Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Solo's - disappointed

User Info Menu

Default Drum Solo's - disappointed

I've been out of drumming for 20+ years, and was "OK" in my time, but never great - left hand issues for sure.. but what I recalled about drum solos within songs is that, the good ones (the ones I liked), kept with the rhythm of song. What happened to this? I've listened to many generic solos in the past days and frankly, it's 'how fast can I move my hands and how many heads can I hit while doing a roll - or can I keep all symbols moving while doing some roll with my double bass drum". I would say all that I have listened to, perhaps 20, are 'more of the same'.. and I get tired of hearing it after 3-4. These drummers are no doubt, 'great' but I like a Tempo or beat I can follow that has fills to make it interesting (not sure exactly how to express this). Listen to a nice guitar solo, like Lindsey Buckingham for instance, I never tire of it - never. It's not 'behind the back, playing as fast as you can", or picking with his teeth, just cause "I can do it".. you can follow it rhythmically and to me, it's great! I appreciate drum solo's that are similar.

I'm sure others will have different opinions, but I'd of hoped to see more drum solos that were not - play as fast as you can, and more finesse.

Suppose I'm an Old School Guy.

Scott

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Solo's - disappointed

Welcome to Drum Chat Colorado_scott!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being an Old School Guy, and since opinions vary on what makes a good solo, there's also nothing wrong with expressing the type that you like. Frankly, that's what gets the discussions going. Frankly, I envy the guys with the blazing speed, because I don't have it. I also, like you, really enjoy the rhythmic solos more . . . in part because I might actually have a chance of playing them one day. LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey Scott, welcome to the forum which has plenty of "old school" drummers(among others, of course). At any rate keep looking for the drum solos from classic rock days and fusion-way more melodic than speedy. Guys like Cosy Powell, John Heisman, Ginger Baker,etc., are my inspiration.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

Speed drummers and guitar shredders are out there. Not my cup of tea or within my abilities for that matter. Stick with your tastes. You are not alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Hey Scott, welcome to the forum which has plenty of "old school" drummers(among others, of course). At any rate keep looking for the drum solos from classic rock days and fusion-way more melodic than speedy. Guys like Cosy Powell, John Heisman, Ginger Baker,etc., are my inspiration.
    I went to a John Heisman clinic once and apart from a demonstration of about 50 variations of a so called basic parradiddle which was mind blowing, one of the tips he gave to budding young drummers was; "If you start fast and loud you have nowhere to go!"

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome and the responses. Sort of thought I'd take some heat for the comments, but seems there are others that feel the same. Hey, fast and "all over" is great, but its interesting to take the different sounds of the drums and blend them together to make a solo 'understandable'.. whatever that means.

sc

User Info Menu

CS..first off welcome to the chat as well.. I am old school..and old.. when I did solo's I always started and ended with the beat-feel of the song that was playing..but thats just me..going as fast as you can...well sometimes if it feels right..but timing, sound, style is just as important if not more than just playing fast. what ever you do don't forget to......
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

The important thing to note is that one is not better but just different. It does in fact come down to taste. I happen to love fast and/or complicated drum fills where they're playing around with the time. In addition to their chops, I think it's exciting to have to practically say "1" every 4 bars to even know where they are. Just as simple drummers sometimes get a bad rap for not playing more interesting, advanced drummers sometimes get a bad rap for not playing simple or melodic enough. I think, to each his own.

Also, don't make the mistake of stereotyping advanced drummers. Many of them can play more melodically or simply "when" they want to.

User Info Menu

Drum solos should be tailored to the crowd the same way your music is tailored to the venue you are playing.

I usually put my videos on Drum Videos, and the few that like to watch them, would look for them there.

About 40 years ago, give or take a year, our guitar player wrote a song called "Voyage Towards Midnight". The title might imply something with a slower tempo, but it wasn't. I would take about 30 second solo to set the pattern up, here it takes about 4:30 before I get to the basic pattern of the song, then play a straight time, take a solo playing within the pattern, then break into something different, then back into the pattern. Needless to say, the song didn't last as long as the video.

You can play solos that stay in the rhythm, or you can vary it and still go back and finish within the beat you were playing. Sometimes with that song, I didn't take a solo at all, and sometimes it would go for 10 minutes. It always depends on the crowd reaction.

User Info Menu

I agree with you CS.............although I like the other solos too, I love the old school approach.

We all loved the solo Shrieve put on us at Woodstock within SOUL SACRIFICE.............very good.

Here's a peek in case you forgot :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0mDM0A70Fc
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yes, that's the idea for sure.. I bet no one walked out on that..

scott

User Info Menu

when i first started on this site , somebody, i cant remember who, said one of the smartest things ive ever heard, this thread reminded of it , " just because you can play something, doesnt mean you should " very smart words.. playing fast is cool ,,, but only for about 10 seconds.... im really not a huge fan of drum solos, after about 30 seconds im bored with it , doesnt matter whos playing it . for me a perfect live drum solo is show what you got in 30 seconds then get back into the song .. but thats just me ..

and welcome to drum chat ....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

The main beat is the most important to me, all that other stuff is just flash. If you wanna nail a song, just play simpler patterns and leave the half hour odysseys out! How are your bandmates going to follow along when the beat is going all over the place? It's fun for practice room, but when you start getting more serious about it you'll find using it sparingly is a winning formula.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I was never a fan of doing a drum solo, however there were times when I was called upon to do so. Maybe a technical problem with some equipment during a show ,so solo! Sometimes the crowd would call for one. Sometimes it would just be a great night and the band would want me to do one. On these occasions I openly admit I stole or borrowed the solos I did from The Song T.N.,U.C. by GFR or I did the one from the live version of Alethea by Robin Trower. I scaled the GFR one down a bit just stuck with the best parts, but both solo's flow really well.

Trower solo: Really liked doing this one, short and sweet. Starts at 2:20

http://youtu.be/K0m14xkmQaw

Here's the GFR solo: much longer more of a solo then just a drum beat.
    Starts at 2:45

http://youtu.be/A12GettHK6Y

I found both to be good because they kept a good pace and kept the crowd going. And they are both fairly easy.

User Info Menu

if i solo it's within the beat. It just feels better and sounds better to me. If the solo is set up like ''and on drums!'' then I guess it's whatever you want to do. But after about 3 or 4 minutes of avant-garde I'm ready for the band to play the next song.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

hey Rick nice video. Your drums sound good. Aquarian?. Had to go back and see when you turned the snare off.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I like to flick the snares off and just play wipeout! Everybody's jaw drops like you're playing the greatest drum solo in the world or something. Kinda funny.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have to agree with the OP. I'm not a fan of the long drawn out drum solo's. Even Buddy Rich is a little tiring after a while. I do enjoy little four bar "breaks" and such or a solo that is played against the band vamping, especially in jazz.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    hey Rick nice video. Your drums sound good. Aquarian?. Had to go back and see when you turned the snare off.

Thanks slinky.

The heads were Aquarian Super II's. I think that's what they are called.

User Info Menu

A song that comes to mind with a good drum solo, that is in time and phenomenal is the song Frankenstein by Edgar Winter. That song is awesome for drums, and has a lot of outstanding musicianship in it. A great song to jam out as well if you have a good keys player.
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Hi, m8's
    I think a solo is to either match the song its within or, if a stand-alone piece, a chance to show your musicality as well as your chops. Rise and fall, swell and diminish, flow and ebb. A planned sequence of melodic patterns (play songs with the different tones available) that flow into the next section, tell a story and keep the listeners' interest (not discounting showmanship in addition) with changes in time, volume and dynamics . Music! I like ones that have a structure like a Shakespearean play---intro, quick move to an attention-getting "crisis", denouement, picks up character/plot development in a series of waves of action and emotional heights and depths rising to the final crisis/resolution/ending. A good speech does the same.
    My $0.02
    Strider

User Info Menu

I like solos where the drums are soloing over the other instruments rather than just by themselves.

User Info Menu

Uh........

Holy crap...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Uh........

Holy crap...

Yep, the ladies are coming and are going to kick some serious butt.

This young lady is good and she's still fairly young.

Caitlin Kalafus is 1 of the fastest I've seen, male or female, and Ms Caplette plays with more "touch" than 95% of the male drummers.

User Info Menu

Never was a fan of solos at all, regardless of who it is.