Thread: drumset players in marching band

User Info Menu

Default drumset players in marching band

do any of you who do drumline also play drumset. I just made my high school snare line and i'm wondering if it might improve my drumset playing.

User Info Menu

Default Re: drumset players in marching band

well any drumming will help, but playing one drum and marching around while doing it i dont think will really help that much . but thats just my opinion.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

i find it helps keeping time better. but it is part of being a complete percussionist

User Info Menu

Ya because you will be practing alot and your speed will increase you will learn rudiments. and all that fun stuff.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    Ya because you will be practing alot and your speed will increase you will learn rudiments. and all that fun stuff.
    Drumline becomes your "practice pad" for rudiments. Your kit is for hand and foot independence.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I know I posted this before, but, I haven't seen a better 1 yet.

This has some great patterns in it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    well any drumming will help, but playing one drum and marching around while doing it i dont think will really help that much . but thats just my opinion.
    I agree. When I was still in school doing drum line, I knew some guys who had amazing snare chops...but they were lost once they sat down on a kit. It's a different animal for sure.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

These guys are great as well.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It will make you set up your kit ridiculously low and flat lol.

Seriously, while there are obvious simularities they are two different beasts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    These guys are great as well.

That was definitely slick, but in watching it, I can't help wondering if the person who did the choreography did watch Drumline.

I did see a couple of things that were very similar.

User Info Menu

Either way, an hour of playing drums at school, is better than doing anything else at school. I played 4th bass in marching band. I don't know if it improved my overall drumming, but I had fun.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

After being in drumline for about 3 years in high school, there's one big thing I learned:

Marching band and drumset are two completely different monsters. Yes, there are some things that you can carry from one to the other. For example, if you keep your diddles clean, chances are you'll do much better at doing rolls on set. Rudiments are also helpful to both. But the fact here is that you are always worried about 2 things, no matter what: Your hands and your feet.

LOWER BODY during marching band is different than what you are doing on set. Because you're equally focused on what your feet are doing, what you do with your hands becomes moot. That's why you do all those rudiments and exercises. When it comes time to marching on the field, you're focused on 8 different things at once, and so it becomes necessary for you to memorize the music and put it in muscle memory so that when it comes to showtime, your feet and direction are the bigger focus. On set, you don't have to worry about as many things at one time. However, you still are focused not always on what exactly your feet are doing, but your feet basically become 2 more hands, especially in metal. So you're also focused more on the speed of your legs.

So you'd think that, because you use similar techniques and rudiments with your hands and wrists, that there would be a very many things that you could transfer from set to marching band or vice versa, but what you're doing with your legs is much different. So because of that, Marching band and set are two completely different skillsets that are both worthy of having.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Yes. I have played in my High school drumline for 3 years this year will be my forth. The stuff I learned in I can apply to the set. yes it will help you play better... your going to be playing like buddy rich

User Info Menu

the biggest difference I found from playing in the HS marching band..is YOU ARE WALKING AND TURNING AND WALKING BACKWARDS AT TIMES..not like the comfortable drum throne..but and there is always a but..i like drumming on a set more...not much use after school for a professional marching drummer.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Now if u were n pit u could play set
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

It's actually ridiculous how helpful being on a drum line helps with sets. You come up with cool, funkier beats applying some rudimentary stuff. You also get excellent chops. They go hand in hand. Both help out with the other. You should notice you getting better at both if you practice.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

For the record, I have been teaching a marching drumline and pit for the past 20 years.

Drumline will absolutely help you on drumset. It is true that you will be playing different kinds of parts, but aside from crazy-hard metal or fusion, the drumline parts are universally harder to perform. (At least on snare or tenor drums). Your hands, stamina, focus, reading, and nerve will definitely improve. Being a good drumline player does not in any way mean you will be a good set player, but if you are already competent on a throne, marching band will surely help. The same is true for concert bands and orchestras. In fact, school music and choir programs in general can only help musicians if your teachers know their stuff.

User Info Menu

^ Absolutely. I was just waiting for you to chime in Shane-O! And I'd say you'd have to have the patience of Job to teach that sort of stuff, especially with younger players that half the time just champ at the bit wanting to show off and not keeping their focus.

Even when I'm teaching kit over here at home, I'll still pull out a number of snare solo books, Stick Control etc that I went through when I started, because my start was marching snare drum as well. We had a drum teacher (who was a Canadian living over here) and he had both a drumkit and drumline background. I also still have (and still use) a big stack of handouts given to me by the guy from Rose Tattoo, Paul DeMarco, when he did a bunch of drum clinics years and years ago, which are Scottish pipe-band cadences and pieces (from his days in the Police Boys Youth Band, apparently). If you ever saw that bloke, you would never thought that was in his background as a player, until you you see him do a press roll and cadences. He's got some great hand control.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-07-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The two guys above me are exactly right, i forgot to mention that I to this year made my snare line in high school, and already sitting down at the kit, I've noticed that the practices I've been through with the line already have helped, you should notice it very soon on both sides
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I'll go even farther and make claim that playing any instrument at all, be it marching bass drum, xylophone, accordion, bagpipes - heck even Rock Band guitar can only help you musically. How much certainly depends on how related it is. Timing is our most precious skill, and playing music (in time) can only help your timing in the long run.

True story - I had a bass drum line a few years ago where 3 of the 5 of them had very bad timing. I didn't see them for a month or so over the summer, and when they came back, there was a noted improvement. When I asked if they practiced a bunch, the reply was - "No, we were too busy playing Guitar Hero."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    "No, we were too busy playing Guitar Hero."
    Yes Yes Yes
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I would like to ad a clarification to my earlier post...I was referring to " drum lines or Marching band, not of course the formal training I received from concert band..helped me LOADS in my drumming at a set! would not change a thing..but and there is always a But..if you ONLY play a tenor, snare or BD then you better learn ALL as you need the ear and feel of all things percussion to play a set. IMHO
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    No, marching snare will definitely help improve your drumset playing. Marching snare has a lot to do with rudiments, and once you learn the rudiments you can put them on drumset. You can use them as fills, as a main rhythm, pretty much anything. Take the paradiddle for instance, so many funk players use that as a main beat, and a lot use it in fills.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumm3rboy View Post
    No, marching snare will definitely help improve your drumset playing. Marching snare has a lot to do with rudiments, and once you learn the rudiments you can put them on drumset. You can use them as fills, as a main rhythm, pretty much anything. Take the paradiddle for instance, so many funk players use that as a main beat, and a lot use it in fills.
    Agreed, any type of drumming can help with the other, whether its laying down new concepts and rudiments from playing snare on the set. Or how playing an xylophone could help with your sight reading, especially four mallets will help develop finger and hand strength. Even playing marching bass will for one definitely help with building team work (which is good if you ever join a band). Even something as simple as hitting a cowbell on every quarter note will help develop good timing. It's really amazing actually how any drum can build strengths for another. In my opionon of course
    Happy Drumming!

IS15