

My band and I have a big big show coming up next weekend so I need some tips on how to keep this from happening.
    Thanks guys

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'll just see first if I know what parts your talking about. Problem 1 is the spring that holds the left beater on your double pedal yes? I am going to assume that the spring hooks at the top and then at the bottom is screwed on, with the thread as part of the spring itself, and then a nut style part that screws that on and allows you to adjust the spring tension by making it tighter or looser. Problem 2 is the part that the top hi-hat is held in which then screws onto the rod to move up and down with the pedal. The part that is coming unscrewed however is the screw that actually holds the hi-hat itself, not the screw that attaches it to the rod and holds it in place. This bit

Assuming I have the right problem areas in mind, it sounds like the screw threads are shot - which shouldn't happen unless your tightneing the wrong thing onto the thread - which I doubt very much as I assume you would only be screwing on the parts that came on there - if that made sense.

The kick thing is based on vibration - in fact both are probably based on vibration - even if your not using that part, there is still vibration. If your tightening everything up as tight as you can (which I assume you would be) then I think it's probably just one of those things with a cheaper brand of hardware. While I am sure PDP (and PDPlayer) would like to say their is stuff is quality - the proof is in the pudding I'm afraid, hence why companies like Gibralter exist, and other manufacturers, like Mapex and Tama are well known for good hardware, and at any rate the 402 is their entry level pedal, so I doubt even they would say it is the best stuff around, but anyway.

I'd say your only real solution (apart from buying new hardware) would be to take the bits to a music shop, preferably a fairly big one, and replace the screws that are coming loose. Take the hardware with you so you can know your getting the right sized parts. Another, cheaper option might be to use plumbers tape on the thread where the screw is coming loose if that makes sense. So on the thread of the spring for example you wrap plumbers tape around it and then put it together. If you don't know what plumbers tape is go to any hardware store and ask for it. It basically is designed to make sure that the thread is gripping properly and won't come loose. That might work - probably the cheapest solution, but the first would be a more stable and long term solution as you are basically replacing the faulty parts.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 08-28-2007 at 07:37 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I agree with the plumbers tape idea (or a generous amount of duct tape - it fixes anything! ). Seriously, I think the plumbers tape might add just enough bulk to tighten the nut on the threads.

As to the PDP hardware, just remember, as with other manufacturers of hardware, there are multiple grades of hardware. I had a cheap hi-hat stand that came with my ddrum set. The nut under the top hi-hat kept coming loose. It bothered me so much, I bought a PDP 900 hi-hat stand, and that thing is rock solid (and not as expensive as other high end stands).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Get the PDP 900 series hardware I haven't had any trouble with mine

User Info Menu

The DW high hat clutch that would work with your high hat has a set screw on the bottom to the clutch to set the bottom nut to keep it from coming loose like you are describing. Pick one of those up and you will cure that problem. The pedal problem sounds like the allen set screw is loose on the spring adapter piece on the pedal, it is a very small set screw that uses a small allen wrench to tighten it. But from what you have descibed it sounds like that is the problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    If this happens one more time ... That guy's saying "ONE MORE TIME!" lol
    I'm really getting sick of dealing with my PDP402 pedals. On second thought, I'm really getting sick of all my PDP hardware! The main two things that I need figured out are as follows:

This problem has never happened until recently...
    The spring and all its counterparts on the left side (that hold the beater in place) of the right pedal, keep on falling completely off right in the middle of playing, forcing me to get down on my hands and knees like a monkey and find out what the hell is going on, which by the way I have failed, that is why I come to you all lol.
    To describe what happens more clearly (I don't have a camera), I'll be playing using my hi hat and right pedal, which is the strange part, and all of a sudden feel the left beater either fall back on my leg or stay straight against the bass head. The part that tightens on the bottom of the screw is the problem I believe. I've tried making more room for the thing on the screw, up to about a half an inch out the bottom, and still it falls off. My right beater has never had this problem and I'm using that as my only reference.

My stupid friggin hi hat clutch . This thing has caused me problems since I bought it, again PDP hardware. I'll tighten the clutch on the top hat just like it should be and sit it about a centimeter away from the bottom hat. I do this because the PST-3's I own sound much to open if they're farther apart. Anyway, after almost every song where I use it, not even that much sometimes, it will keep getting looser and looser on the clutch, the part that holds the top hat not the part that tightens on to the rod. It will do this until eventually it just becomes flat and flying all over the place.

My band and I have a big big show coming up next weekend so I need some tips on how to keep this from happening.
    Thanks guys

re the bass pedal= If you know your thread settings and dont need to change them use [lock tight] found at any hardware store, put a drop on the thread when you have it set and you should be fine. Also vibration is a killer use a real good drum mat, tip- find a scrap car dealer yep you heard me right.... any north american mini van will do, they all have real good thick and inexpensive carpets!! and they are a nice fit unless you are a neil peart clone.....as for the clutch,is it steel or plastic thread? if its plastic,throw it away and buy a yamaha, Ive had mine 20 years. if its steel set it lock tight it and forget it. hope this is of some help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    re the bass pedal= If you know your thread settings and dont need to change them use [lock tight] found at any hardware store, put a drop on the thread when you have it set and you should be fine. Also vibration is a killer use a real good drum mat, tip- find a scrap car dealer yep you heard me right.... any north american mini van will do, they all have real good thick and inexpensive carpets!! and they are a nice fit unless you are a neil peart clone.....as for the clutch,is it steel or plastic thread? if its plastic,throw it away and buy a yamaha, Ive had mine 20 years. if its steel set it lock tight it and forget it. hope this is of some help.
    Lock tight is a good suggestion, rat!

User Info Menu

a little late here, but yeah...locktite.

User Info Menu

chuck the clutch out - you can't get decent chinese made clutches for almost nothing....and really good ones for just a little more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    chuck the clutch out - you can't get decent chinese made clutches for almost nothing....and really good ones for just a little more.
    yup, a new clutch only cost a few quid and theres one of your problems instantly solved
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit