Thread: Sticks for beginner?

User Info Menu

Question Sticks for beginner?

Hi guy/gals,

I've been playing for about 2 months and I finally chewed through my first pair of sticks. So I'm looking for another pair (s). Quite frankly I have no idea about what to buy. The only thing for certain is that I like the larger ones that are about 9/16 in diameter. I'm also not sure if I want nylon or wood tipped.
    Basically, I'm asking what sticks you'd recommend for a newbie.
    I have a Sam gift card so if you could recommend something they have it would be great. Do they sell sample packages that contain several different sizes and types???

Thanks again,
    Al

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticks for beginner?

the best advice anybody can give you is go to a music store and just try some , as soon as you pick up the right stick , youll know ... everybodies hands are different , what feels good to me could be totally wrong for you.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

The thing to really think about is feel. Are you wanting a heavier, or lighter weight? Heavier is great for durability, but can be a bit rough on drumheads and cymbals - it is however great to practice with a set of heavies on pad. Thinner is good for softer hitters, because they aren't too durable, but are relatively easy to use and pick up decent speed with. Personally I like medium weight on most everything I use, for the best of both worlds. I like that balance. Nylon is a tougher tip - but it creates a very defined and louder attack. Wood tip is good for awhile but unfortunately the good sound you get with them can fade after awhile as the stick loses it's original shape. Nylon doesn't, but eventually can just snap off altogether if it's a bad stick. My favorites so far are Nova 5B nylons. Do go and try some at a store if possible first, this will give you a great idea of what kind of feel works best for you.
    Last edited by Russ; 05-15-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Typically 2B is the stick for beginners because they are so big. And usually, as people progress, they move to smaller sticks. So I would recommend trying to find a size that's a little smaller than what you use now. Smaller sticks allow you to play with more speed. But just make sure you are comfortable with whatever you buy.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    Typically 2B is the stick for beginners because they are so big. And usually, as people progress, they move to smaller sticks. So I would recommend trying to find a size that's a little smaller than what you use now. Smaller sticks allow you to play with more speed. But just make sure you are comfortable with whatever you buy.
    2B as a beginner stick? I always thought like a 5A or 5B.

Either way, the only answer here is really go try some out at the store. Notable sticks include.. 5a, 5b, 7a. those are your standards, if you will. If you want a bit heavier, 2b or anything called a "Rock" stick or sometimes "Metal". Vic Firth makes a Rock stick and a Metal stick that are bother rather thick.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    2B as a beginner stick? I always thought like a 5A or 5B.

Either way, the only answer here is really go try some out at the store. Notable sticks include.. 5a, 5b, 7a. those are your standards, if you will. If you want a bit heavier, 2b or anything called a "Rock" stick or sometimes "Metal". Vic Firth makes a Rock stick and a Metal stick that are bother rather thick.
    same, 5A for me, always has been.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Vic Firth Metal they have them in both in nylon and wood THESE ARE BIG. I use now Vic Firth RockN which are a little smaller.

User Info Menu

I started with 5A, silverfox if you can find em. Very good long lasting stick for the money. I also used Danny Carey vic firth sticks because one instructor told me my thumb pain was from playing a stick too small in diameter so I used these big tree trunks for about a year. Interestingly my thumb pain slowly subsided but never went completely away and still rears it's head most gigs till I get a few songs into it.

I use all different kinds of sticks now I cannot seem to commit to just one brand or one size.. I always seem to buy some Vic Firth 5B's now and always try some new fangled stick too. The zildjian anti vibe is pretty nice.
    Last edited by MDK; 05-16-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

In my opinion, sticks are sticks...beginner or not. Find the weight and thickness that you feel fits your hands best.

For me, it's the ProMark Oak 5B. Very long lasting, since oak is harder wood than Hickory.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I started out with 5A sticks and pretty much stayed in that range for the majority of my drumming career! Go try some out, and when a pair feels perfect, buy them.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. I kind of figured I'd be taking a trip to Sam Ash but it never hurts to ask.

Al

User Info Menu

I started out with 7A because that's what came with the kit, but I soon realised they weren't the best for me. I now use 5A size, and also have some 5B I was given.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Go for a thick dense wood, whatever size you end up with. I prefer hickory, but oak is also a great choice for durability reasons.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments