Thread: Try to play left handed drums

User Info Menu

Default Try to play left handed drums

One of the drum books that I have is called play rock drums by Joel Rothman. In it he says if you are right handed you need to play right handed and if you are left handed you need to play left handed and to set you drum set up that way. Well I have never tried to play left handed although I am left handed and play right handed. So I thought I will set up my small Ludwig element for left handed and give it a try and see what it feels like. I will post my results after I try this and give you all my feed back on it.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Try to play left handed drums

as soon as i get good enough playing right handed,,, i'll try left handed....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Personally I've been eating and writing left handed and playing drums right handed for far too long to change now.

If anything changed, I'd rather eat and write right handed and keep the drums as they are. Maybe that way I'd eat less! Lol

User Info Menu

Well I told you all I would give you my results in my attempt to play drums left handed. I suck at it I guess I started out when I was 10 yrs. old playing right handed and have been playing that way ever since. I am more comfortable playing right handed so I set the drums back to right handed and I am going to leave it there. Well any way that is my results.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

I've tried open handed which is like playing left handed, I was rubbish.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I was watching a left handed drummer at a local show here a couple weeks ago.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    I've tried open handed which is like playing left handed, I was rubbish.
    I know that feeling...I was never comfortable playing closed..the whole crossing the arms seemed stupid to me...took awhile but you;ll get it if ya want to..way more comfortable, and opens everything up for ya. plus if ya have ride/hats on both sides you can go to either if that's where ya end up in a fill, or w/e...I switch constantly, but it won't come over nite

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I know that feeling...I was never comfortable playing closed..the whole crossing the arms seemed stupid to me...took awhile but you;ll get it if ya want to..way more comfortable, and opens everything up for ya. plus if ya have ride/hats on both sides you can go to either if that's where ya end up in a fill, or w/e...I switch constantly, but it won't come over nite
    Exactly. I've been doing this for quite a while. I'm still working on triplet shuffles and swing open handed, that's not easy. My hat's off to Billy Cobham, Simon Phillips, Carter Beauford and all the others out there that make that look like a piece of cake. But I still have fun practicing it. Eighth-note hi-hat and ride with the left is a lot easier though in comparison, however the learning process never stops.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The shuffles will make ya want to rip ya hair out. Carter B. blows my mind on some of the stuff he pulls off