Thread: Song Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Song Suggestions?

So, basically, my friend and my studio guy owes me a favor for letting him use my gear on a number of occasions. He said I could come in and do a free session and do whatever I want. I just decided to record some drum covers. What I want to do is just add my own style to the song. I don't want to strictly cover it like the original.

So far the ones at the top of my list are:

Sing, Sing, Sing - Louis Prima
    Fire Burning - Sean Kingston
    Rock and Roll Band - Boston
    Something Beautiful - Needtobreathe
    Hey Joe - Hendrix

I'm pretty sure Sing, Sing, Sing and Fire Buring are already locked in. My #1 choice was Roll With the Changes by REO Speedwagon, but the place where I'm getting my backing tracks didn't have it.

So, I'm just looking for some more suggestions. I'm looking for some songs that are fun to play along to and fun to listen to in general. I want the the other instrument parts to be somewhat simple, so it leaves more room for me to play what I want. If you know all the songs I listed, you know they're all pretty different. I'm open to pretty much any genre except hard rock and metal of today. I'm ok with classic rock.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Default Re: Song Suggestions?

Anything by Styx, Boston or TOTO will be fun yet some may prove challenging but very rewarding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Anything by Styx, Boston or TOTO will be fun yet some may prove challenging but very rewarding.
    I agree. I love all those bands and was looking into them. The problem is that I'm getting these tracks from a karaoke site where you can also purchase custom backing tracks without drums. Since it's a karaoke first site, they don't have much of the good instrumental songs from back then. Their selections are the ones that are more popular for singing karaoke. But thank you for the suggestions. I'm a huge Boston and Styx fan. This site didn't have Renegade by Styx, but they had Come Sail Away, which could be fun. I may add it to my list.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Hey Joe. Done correctly.

User Info Menu

I have always liked the idea of doing my own version of in the air tonight, singing, than playing drums over it or vice versa and the studio guy would really have to work hard to make that sound good, especially the singing...LOL

Also I would love to cover Thank you by Led Zeppelin..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Chicago...Feeling Stronger Every Day
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Aerosmith: Roadrunner:
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/