Thread: Played My First Ludwig Kit

User Info Menu

Default Played My First Ludwig Kit

I played for an event at a friend's church, and there was also another band that would play after us. The drummer for that band offered to share his kit, which I gladly accepted (I transported a lot less gear for this gig). This guy used to live in the state of Washington, where he did a lot of gigs, and obviously has a lot more experience than I do. I didn't know what Ludwig kit he would have, so it was a surprise when he got there. It turned out that it was a Ludwig Accent Custom Standard, 5 piece. It was tuned low, had duct tape on the toms, a ZBT ride, and a couple of Zildjian A Crashes (I believe they were probably 16" & 18"). I'm not sure what the hi-hats were because there were no logos, but they might have been 13". He used an Iron Cobra bass pedal, which was nice, but it was looser than I am used to.

Ok, so I say all that to make a point. I HAD AN ABSOLUTE BLAST! The drums sounded nice, I adapted to the bass pedal, and the position of everything without any problems (ok, I caught the underside of a cymbal while warming up), and I really didn't even think much about the cymbals, I just played what was offered. During the second to last song, I was sweating so much (warm day, high humidity, and the drummer was in the sun) that I got sweating in my eyes right after the song started. Every time I opened my eyes, they'd burn like fire. I ended up playing the song with my eyes closed, and never missed a thing.

Listening to the whole kit from out front while the other drummer played, I thought everything sounded great. If there was even an ounce of drum snobbery in me, it's totally gone now!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Played My First Ludwig Kit

So would that mean there upper ends are probably nicer

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great experience PB. Thanks for sharing the report and congrats on the gig!

User Info Menu

Sounded like you had a great time Bob! Wasn't it nice to just sit down and play? So you liked the Ludwig kit huh?? Ha! Gretsch, now Ludwig? Very cool. I have both and I know what's it's like to bounce from one to the other!! Maybe a Ludwig kit for you down the road? Maybe a little G.A.S. building up again?? I see lots of nice used Ludwig kits on the market in my neck of the woods. My guess is they were traded in for DWs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Maybe a Ludwig kit for you down the road? Maybe a little G.A.S. building up again?? I see lots of nice used Ludwig kits on the market in my neck of the woods. My guess is they were traded in for DWs?
    Rich, I had an abscessed tooth develop last Thursday - very painful. Tomorrow I have a root canal appointment, and then I'll end up with a crown on that tooth. Without dental insurance, I won't be looking at kits for a while. No G.A.S. for me!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Rich, I had an abscessed tooth develop last Thursday - very painful. Tomorrow I have a root canal appointment, and then I'll end up with a crown on that tooth. Without dental insurance, I won't be looking at kits for a while. No G.A.S. for me!
    Oh no...I'm so sorry to hear about the tooth issue Bob. You toughed it out and made the gig!! Job well done!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    So would that mean there upper ends are probably nicer
    HC, you'll find good kits from all the manufacturers. It really comes down what level you can afford, what finish or wrap floats your boat, or whether you have a loyalty to a brand. For me, Gretsch has only impressed me, and has not let me down, so I'm staying with them.

User Info Menu

I am constantly amazed at how good mid level gear sounds these days. It will work in nearly every situation. A far cry from the stuff that was around when I was starting out.

Congrats on a fun time, Bob and my condolences on the dental issue.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your pain. PB. Anything dental related is tough to deal with.

User Info Menu

Cool, now you got to hear what some Luddie lovers rave on about.....feels good, doesn't it, PB?

Pity the GAS you'll have in the immediate future will be the laughing kind though. Oh well, these things happen. Keep us up to date ol' boy.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Too bad about the tooth and the sweaty eyes. I see a Luddy in your future.